How long must we suffer?

Hogball is not coming back but he can’t accept this…It’s time to let MA go !!!

That’s a pretty strong statement. Right now, I think Coach A is at a crossroads. He’s got a senior laden team that playing horribly. In the next few games, we’ll find out if he can get this team going again or fail miserably. If he can’t make the dance with this team, then I agree with you.

I said it in good times and I will say it again now. Coach Mike Anderson is the man I want leading our program and molding these young men. Yeah it stinks to be going through such a bad stretch of basketball. This too shall pass. Stay strong Coach. I gotcha back!

As we all found out with CBB it’s not about molding young men, it’s about winning and many fans will say it’s about winning at any cost, I’m not particularly in the camp of “at any cost”. WPS

Can we finish the season first? Thanks.

FYI we made the NCAA tournament and the SEC Championship game 2 out of the last 3 years. I’m not happy with how we are playing (particularly defense), but there are a lot of games left to play.

It isn’t looking good because this is a repeat of last year. I found one of my old posts from last year’s meltdown…scary similarities. Here it is…

"Vandy is a patient passing offense that likes to swing the ball around the perimeter until they find a good shot. They usually find someone open on the back side. Our trapping man and man were used in the first 2 games against Vandy. The game in BWA was painful to watch as our Man left us out of position with a wide open Vandy shooter. We got down 25-4 with our man and never could recover. We didn’t have Trey playing at this level then, we didn’t have the level of performance we have now back then either, and the match up zone we use is better than our Man. Man needs to be used to speed up the game to get into their legs in their 3rd game in 3 days…but sparingly used to change up rhythm. We can’t start in man and let them get a 25-4 lead in their home town.

Our trapping Man defense allows dribble penetration; especially when MK is covering a guard at the 3 pt line. Our trapping man and man are not good while also allowing easy outside shots like what you would normally expect from a zone. A team with multiple outside shooters will kill our man defense with “Man Busters” instead of Zone busters.

Trapping man or man has left us out of position or out manned in half court. Mike adjusted by using more a matchup zone that led to us winning 7 of the last 8 games. Kingsley and Thompson are good together in the zone which has led to our best offense and defense during this 8 game stretch. Moses Kingsley is better in the zone because he is close to the basket instead of covering a guard on perimeter. Moses will not try to switch back when he gets stuck on a guard. Odd. Our defensive rebounding is better when we are in Zone too because our bigs are under the basket. OM killed us last night by getting over 20 offensive rebounds.

The full court press is not as effective against a 3 point shooting team because if they break it they have someone camp out on 3 pt line instead of finishing at the rim. It is tough to see one of our guys under the basket while a shooter is all alone behind the 3 pt line with an un contested shot."

I am in full support of coach Mike!

If it is indeed a “repeat” of last year, then Arkansas will steady itself and be in the tournament.

[quote=“HogTreat”]

It isn’t looking good because this is a repeat of last year. I found one of my old posts from last year’s meltdown…scary similarities. Here it is…

"Vandy is a patient passing offense that likes to swing the ball around the perimeter until they find a good shot. They usually find someone open on the back side. Our trapping man and man were used in the first 2 games against Vandy. The game in BWA was painful to watch as our Man left us out of position with a wide open Vandy shooter. We got down 25-4 with our man and never could recover. We didn’t have Trey playing at this level then, we didn’t have the level of performance we have now back then either, and the match up zone we use is better than our Man. Man needs to be used to speed up the game to get into their legs in their 3rd game in 3 days…but sparingly used to change up rhythm. We can’t start in man and let them get a 25-4 lead in their home town.

Our trapping Man defense allows dribble penetration; especially when MK is covering a guard at the 3 pt line. Our trapping man and man are not good while also allowing easy outside shots like what you would normally expect from a zone. A team with multiple outside shooters will kill our man defense with “Man Busters” instead of Zone busters.

