How much upside does this team have

Both have exceeded mine.

2 Likes

The ceiling for this team is a national championship. If Nick Smith plays and plays up to his press clippings, we will be one of the favorites to win it all. If Nick can’t play, we will still be more talented than either of our Elite Eight teams. A Final Four appearance certainly would be no surprise.

I certainly think it would be better if he could start getting some playing time before the conference schedule starts. While I think that his talent is great, Smith must develop chemistry with the players that are winning games now.

1 Like

The tweet is gone now but I saw it last night. I think it was sent when they were struggling in the first half and it basically said that Derrian was ready to go! and had a cool photo of Derrian. His dad retweeted it. Nothing wrong with promoting your son, but can see where it could’ve been taken the wrong way so could they as they took it down. With our kids we ALL wear rose colored glasses.

I have to wonder on a 4* great kid like that if it wouldn’t be beneficial to play a year or maybe two at a Murray State or San Diego State where playing time is more abundant and plan to transfer to an Arkansas/Kansas/Duke/Kentucky once you’ve gotten the experience. Transfer rules have changed things so much.

2 Likes

Ford wouldn’t be playing at SDSU.

1 Like

Good point but u get what I’m saying.

Devo I would think would be off the bench for sure

Ford is very talented kid, extremely hard worker!! Look forward to seeing him play.

2 Likes

I’m thinking they are trying to turn Ford into a driving, distributing PG unless and until he can become a better shooter. But, that’s armchair coaching from someone who probably doesn’t know squat about coaching or evaluating.

1 Like

Indeed.

It’s remarkable, but not unexpected if you follow them on social media. I finally had to stop.

1 Like

He said:

“D. Ford. He Ready Just Give him the same opportunity and watch what he do….”

SDSU has been a Top 20 program for awhile now. Don’t let the name or conference confuse you.

They have dudes. Ford wouldn’t be in their rotation. SDSU a much better version who plays a similar style and has a similar build (Bradley).

1 Like

“Same opportunity”. This is D1 not YMCA. The Ford family Twitter is way too much.

1 Like

I’m saying! There were a lot of comments in the post. I posted that it wasn’t fair to Derrian for the uncle to post that. Other people were saying the same thing. One guy says he would play Ford over Walsh because Walsh was awful…lol

His uncle blocked me…lol…I’m being told that they won’t be here next year if he doesn’t start getting significant playing time. Just crazy to me.

1 Like

There is so much depth on this team that there are going to be a lot of really really good players sitting on the bench this year that are going to be thinking about transferring. Playing time is all about how you compete in practice and how much coach trusts you to make good decisions. If you aren’t winning practice, you aren’t going to get the PT. You either let that motivate you to get better and win the practices or you move on. There were a lot of pretty good players that moved on last year. Jaxon Robinson at BYU, KK at A&M and Chance Moore at Missouri State. Jaxon and Chance getting decent playing time, KK getting some but as competition gets tougher I predict he’s going to lose minutes. Ford looks better than all three of those players to me and if he stays and gets the experience and gains the trust of Muss he could be the next Devo or Khamani (different position). A lot of young people today don’t think they have to pay their dues. We all do, one way or another.

1 Like

Walsh is a better rebounder and defender, and is a similar shooter. He can also guard most of the positions on the court.

Ford’s entire offensive game is bully ball, getting in the paint. His handles are average. I’m not sure it translates to the SEC at 6-3 205.

They have won 30 games three times in the last 12 years and have several other years with win totals in the high 20s. They just have not had the deep tournament run that grabs the attention of people who don’t follow the sport closely before March.