Hogs now #1 in baseball RPI

Still somewhat early to look at this, but moved past Villanova into the top spot today.

I track RPI every day. I kind of find it fascinating to see how different matchups affect different teams.

Even though it lost, UALR’s RPI jumped 14 spots yesterday by playing Arkansas on the road.

We’ll see if they take another 14-place jump today.

I hate to admit my igorance, but what does RPI stand for?

Rating Percentage Index. NCAA developed it in 1981 to help rank teams for selection to the basketball tournament. They don’t use it for that any more (replaced by NET, NCAA Evaluation Tool) but it’s still used for baseball and softball.

Basically it’s a strength of schedule measure. With some tweaks for home and road games and things like that, it’s 25% your team’s record, 50% your opponents’ record in games other than against you, and 25% THEIR opponents’ records.

Thanks. I did Google it and am not sure it is very accurate, but sounds like a basic rating system.

If I remember the tweaks, road wins and home losses are worth 1.4, home wins and road losses are 0.6, and neutral site games are 1.0. At least that’s what it was for basketball. Guessing there are similar tweaks for baseball.

So applying it to the basketball record, Hogs were 16-1 at home (so 9.6-1.4), 5-4 on the road (7.0-2.4) and 4-2 on neutral floors (4-2). So the RPI weighted won-loss record was 20.6-5.8. Then similar things are done for the opponents and the opponents’ opponents.

I think the numbers are 1.3 for a road win and home loss, and 0.7 for home wins and road losses in baseball. Neutral-site games are 1.0, but those numbers can get manipulated a little. For instance, Arkansas’ games in North Little Rock are technically neutral-site games, but that is a home game in almost every way.

1 Like

Yep, but since we only play once a year there, they count it as neutral. That changed a few years ago, I think. At one time the NLR games were counted as home games for RPI purposes.

The crowd in NLR certainly makes it a home game for us, but to the extent being used to a certain ball field gives an advantage, we don’t get that from playing there. I tend to think an empty home park would not be a great advantage for the home team unless the team is put together to take advantage of a park’s peculiarities. (Say, more left-handed batters for a short RF fence, or something like that.)

Certainly not as much of an advantage in baseball as in basketball (non-pandemic years) which is why the home-road tweak is less pronounced, I would think.

The park is just part of the advantage for home team. Batting last is an incredible advantage in baseball.

It’s the part of the game that is often overlooked in discussing advantages.

2 Likes

Yes it is

Yes, because if you take the lead after the 8th inning, the bad guys can’t come back. Game over, good guys win (er, home team wins).

One advantage of batting last is knowing what you have to do when the other team is out of scoring options. If you’re tied or trailing at all while batting in T9, you’ve got to get as many runs as possible. Might be able to play small ball & do all you can for 1 run in pitching duel or if you know you’ve got a can’t miss closer, but if you’re tied or trailing by a couple of runs going into B9, you do all you can to get the 1 run in the tie situation. If down by a couple, you’ve got to get baserunners & try for a long ball of some sort.

Batting last just gives you a lot more information from which to work to get the win or at least the tie.

That’s why you seldom see the sac bunt in top of 9th when visitor is down one run.

1 Like

Batting last and not getting to is one of my favorite things😍

2 Likes