How Did This Staff Do It?

I’ve read on this site and others for years how difficult it is to get highly rated African American athletes to consider the University of Arkansas.

Now we have a staff that’s only been here a couple of months and hosted the most four star recruits ever to set foot on campus. And these recruits came on their own dime.

This begs the question:

How were they able to accomplish what other staffs could not?

[quote=“JacksonReid”]

I’ve read on this site and others for years how difficult it is to get highly rated African American athletes to consider the University of Arkansas.

Now we have a staff that’s only been here a couple of months and hosted the most four star recruits ever to set foot on campus. And these recruits came on their own dime.

This begs the question:

How were they able to accomplish what other staffs could not?

[/quote]Sexy offense.

Really impressive if you ask me.

Can’t wait to see what he can do when he begins to actually coach games and hopefully win. Recruiting really could skyrocket. I think we will see our first top 20 class this year.

Relationships despite just being here for a couple of month. Staying in contact.

Thanks Richard - are you saying these coaches did a better job of staying in contact with kids than previous staffs did? If so is it a matter a better work ethic, better organization, or both?

Sounds to me like “all of the above” but a great question nonetheless!

They are getting better results because they’re working at it a lot harder and smarter.

It would seem their relationship not only with the kids but the coaches. It’s an interesting question. The key now is landing some of those 4*s. That won’t be the easy part, but I’ll not underestimate this staff, either.

I hear you guys, and getting the kids on campus is huge, but it’s not the same as signing. One of the reasons the powers that be hired Morris was his long standing ties to Texas football. He’s been recruiting these coaches for years. Now that he’s at an SEC school we’'ll see how he closes. I am excited, but been disappointed enough over recruiting to want to see something before I buy into it 100%.

Side note: BB best class was his first. Just let that sink in for a minute.

Another side note: so was BP’s, his best class was his first.

I think it’s safe to say that chads first class will be his worst, and I think he did a good job, but by the rankings he will get much better classes as expected.

Fair point about TX relationships, but the amount of talent visiting from TN and OK is also very impressive.

I think Chad’s first class is really the one he’s working on now: 2019. It’s hard to hold any coach to the class he signs after only 2 months on the job. I’d say the same for every coach we’ve had, but this year especially with the early signing period.

Great point about the early signing class… a very difficult situation for any new coach to deal with.

Although we just see short clips of various things CM does or says, I was blown away the day I watched his first speech to the team. From the moment I watched that video I thought we had a coach with the charisma & energy unlike any I’ve seen at Arkansas probably in my 40 years of being a Razorback fan. I know for certain it’s way different than we’ve had for years and years. To me it’s on a whole different level than the last 5/6/7 coaches. Since that first video I’ve watched several other video clips of press conferences etc and the same personality jumps out to me. Seems pretty logical to me that same personality is why he has great and lasting relationships with HS coaches in Texas and with recruits. I’m still cautiously optomistic about actually closing on the elite recruits but I do believe he has a high probability of doing it cause of his personality and energy.

Yeahp, I agree with both of you.

He was given an unprecedented, very tough situation and I think he did a good job.

CCM had me when his first words to his team were “everybody sit up straight with both feet on the floor and put down your drinks”. Those kids immediately knew that CCM had high expectations and was serious about doing things right.

I’m impressed with his start. It would be shocking to me if he is not wildly successful at Arkansas.

Yep. Great point. BP kinda fell into the type of instate talent not seen often. Looks like 2019 is stacking up to be similar.

To start with, the previous coaches never had the early signing date to deal with as Coach Morris did.

So any comparison has to include that dynamic and that there weren’t a ton of great players left for Feb. this time

Coach Petrino certainly turned around Joe Adams, but Tim Horton and quarterback signee Jim Youngblood did more to keep that first class than Petrino does.

Coach B’s first staff - which was his best on the field and off in my opinion - got some key guys late, some they had been on - to really help that class out.

I continue to be baffled by the attacks on Coach B’s staff as lazy. That just bull.

In the end they didn’t get enough players to stay employed, but to say they were lazy and didn’t try is just silly.

This staff did a good job of pinpointing a date and getting into a situation where a few coaches brought a lot of players.

The 50 or so that were on campus this weekend were probably the best ever in one weekend here.

But the former staff got a lot of players on campus during the spring and summer as well, just not as much quality in a single weekend.

The reasons he is called lazy and/or Bert:

1. He didn’t win enough
  2. He is overweight.

(Not necessarily in that order).

I’ll add that some it is media driven. I didn’t hear a bad word from media about Long when he was here and now he is painted as inept and out of touch.

It’s not hard to look at Bielema’s recruiting and see that on paper he did as well as everyone else here and landed many more head-to-head against blue bloods than his predecessors.

In the end he lost because he wasn’t able to land enough playmakers on defense, (ironically) several of his higher-ranked OL didn’t pan out and he had perpetual issues at LB.

He also lost a disproportionate number of close games in which he had big leads. IMO much of that was because he was too conservative with leads and had poor kickers.