Hope Williams injury is not serious

Replay showed it was just a little twist but he stayed down. Was moving arms and legs. Hope he is ok. Prayers going out.

Thats good news. I didn’t see him moving his legs.

Update: injury diagnosed as a stinger. Great news!!

Announcers just said the information they got was that is is just a Stinger,
but with his medical history, they took all precautions and checked to be sure.

Major sigh of relief there!!

I’m glad he’s OK, but that had to have scared the heck out of his family. I’m sure there will be serious discussions in the Williams family about Rawleigh’s future.

Rawleigh wanted to get up. He said he wanted to walk off the field. Doctors wouldn’t let him up. He said it was very embarrassing to be seen like that. The real issue might be from his mom. She didn’t want him to play football after the earlier injury. She was very emotional Saturday when she came on the field, as you might suspect.

His brother looked very emotional too. I would not be surprised if that wasn’t the end to his career. Like Clay said, depending on his mother. At some point, the risks overcome the possible benefits.

Sometimes football & athletics as a whole just aren’t that important any more.
Either way Raliegh is forever a Razorback.

Absolutely. Love Rawleigh, but I know if he was my son, I would strongly urge him to hang it up. He’s a great kid, seems smart and has a good head on his shoulders. Could succeed at anything in life, and maybe it needs to be something besides playing football. I bet he could be a great coach, not sure what his study is, but from interviews he seems like a guy who could communicate effectively to players also relate to them. I’m sure he and his family will talk long and hard about it, and ultimately I’ll support his decision!

That’s going to be the big thing.

Continuing to play versus the risk.

It is entirely possible that, post-surgery, RW3 has no more risk of a further neck injury than anyone else playing this violent game. Possibly even less, depending on unconfirmed details of exactly what the surgery entailed.

But the psychology also may be more important than the actual risk.

Rawleigh Williams: “I want a break out season in 2017,” I want to try to be the best in the country. I want to be the best as far as ability to run the ball, short yardage, pass block and every other category you can name. I want to be the best.”

I 'm thinking he is gonna continue.

I am really nervous about this injury. I would not like it at all if it was my son. I understand all of the consternation from the family and I think there is plenty of that right now. Neck injuries are very serious injuries. I do think there are serious worries right now. I hope he can play football, but I think there are reasons to worry.

I agree, I think it might be time for him to think about hanging it up and trying to move on to the next phase. He will always be a razorback and well remembered…

Absolutely. Love Rawleigh, but I know if he was my son, I would strongly urge him to hang it up. He’s a great kid, seems smart and has a good head on his shoulders. Could succeed at anything in life, and maybe it needs to be something besides playing football. I bet he could be a great coach, not sure what his study is, but from interviews he seems like a guy who could communicate effectively to players also relate to them. I’m sure he and his family will talk long and hard about it, and ultimately I’ll support his decision!
[/quote]

All I know about his most recent injury is what I read on this message board. Based on the information rendered here, I would encourage the young man to aggressively pursue his education and enjoy memories of his playing time. He is a Razorback who has shown tremendous courage since his first injury and will always be one of my favorites regardless of continuing to play!

I want what is best for him. That being said from what I have read on this board is that the injury was NOT related to the previous injury and was just a “Stinger”. I know the Mom is probably worried sick and I would be too, but if the injuries are not related and the second one is not serious or could lead to serious outcomes from it, I would have a very hard time walking away myself.

I hope Rawleigh does what’s best for Rawleigh, not the UofA or the fans. RWIII has a good future ahead of him, either in football or out of it. I don’t know how many times a family can watch their loved one being loaded up on a cart and taken out by ambulance even if it is all just a precaution. Obvioiusly, the first time was for something much worst than a precaution. Every time after that will always bring back memories of the first time. Hopefully for RWIII, there will never be another time, whether he plays again or not.

Clay, I have been waiting for you to weigh in on this. If you are worried, I am worried. I assume you know some things. You always do.

I am with you. If it were my son, I’d be very worried. In fact, I think I would be urging him to never play again. Life is too precious. Football is a great game. But it is a game. It is not his whole life.

From what I understand it’s not related to the first injury in some ways, but they are always related in the neck.

The previous injury was a broken vertebra that was stabilized to take pressure off the disk. What you have is that the vertebra and the discs around them are sometimes are in more jeopardy after the first surgery. If one is an issue, there can be others that develop into issues. I think that’s what this is, although no one is saying for sure.

He lost feeling with the new injury. That’s not a good sign. Again, I don’t feel good about this at all based on what I know about the first injury and this one.

Thanks Clay. Just now saw this. I hope the kid hangs up the cleats. Unless by some minor miracle he is told there is no greater-than-usual risk in continuing to play. But that seems like a faint hope. At least based on the info I’ve read.

Kid will be a great great person for a long time. I hope he moves on to the next part of his life sooner than later.