High School Malzahn

Playing on Thursday again. His Space U boys pulling away from Temple of Doom. If this this Thursday night thing continues, they might have to start calling him Junior High.

1 Like

Good to hear from you Coach Nutt.

2 Likes

I am still not a big fan of the hurry-up, dink & dunk, rpo, offense that Malzahn pioneered way back when at Shiloh and Springdale, but the fact that many facets of it are used now by almost every college and some pro teams means it must work. So, I was wrong to think it was just a high school gimmicky offense and not like it. I was not wrong thinking he was not the coach for Arkansas then or now but he is the one still coaching at the D-1 level with millions in his bank account, not me. So, a small tip of the cap to him.

1 Like

I think Reggie Herring is the one who started the High School thing. I don’t think Houston did much to discourage it though.

1 Like

Yeah, he’s kind of like the guy who got in on the ground level of a successful multi level marketing company. That Offense is everywhere these days in some form or another. The days of a huddle and a QB under center seem almost as archaic as the straight T formation.

Perhaps “sophomoric” would be more apropos.

I really miss the diversity of offense the college game used to have…still a better watch than the NFL imo.

1 Like

High School football is just about all spread Offenses too. No huddle. Shotgun snaps. At least in my part of the world.

Many on 68 team called Harold Horton by the nickname High School Harold. The point is that if you go from high school to college they going to call you that.

1 Like

Yes, but apparently Gus was offended by it (as if coaches have never been razzed by other coaches).

He or his worshippers went to Wally Hall about it, and it became a major issue.

As I’ve said before, Gus and his worshippers were some of the worse things that has ever happened to Razorback Football.

1 Like

And many (if not most) would say -ally was the worst thing to happen to Arkansas sports writing.

4 Likes

I was in the central part of the state last week and picked up the morning buzz with baz and wally. I was pleasantly surprised that most of what came out of wally’s mouth I agreed with. I guess when he has time to sit and think and write is when all the stupid stuff comes out.

1 Like

Gus was successful at the high school level mainly because he always had more talent then his opponents. We know how private schools can recruit. Then they instituted school choice and the good athletes were changing schools to go play for the hot program. School choice is not supposed to be about athletics but we all know better. He wasn’t so great at Arkansas where he did not have more talent than everyone. Then he goes to Auburn and wins with Superman Cam Newton. He goes to Arkansas Sate when they were loaded, promises to stay for the long term which turned out to be one year. He had talent there. Back to Auburn as head coach. Like other coaches, when he has talent he can win. But I would not say he is someone who can win big and sustain it. What I have noticed is that several of the coaches from his coaching tree are having trouble scoring in the red zone. If you will notice as well, there yards per pass is very low. They depend on yards after the catch and defenses have pretty much adjusted to his offensive philosophy and unless he has a lot more talent especially at quarterback it just doesn’t work well anymore. He has pretty much been the luckiest high school coach ever money wise. My dream would be to have a job where I could get paid millions of dollars to leave.

1 Like

Not a Gus fan - mostly because of his lack of sportsmanship when he was a HS coach. Didn’t like all the drama when he came to UA and everyone had a part in that but the kids suffered the most.

With all that said, they rolled over a pretty good defensive Temple team this week.

You make some good points, but you left out his first job. What he did at Hughes High School was truly remarkable. There was no recruiting going on there. At least not against other schools. He made a difference in the lives on some young folks who did not have a lot of advantages in life. If I was Gus I would be as proud of that as anything else I had ever done. And I would wear the High School moniker with pride.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.