Hogs only SEC team to make Sweet 16

… thankful Muss is our coach – Barnes, Pearl and Cal may be good recruiters, but :clown_face: 's

Wax

2 Likes

Now we’re making money for all the teams in the SEC…

@mrbswax :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It is what it is……we’re still a football conference.

Yeah, disappointing and embarrassing. Expected better from SEC this year. Nope.

1 Like

The sec has never done the Hogs any favors, the only sec team I root for is our Hogs

6 Likes

This is why the SEC isn’t respected as a basketball confrrence

1 Like

Whatever. The SEC has done just fine in the tournament. Had one of the best records in 2017 and 2019 and plenty of other years. This was a bad year in the tourney for the conference. It happens. No need to draw grand conclusions of a failed conference that don’t exist.

1 Like

I’m not the one drawing conclusions on a single bad year and if you had paid any attention to the myriad of posts about the lack of respect for the SEC and you would see it. Multiple high bid teams losing to lower seeds is a poor showing, no matter how much you want to say it isn’t. And it isn’t a single year. The SEC fails to perform well in the post-season year after year. Historically, you have Kentucky, Florida and Arkansas. The rest are pretty much trach in basketball.

Well, South Carolina made the Final Four in 2017, and Auburn made the Final Four in 2019…

Exception, not the rule. Generally speaking, they suck year in and year out.

If my calculations are correct, this is our 13th Sweet 16. I looked it up bc some media darling school kept getting mentioned for how many sweet 16s they’ve been to. Maybe it was the Zags.

The Zags have also gotten the cherry picked 1 or 2 seed and still have cut down the nets!

1 Like

One thing that happened this year is that there are several teams with older players. That experience and savvy made some “mid-major” teams tough.

2 Likes

I count 16 Sweet Sixteens. There were 3 in the 40s and one in the 50s. I don’t know if they called it the Sweet Sixteen, because I believe there were only 32 teams who made the Tourney.

Edit: Never mind, there were only 16 teams in the tourney in the 1940s. Your 13 is correct. If we were Bama though, we could claim those additional 3 times - We were among the 16 teams in the tourney.

1 Like

I counted 16 at first too but when i started clicking the 40s links it showed an 8 team tourney.

The NCAA tournament in 1941 and 1945 was eight teams. So by making the tournament we were Elite Eight. And of course in 1944 we withdrew from the NCAAT because of the car accident; Utah took our place and won the whole thing.

Utah was available because they were eliminated early in the NIT. Hard to believe, but in the early years the NIT was the more prestigious tournament and teams would sometimes turn down the NCAA to play in the NIT. In 1950 City College of New York played in – and won – both tournaments. Among their NIT wins was a blowout over Kentucky, which was notable because Adolph Rupp had said he would never coach a team with black or Jewish players, and CCNY had both. So they took it out on Rupp on the floor. Anyway, the NCAA field was still 8 teams in 1950. They went to 16 teams the next year, it was 25 teams for a while, went to 32 teams in 1975 when they added at-large bids, and finally got to 64 in 1985 and the First Four began in 2001.

Anyway, since there was no Sweet Sixteen in 1941 or 1945, our SS teams were 1958, 1978, 1979, 1981, 1983, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2021 and 2022. By my count, that’s 13.

Covid and the transfer portal are going to change the landscape of college basketball. I don’t think we have seen the full extent yet.

If you cant get a team full of 5 stars, get a team full of seniors and grad transfers. It’s how the mid-majors worked for years, except their seniors weren’t as talented. There is a lot of talent moving around the portal.

Yes, and we have the best coach to turn this new era into a Razorback perennial top ten team. Coach Muss is a master at weaving the moving pieces into a great product in a repeatable manner-pure genius.

2 Likes

I knew you’d come with some info! I had heard that NIT was more prestigious back then. When did the shift happen?

Glad they did. I’m not a fan of cancel culture but in this day and age, one might think the naming on the arena might come up.

1 Like