Highly talented kids on the sideline!

I’m really trying to grasp the concept of how is the o-line in the shape it is when he is suppose to be known for RB and OL. We have all these highly touted lineman that are on campus and none of them are playing such as zach rogers, merrick and others. Also we go out and get one of the biggest receivers in the country and he is on the sideline not even dressed out. You have Hammonds on the side line and he sits majority of the game, is this a question of kids not following all his rules or poor talent evaluation?? Bottom line is play your play makers and put your talent in the right spot to succeed !

I assume you are referring to Brandon Martin as the receiver. He was hurt.

LOL
I’m sure the coaches never thought to play the best players.

Good advice
:mrgreen:

[quote=“JJhog18”]
I’m really trying to grasp the concept of how is the o-line in the shape it is when he is suppose to be known for RB and OL. We have all these highly touted lineman that are on campus and none of them are playing such as zach rogers, merrick and others. Also we go out and get one of the biggest receivers in the country and he is on the sideline not even dressed out. You have Hammonds on the side line and he sits majority of the game, is this a question of kids not following all his rules or poor talent evaluation?? Bottom line is play your play makers and put your talent in the right spot to succeed !
[/quote]This is a major part of the “star gazer” philosophy that really grates at me.

Look - we ALL agree that Arkansas needs to (a) upgrade their overall talent level; and (b) when they get those 4 and 5 star talents (not necessarily those RATED 4 and 5 star), they must “coach them up” and get to the produce at that level on the field.

The thing is - and I’ve said this over and over and over - just because Rivals or Scout or ESPN or whoever lablels a young man a 4 or 5 star, that does NOT necessarily mean they really are. At a macro level - sure - the more 4 and 5 stars you recruit, the better chance you give yourself to truly have more of those levels of talent on your team than not. In general.

But at the individual player level, you CANNOT assume that just because a kid comes in with a 4 or 5 star from Scout, et all, that he is absolutely an ALL-SEC or All American talent. Recruiting just isn’t that exact a science. So, to wonder why (for example), a Merrick is not playing ahead of someone “less talented”, let’s just assume that the player on the field ahead of him is out-performing him. It isn’t rocket science to me. Now, that MAY be because the light hasn’t come on for Merick yet, or it may be because he was mis-evaluated (and if that’s the case, I’ll point out that it was by pretty much everyone) and the other player is just better. It happens all the time.

[quote=“WizardofhOgZ”]

BINGO

The star system of evaluating high school recruits is one of the worst things to ever happen in sports.

They aren’t breeds of cattle. They are people with different attitudes, different growth patterns, feelings, etc.

It amazes me that people still refer to the number of stars kids had 3 or 4 years after they get out of high school. What difference does it make?

Bahahahahaha!
Bama ONLY goes after 5*'s… You know why?..cause those are the BEST players… lackadaisical recruiting results in < sub par SEC teams!!!

That is not true at all. If you look at their roster they have 2 and 3 star players. But where they get the best is CB,LB and DL. That is the difference
They have good OL but most are not world beaters
Look at the NFL. They have a lot of players drafted but very few stay long or are starters.

[quote=“WizardofhOgZ”]

Well if that is the case, that means we are missing badly on all the guys and that’s another problem. We can’t afford to have guys like that on the bench and then forced to play walk ons instead of some of these highly recruited guys… I’m all for walk-ons getting there chance but if you have to start or play 3 walk-on players at a DivisionI school, something is serious wrong with the recruitment.

This staff doesn’t know a playmaker if they’ll come and slap them in the face. They won’t even give Hammonds a fair shot. He is under used big time. They refuse to get their speed guys the ball in space and just not creative offensively at all. They consistently move players on the OL. For crying out loud leave these kids alone. Brian Wallace played last year and did fine, now all of the sudden this year he doesn’t have a clue…Man, give me a break. Our coaches are clueless and thats the bottom line. I was rooting for Bielema, but his seat needs to start getting warm.

Hammonds is playing with a knee brace right now after sustaining an injury during camp for the second straight season. He got one week of practice before the opener. I would guess that he’ll be out there more regularly soon.

What I don’t understand is that BB and DE seemed surprised/shocked that Hayden only got 2 carries. How many times have we heard “we need to get _____ more touches…”. Well who determines that? I mean are they not in tune during the game?

TJ is working his way back into being 100 percent healthy and getting use to the brace.

The two weeks between TCU and Texas A&M should really help him in that regard.

Plenty to criticize staff about, but Hammonds’ use to this point is not one of them in my opinion.

[quote=“gonavy”]

What I don’t understand is that BB and DE seemed surprised/shocked that Hayden only got 2 carries. How many times have we heard “we need to get _____ more touches…”. Well who determines that? I mean are they not in tune during the game?
[/quote]I believe the intent is honesltly to get both TJ and Hayden more touches; but, there is a pattern to how this usually works.

We start a drive with either Whaley or D Williams, then - after a couple of first downs (4-5 plays), the other two (TJ and Hayden) start getting sprinkled in.

Our problem Saturday was that we had very few sustained drives - so we never got to the part of the regular rotation where Hayden and/or TJ got involved. It was one of those things that you kept thinking would get ironed out - but never did; and then, the game is over.

Position coaches play a role in the rotation.

Wizard, great post. I have said the exact same thing many, many times.

I found this comment in another article “Jalen Merrick, Deion Malone, Brian Wallace, Jake Heinrich and Zach Rogers have not clicked as well as their star rankings would suggest. It doesn’t mean any of them are bad players. What it means is they’re not as good as advertised.” Hope these OL players make it sometime or we wasted a lot of scholarships.

Could it be that BB is just not a good game day coach, who cannot make needed adjustments or personnel changes during the game, maybe he should be in the press box.

He’s definitely not a good game day coach. His criticism of how he does on gameday goes back to Wisconsin.