How long does it take to build a program

That seems to be a topic that deserves some discussion. In this age of instant gratification, and let’s be honest…massive coach’s salaries…the amount of time coaches are “allowed” to build and produce a winner has shrunk.

But how long does it/should it really take?

The only point of reference I have is my own career. I know how long it took me to develop relationships with directors, overcome hurdles I inherited, start getting the type of kids I wanted, and to do something productive on the national level. I have a nationally prominent program…and am in year 19. But it took 7 years before things got rolling. And I didn’t have to “compete” against other schools one on one and risk getting my brains beat in on national tv.

In my opinion…if you are taking over a program with talent…and which is not laden with academic and attitude problems…producing a winner can happen pretty fast. That is what set’s the expectations for many, many fans. If school A can…then why not us?

More patient people sometimes say you gotta “give a coach 5 years”…

But if you inherit problems…is 5 years really enough? Expecting big things in year 5 infers that the first couple of recruiting classes at a new school will be really fruitful. I can tell you in my career they were not. I had to create or deepen relationships before I really landed some blue chippers. I think it might actually take more like 7 years…that is, if you don’t inherit the sort of talent you need to do your thing. Whatever your things is.

Judging by that timeline…it might actually be more appropriate to expect bigger things next year than this year. CBB’s last couple of classes seem to have been fruitful producing kids suited to the current staff. Just a look at the roster shows alot of player who are probably one year…maybe two…from being major players. Even some kids on the field right now will, IMO, be VERY good next year.

My point is…if this staff can win enough to survive this season…a significant “if” judging by the mood of many…I think the pieces will be in place (and the schedule more favorable) for a really good year next year…even with a new QB. Kelly will at least be a redshirt sophomore…with more time to learn than BA had, certainly.

OK…haters open fire. But I really think how long it takes to build when inheriting disarray should be re-thought. And not just for CBB. But for all coaches.

When Petrino “ditched us” it was the worst time possible besides being signing day. April 1st, the we hire Coach Smith as a care taker. Coach B gets the job, he tells us 7 years. Two years to build relationships to recruit. We started decent we are seeing those recruits come through the system now. I think I see more team speed with the younger kids! We will be better! This one might take a little longer!

I think it depends on large part how good the coach is. But there are plenty of examples of coaches getting things on track by at least year five much less six or seven. A few:

Justin Fuente at Memphis inherited a dumpster fire at Memphis that went 2-10 and 1-11 before he arrived. His first year was 4-8 followed by 3-9 then things got rolling 10-3 and 9-4.

Chris Petersen takes over at Washington and the first season looks like his predecessors at 7-6. The second season they are 12-2 and in the playoffs.

Mike McEntyre at Colorado first three seasons sub .500 but 10-3 last year and off to a good start this season

In what was historically the worst program of all time Kansas State under Bill Snyder started 1-10 had its first 7 win season in year three and was off and running with 9 wins in year five. Again, an absolutely moribund program when he arrived.

An absolute awful human being, but Petrino was rolling by year three at Arkansas.

Having a problem established and on rock solid footing by year five is a very reasonable expectation.

With Bielema it would be one thing if it was apparent they are building towards something. Rather this team has been regressing ever since the historic shellacking it endured on the Plains last October.

If Bielema ever “told us7 years” I don’t recall it. Have a link to an article or video clip?

It would be showing in year 5 if it was there. Instead we are about the same team we were 5 years ago, at this point.

You’re always willing to give more time f the product on the field is encouraging or showing progress. We saw regression last season, and so far this season. Thats when you stop the more time bologna.

Each situation is different.

Frank Beamer most likely wouldn’t have made it in today’s climate. It was year seven before he started winning.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/co … mer-1.html

Coach K started winning in year eight.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/co … ski-1.html

Not making excuses for CBB in year 5, but he couldn’t have took over this program at a worst time. We were reeling at warp speed downward from the BP incident & JS fiasco. On top of that the rest of the SECW was going warp speed upward legally & illegally.

BP was/is a great coach, his teams were not full of Bama type talent but he won. If they had been full of Bama talent Smith would have won with them a lot more than he did. Instead things went south & got out of control, coaches/players just threw in the towel.

Now that the SECW is not as strong as in years past, it should be time for us to make a move upward, but we seem to have leveled off in mediocre land with the rest other than Bama of course.

