How hard is the HUNH spread read option offense to learn..................

…compared to a pro-style? You hear comments that imply the receiver routes and quarterback reads are much simpler than in a true pro-style offense. Is that true? You hear comments that the pros really prize offensive linemen coming from pro-style college teams because the learning curve and training to convert HUNH spread offensive linemen to a pro style is a long one. Was that just propaganda from the previous regime or truth? If true, will the conversion from pro to spread be easier for Arkansas than the other way around?

What I’ve read is that college spreads frequently predetermine where the pass will go, by taking away half the field or something like that. The QB doesn’t read the D, just makes the play fake and throw.

Almost all of the quarterbacks on campus as well as on the way played the HUNH spread read option in high school. I assume, one reason it is so popular in high school is it is simpler to install and run than a sophisticated pro style attack. Malzahn has gone out and gotten a JC or transfer QB four times and they have come in and all ran his offense well right away. So, I am guessing the install of CCM’s offense will not take that long. The real questions are “what will our talent level LET him install at Arkansas” and “how long will it take to get the talent he needs to run his offense well?”

For sure, the quarterback coming to campus in the summer, Connor Noland, ran almost the same offense as Morris runs. Rick Jones got it from Gus and Chad. It should be easy. Also, most high school coaches are now running this offense. Should make sense to most everyone. The key is for coaches to figure out what fits the talent. Calling plays and schemes generally revolves around what a player can do. They will need time to figure that out, but I bet it happens quickly.

The thing I like about the spread offense it gives the illusion that you’re going to pass the ball when you are going to run it you typically get no more than 6 in the Box which is a offensiveve lineman’s dream. Much easier to run counters and Powers against 6 than 8 or 9

And the fewer numbers that are in the box, the tougher it is to blitz. You just don’t have to have as many fixes. The RPO is the answer to a lot of problems. I keep waiting for the NCAA to legislate something to hold linemen at the actual line of scrimmage. Maybe it’s just going to stick and the offenses MUST take advantage of such a rule.

The NCAA has to step in and keep lineman from moving down field. It gives the Offense an advantage that is almost impossible for the defense to overcome.