Honoring Frank

Herad Clay mention it today on the radio. I agree 100%. He said the best way to honor Frank was for the team to be sound on special teams. Frank’s were always. Remember the 4 don’ts in the kicking game? He always had great, not good, great place kicking and kickoffs There was a sound return game that often led the nation. I remember showing up for the games and looking at the wind. I loved it when we were going into a strong wind because that meant that they would often “outkick” the coverage which was deadly against Frank’s teams, yet he always said the number one thing was to catch the ball.

I remember 1 block against Arkansas by Earl Campbill. There may have been more, but if so, it was very rare.

We almost never “lost” the Special Team game. That led to many of the wins - the greatest being Hatfield against Texas. Frank insisted on solid special teams.
Since Frank left the sidelines, I can’t remember teams that were as close to solid as those teams. Perhaps there would have been more Ws if there had been.

Frank would love to it.

[quote=“ColoradoHog”]
I remember 1 block against Arkansas by Earl Campbill. There may have been more, but if so, it was very rare.

[/quote]Most don’t remember, but Texas blocked Cary Stockdell’s punt on the final play of the first half in the Big Shootout. I believe they would have had the ball around our 20 or so - but there was no more time left in the half.

I’m sure there are others - I’m pretty sure we had one or two blocked during the Nutt era, but don’t remember any in the Broyles years offhand. However, the Stockdell punt, I’m certain about.