In the past Coach Broyles had us rolling in 2-3 years…Coach Holtz immediately, Coach Hatfield pretty danged quick, Coach Nutt in year 1, Coach Petrino in year 2. The circumstances of each hire is different depending upon a lot of factors, the most important being what type of squad was left for the new coach.

Coach Bielema’s team was better in year 3 than in year 5. Has he reached his ceiling? Only time will tell, if he is given more time. My vote, and I know I don’t have a vote, is that 5 years is plenty of time to see if he can do it. I am 69 years old and don’t have the luxury of time in waiting for an SEC Championship for the Arkansas Razorbacks.

In year 5, I see a bad defensive team, poor special teams and an inability to develop that “winning edge” a coach has if he is a good coach. We seem to lose the winnable games. That is not a good quality for a coach. When to give up on a coach and fire him is an extremely tough decision for any athletic director…if not the toughest thing he must do. Jeff Long’s job is to get this decision right. Grind away, Jeff.

Varies. But, not sure how this happened, but CBB screwed up the O-line recruiting. After that first class, things have not gone well. That is a big part of our problem. Not saying that fixes everything, but it would certainly help. Then, of course there is the defense…

I’m not sure JFB would have survived the 67 season if the Inner Webs had been around. That punting on 3rd down strategy would have caused an air traffic control nightmare over the stadiums.

But are we sure? That 2015 team began 1-3 with losses to Toledo, Texas Tech and Texas A&M, and was 2-4 at the midway point. I remember a lot of fan comments in September 2015 being similar to the ones I’m reading now, but that team ultimately was remembered as being a good one.

It’s just too early to say this team is better or worse than Year X. It might be worse or it might be that the losses were to two pretty good teams.

Given that he had a record of 29-3 including a national championship and two SWC championships in the previous three seasons, I think even internet fans would have conceded Coach Broyles a bit more time after the '67 season.

He is here to stay for at least until completion of this year no doubt, so the very best thing we can do is support the the program and see where we are at the end of the season. There’s a very good opportunity for this team to get better, especially after seeing the coaches open up the playbook and become more aggressive. I know the question was how long does it take and it comes down to two answers the right way and the wrong way, the wrong way includes NCAA sanctions and poor graduation rates. WPS

There’s vast improvement off the field. That’s for sure. It’s very true about developing relationships and networking in recruiting. The winning at all cost analogy is for the birds. Whether it’s a win or a loss play the game with respect and class.
Set an example and standards that are enforced period.
The recruiting has gotten better in these last 2 classes. The record stinks for now.
At least now there’s hope that Cole Kelley and the rest of the young players can get it done on the field.
My major complaint that I have observed watching the hogs Coach B is predictable and plays conservative (scared) plays not to get beat than plays to win. Go for the opponents throats and put games out of reach.
There’s no logical reason to start over and go through this again. Stick with him for at least the next 3 years. I want Coach B to win on the hill.
If folks want to win now push to move to a cupcake conference. The SEC West is pretty tuff!

The fight he’s walked into at Arkansas is like no other Arkansas coach ever…nothing coming out of what should be your talent base…Little Rock. How long would Nutt have survived without LR? Or Holtz or Broyles for that matter? He gives us a chance because he can go get talent not in his backyard. We just need more.

Bingo. Each situation IS different. Examples of “dumpster fires at Memphis” don’t mean anything. We don’t really know what was going on there. At least I doubt anyone on here knows. Losing and “dumpster fires” aren’t the same thing. Our program had a lot of problems following BP’s drive into the ditch.

The players seem to both love & respect CBB. That wasn’t true with BP. It didn’t appear to the case with HDN–at least not in end. I’m perfectly content giving him 7 or even 8 years to take us to another level. I think our chances of getting there in that time frame are better under him than by some unknown new hire.

Good posts, Hogmaestro & Richard.

You could add Saban at Michigan St to the list:
<LINK_TEXT text=“https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sc … edule.html”>https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/michigan-state/1998-schedule.html</LINK_TEXT>

Michigan State finished 10-2 in his 5th year. That was the payoff year after the program rebuild. He then left for LSU.

At Arkansas, all the time you need.

No dumpster fire as of yet. If we end with only three wins I think he is gone. He might survive with four wins and if he gets to five I think he will be retained.
I am hoping for a bowl and a win. I think he can continue to gain further in recruiting with seven wins.
If we have to start over with a new coaching staff, it
could get really, really bad. I agree with Neastarkie.
The one positive would be that the cupboard will be
in much better shape than when he arrived at Arkansas.