Hog great Glen Ray Hines passes at 75

We continue to lose the heroes of my youth.

Condolences to his family.

https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/razorbac … sses-away/

Gosh hate to hear that.
We are slowly losing the great ones from a great era.

RIP Mr Hines

I remember him being much bigger than most in his day, I think he weighed 240. Sure hate to hear he is gone.

One of the all time great Razorbacks. Sad news.

Great is the right word.

Prayers for the Hines family. He was a great Razorback.

He was a great guy from a great family. I prepared his first tax return from his rookie year with the Oilers.

So much greatness and Hog history being lost… RIP GRH.

I think he played the longest in the AFL/NFL of the greats from the 64 team. He played 66-73. Jim Lindsey played 66-72.

Got a few nice emails from Glen Ray when he liked a story. Always kind comments.

One of the things I remember hearing about as a young boy was basketball games in Barnhill during lunch hour. It was mainly the coaches but they would let Glen Ray play. My dad would comment on his athletic ability telling me those stories. I don’t recall seeing those games. But my dad told me about them as we watched him play on TV with the Oilers.

Jerry Welch reminded me that Glen Ray played in those hoops games with the coaches at lunch.

Agreeing with so many others

Losing your Childhood hero’s is tough

Gosh they understood they represented more than themselves - sadly that seems lost or maybe it’s just not reported much anymore

Sad he is goin but greatful for the great memories

Clay, that was a really nice article on Glen Ray Hines. What a talented bunch of players we had in those days who were great people, also.

I was a freshman in the fall of 1966 and had a sociology class with him. The class may have been in the Spring semester, no matter. He was a huge guy. He could barely fit into his desk. He was a flat belly with thighs that looked like tree trunks. When I hear that old song sung by Jimmy Dean about “Big John”, I think of him…“he was 6 foot 6 and weighed 245…big John”.

He was a lean guy, no fat, just a huge dude. I can’t imagine trying to take on a blocker like Glen Ray Hines when he was running downfield. Head for cover…is the phrase that comes to mind.

I got a few nice notes from him. Very kind emails. Not sure if I ever met him. Clearly, he knew my father and mentioned him in notes.

Not that it matters, but it must have been in the spring. By that fall, GRH was playing for the Oilers.

How many years did Lance Alworth play in the AFL/NFL?

Lance played from 1962 to 1972.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ … woLa00.htm