How many at WMS?

Hope folks show up? 40k?
What a crappy game for WMS

Used to be such a great experience there
Probably more big wins there over time than at RRS

Times have changed, economics used to demand it but now they will to allow it. We have to accept that reality.

If u would have told me years ago that we we coukd draw 75k in RRS, I would have told you that u were loco

Ark 23. USC 7 was 40 plus years ago-wow

I know one thing, the LOUDEST crowd I ever witnessed was AR vs KY at WMS when Tim Couch was there… UNBELIEVABLY LOUD!!!

I’m with ya on the UK game with Couch…that was really loud. I’m pretty sure Couch said it was the loudest crowd he’d played in front of too…and the Auburn game in LR when Bowden coached em was a loud affair.

Y’all may recall he was recorded before the game saying “Arkansas doesn’t belong in the SEC”. Ol Danny Ford and our boys showed him otherwise that night.

I hate it for central Arkansas, but it’s hard to fault the University. There may be a day when it will be advantageous for the Hogs to return to playing in Little Rock, but when you can draw 70,000-plus in RRS, that’s a lot of dough to pass up. There have been some remarkable games at WMS, like the LSU miracles, the UK game and some wars with Ole Miss. But time marches on …

I hate to bust your bubble, but RRS would not be close to 70k for this game. Throw in the weather and would be good to get 45k @RRS.

There may have been that much for the first game of the year

60 min at RRS
40 min at WMS

Bama & Auburn stopped playing games in Birmingham many years ago.
Ole Miss & MS State stopped playing games in Jackson many years ago.
In fact, Ole Miss used to play a home game in Memphis every year, but no more!
We’ve been blessed to have Mr Stevens here to keep games in LR as long as we did.
Maybe folks on the Hill can do something to improve the tailgating atmosphere.

Bama & Auburn stopped playing games in Birmingham many years ago.
Ole Miss & MS State stopped playing games in Jackson many years ago.
In fact, Ole Miss used to play a home game in Memphis every year, but no more!
We were blessed to have Mr Stevens here to keep games in LR as long as we did.
Maybe folks on the Hill can do something to improve the tailgating atmosphere.

I guess it depends on where you park. I have parked in the big lot 5 right beside WMS for years, and it’s basically just a parking lot. I park in Lot 25 in Fayetteville, right beside the student union, and it’s a spectacular place to tailgate. Lot’s of big shady trees all around, the student union is right there, and it’s a short little walk to the stadium east side entrance. They have in the past few years started renting out spots along the hill right beside us for larger tailgates, which has added to the atmosphere. Lots of large tents set up, with none of the outright drunken misbehavior that can happen at times at the WMS golf course. Ever since they have added games to Fayetteville, the tailgating and pregame experience has continued to improve. Before that, when there was only 3 games on campus, I would agree with anyone that the pregame tailgating experience there was basically none. I would strongly argue that it is quite good now, at least around the lots close to the stadium. Can’t speak for what it’s like back out by Baum Stadium, I park way closer than that.

Tailgating is what you make of it no matter where it is. I’ve been going to games in both stadiums for decades, and the main difference I see is that Little Rock has a lot of people show up just to tailgate who don’t even have tickets. Does that make that much of a difference? I don’t think so. Otherwise I see good tailgating in Little Rock and I see good tailgating in Fayetteville, especially in the gardens south of the stadium. If the police are trying to keep things from getting quite so rowdy in Fayetteville, that’s not a bad thing.
Regarding the weather, the national weather service has now bumped the rain probability for Thursday night up to 40 %. Nothing yet on how much rain they’re expecting, but I’m sure that will change three or four times before the game anyway

Fayetteville will always be limited by the hills and lack of large parcels of flat space to create the density of tailgaters. The great tailgating schools usually have the density from large parcels of relatively flat spaces to set up a little city. See and be seen is a big element.

You’d get more than 50,000 in RRS for a season opener even against a team like Florida A&M. But, even not, the point was not just concerning this game but the potential for every game. It’s not a knock on WMS. But if you’re going to put all the money into RRS, then you have to play the games there. It makes sense (dollars and cents).

In 2014 we played Nicholls State in the home opener coming off a 10-game losing streak. Nicholls State was at least as bad as FAMU, maybe worse, and I don’t think fan optimism was very high after Auburn crushed us in the opener. Yet we got 63,000 attendance for that game.
I tried to see how many tickets were still available for Thursday night, but the UA ticket website no longer makes it easy to check that, at least on this tablet I’m using. I can tell that most of the available seats are in the South End Zone. The other question of course is how many tickets don’t get used, and the weather will have a lot to do with that.
I don’t particularly want to dredge up the GSD right now. That decision is going to be made way above my pay grade and probably above Jeff Long’s pay grade.

I remember several years ago probably back to HN we had a high profiled recruit in for visit who saw Razorback Stadium and made comment Oh yeah the other half of your stadium is in LR. Needless to say we didn’t get him but he made a very good point! We have a hard enough time recruiting without putting up obstacles!

45,000. Won’t look good on TV, but it’s what it is.

If there are 45,000 in attendance I will be amazed. It was always going to be a late decision for many with the lame opponent and the Thursday date creating traffic jam nightmares and minimal tailgating. Now with the chance of the Hurricane Harvey remnants drenching the stadium, that will be a hard number of butts to get into the seats at kickoff. Don’t want to restart the GSD either but if their intent was to get the lowest turnout possible, the lame opponent and the mid-week date added to Hurricane Harvey makes it their “perfect storm.” :sunglasses: JMVVVVHO.

38,000 max.