Hey Matt? Which streaming options let you record SEC Network?

According to this article <LINK_TEXT text=“https://www.tomsguide.com/us/youtube-tv … 24578.html”>https://www.tomsguide.com/us/youtube-tv-vs-cable-tv-replacements,news-24578.html</LINK_TEXT> it looks like YoutubeTV will DVR ESPN & SEC Network but SlingTV won’t. Is that true?

You seem to be knowledgeable on this cord cutting business, so I am hoping you can help me understand it.

I was leaning towards YoutubeTV, now available in Little Rock, but they don’t offer HGTV and my wife would go nuts if she lost that. You got any advice on that? AT&T Fiber is now being installed in my neighborhood so I am seriously looking at the 1,000 Mbps download speed with unlimited data for $80. I know that will put me close to Comcast pricing when I add YoutubeTV or Sling, but there is no contract and I can dump it whenever I want. I am sick of this lowball pricing that shoots sky high after the first year with the cable and satellite folks.

We have Hulu with live TV and can record all of the networks that it offers. The internal DVR allows you to keep up to 12 1/2 hours of recorded shows.

There are about 60 channels on our package, which costs $39.99 per month. It includes all of the relevant sports channels (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SEC Network, FS1, FS2, CBS Sports Network and the local FSN), and also has HGTV. Our DVR is full of Fixer Upper episodes.

I haven’t tested the YouTube streaming service, but Hulu has easily been my favorite of the ones I have used. Buffering is minimal with our internet speed. The only drawback - and you’ll find this with all of the streaming services - is that there is about a 60- to 90-second lag. In other words, don’t look at social media during a live broadcast.

Sling was the pioneer of this industry but it has fallen behind, in my opinion, because of its lack of DVR and less than ideal interface.

The only “downside” of HULU is there is no ESPN3 to stream when it is the only option for the Hogs some times…mostly baseball. I have an Amazon Prime account as well as HULU and it does carry espn3.

Do you have more than one TV? If so, how is that handled when you want to watch sports and the wife wants to watch Joanna Gaines on HGTV at the same time? In LR, only two of the local channels are available on Hulu. If you have two TV’s, do you have two “over the air” antennas?

When was the last time you tried to login to ESPN3 with Hulu? I’m logged in now with my account.

We have three TVs in our house, but really only use two of them - the one in the living room and on occasion one in our bedroom. There have been times where we have watched both simultaneously while streaming Hulu. We only have an OTA antenna for the living room. You’ll need one for each TV you want to pick up an OTA signal.

We can access CBS and Fox through Hulu. I’m sure NBC and ABC will come around to that way of thinking at some point. Not so sure about PBS.

When I log in or do a search ESPN3 does not come up in HULU for me. Maybe my package? haven’t worried about it since I have Amazon Prime and it is included there… I will do another extensive look in HULU though…

There are a number of prominent providers that appear when you try to login to ESPN3. If you scroll down you’ll see hundreds of more accepted providers. Hulu is one of those.

How do you handle DVR for the local channels over the antenna? HULU offers a DVR but I assume it won’t record local channels coming in over the antenna. Is there any way to sync a free standing DVR to any of the streaming suppliers?

TiVo has OTA option with streaming apps integrated. I’m not sure if you can record live streaming but you can set up one passes that will show streaming or live options

https://explore.tivo.com/antenna

Honestly, I don’t DVR much. In our market, CBS and FOX are available via Hulu, so there is an option to DVR those networks through the Hulu app. I’ve heard there are devices that will allow you to DVR your antenna, but I have not tested any of those.