Trapping man or man has left us out of position or out manned in half court. Mike adjusted by using more a matchup zone that led to us winning 7 of the last 8 games. Kingsley and Thompson are good together in the zone which has led to our best offense and defense during this 8 game stretch. Moses Kingsley is better in the zone because he is close to the basket instead of covering a guard on perimeter. Moses will not try to switch back when he gets stuck on a guard. Odd. Our defensive rebounding is better when we are in Zone too because our bigs are under the basket. OM killed us last night by getting over 20 offensive rebounds.

The full court press is not as effective against a 3 point shooting team because if they break it they have someone camp out on 3 pt line instead of finishing at the rim. It is tough to see one of our guys under the basket while a shooter is all alone behind the 3 pt line with an un contested shot."

[/quote] Probably could find a similar post in each of the last 7 years. the failure of Mike to adjust & improve will be his downfall. The kids he coaches deserve better

Dudley, I think it is bad that we have the repeat scenario instead of an adapt and improve scenario. So far we have repeated the BAD portion but we don’t know if the Good part is coming (NCAA Tourn).

No way should we say it’s time for MA to go…yet. Let’s see how the season plays out. If we play in Feb the way we’ve played in January, I might agree with you, but it’s simply premature.

You said this is a repeat of last year. You can’t say that without taking all of last year in.

Of course it would be best if it was adapt and improve scenario, which is what they did last year as the season hit the stretch and have done the last four Febs.

They were 16-4 at one point last season. They also were 1-3 in SEC play and eventually 6-5 in SEC play before going on a run and winning road games at A&M, LSU, South Carolina and at Auburn while also losing home games to Vandy and Florida.

We are beginning to see how important Dusty, Moses and Manny were to the mix.

While Daniel Gafford has stepped in for Moses, it’s safe to say that the others have not been made up for in this stretch here - which followed the same 11-2 start they had a year ago - albeit this year’s was against better competition.

Coach Anderson is the right man for the job! The players are not playing defense.
That’s not his fault. We sure aren’t suffering like you think! I may be disappointed by the way this team has played in a few games I’m in MA corner.
I feel as if we will be better off when these seniors are gone. This team is missing a true point guard and has an attitude that affects the way they play.
The failures of this team is reflected by their poor free throw shooting! Regardless how this season goes I’m supporting our coach ! Musical chairs gets us no where! We have suffered through enough of that.

Sorry the excuse of no point guard is getting old. Mike and his recruiters get to pick the players. Either they aren’t recruiting well enough or they can’t evaluate talent. That’s on the coaches.

How are you so sure he is the right man for the job? It is his job to get the players to perform at a high level. It is his job to put them in a position to succeed. It is a myriad of weaknesses that cause this down turn. There are systemic issues that are Mike’s choice to use like the failed trapping defense, bad switching so bigs get stuck on a guard on the perimeter, which leads to bad rebounding, terrible floor spacing on offense, terrible movement without the ball, dribbling until they lose the ball, etc…and yes Free Throw shooting

This.

The Emperor’s new clothes are lovely.

I am beginning to think the fanbase is only happy when we fire a coach and bring in a new one. As we have seen in both sports, it is a 50/50 toss up as to whether or not the change will work. Stan Heath and Pelfrey sure didn’t turn around hawgball. At least Mike has been in the SEC championship game, been to the tournament a few times and has a great recruiting class combined with some pretty good players now on the hill.

I don’t want a Bruce Pearl or Ben Howland leading our team. Sorry.

Recent trend shows this.

Other than Kentucky, only SEC team in the last 3 yrs

1. Make NCAAT twice
  2. Two SEC Championship games
  3. Best SEC road record second tonKentucky
  4. Most SEC wins

Why would a decision maker want a coaching change at this time with RPI sitting at 25 and BWA selling out on Saturdays? Coaching changes are made on trends and revenue. You need to make your case better.

The small minority that want Mike fired have the bar set a bit to high. Do we not remember the years where the Selection Sunday came on and we didn’t get to watch? I know this ream has flaws and I have pointed out a few that drive me crazy but it would not be in anyone’s best interest for Mike to move on. He is a good coach with a good, not great team. It could be worse. We have lived that before.

In all fairness, we have had several years with Mike where we didn’t watch on Selection Sunday.

Not saying he should be fired.