Here's a view...

I have not seen discussed yet.

Right now you have two crowds in the fan base, fire Bret, and save Bret. That’s fine, we all want the program to succeed, just different ways.

So here’s my main point.
Jeff Long is a good AD, some may not think so, but he is. Bret was a great hire, may not be a great coach, but he was a great hire. After 5 years, there has been little success, and some glaring problems.

Many want a 6th year. I can see that side, but my question is, is Jeff Long willing to put his job on the line for a 6th season? While he does very well in most areas of the athletic department, the football program hasn’t done so well. There’s a lot of fan disappointment, and vitriol. An AD, even a good one, is not immune to being fired by any means. A 6th season would likely be a gamble, big enough, that it could potentially hurt JL. You know the attacks will come, and like never before. Many thought Bret should’ve been fired after last years debacle, now you have this season, and old players dishing out criticism like crazy.
I personally question if he’s willing to put his job on the line for Bret.

All of this is assuming we do not go 6-6.

Thoughts?

I do not think it is so cut and dry that fans are in two camps. I think there are a lot of folks who would like to see how the season plays out before they make up their mind about whether they would like to see a coaching change. This is a group of reasonable thinkers who are not heard on message boards or talk radio because they do not yell the loudest.

I think Jeff probably fits into that group, too. He will know what he needs to do when the season ends. I do not think he has shown any tendency to hang onto a coach too long, in any sport.

I completely agree, but this was intended to be from an end of the season point of view, not a now point of view.

That way majority of fans will have decided in their opinions.

May not have made that part very clear.

Matt:

Given CBB’s performance both this season and during his tenure at Arkansas are you suggesting it’s unreasonable to have already concluded a coaching change is in order? Am I unreasonable for wanting a change given the results to date? 11-26 SEC record, 8-20 vs. western division opponents, more 30 + point losses than any other Hog coach, etc?

I did not suggest anyone is unreasonable.

Just my opinion, I don’t think your opinion is unreasonable, but I also don’t think those who disagree with you are unreasonable either. I guess that is the thing about message boards that drives me nuts the most, it isn’t that people have strong opinions, it is the concept (that can occur else where, but seems more on message boards) that if you don’t agree with me your are (1) stupid (2) not a true fan (3) unreasonable (4) all of the above.

As the OP stated, everyone in any of the camps (be it 2 camps, 3 camps, or whatever) all want the Hogs to win. Very few people, if any, are willing to pay to come to a web site dedicated to a team who don’t really, really, really want that team to win.

I have strong opinions at times. Of course I think I am right, duh. I have been guilty of getting into with another fan on here (not a day I am proud of) but I try try try to remember that we all want the same thing. We just disagree at times on the best way to get there.

I agree 99% on here want the Hogs to be successful and are obviously passionate about it.

I think there is always a silent majority and a vocal minority on any sports subject.

Lots of people read, not many post.

Lots of people listen to radio shows, not many actually call.

It’s just the way things are.

So I never get too overboard on opinions on when they are positive or when they are negative.

I’ve always thought it was best to wait until the season’s end to make a decision. Athletic directors often say that to the infuriation of fans, but they know that a knee-jerk reaction to losses are often unfair to the coaches, their families, the players and even the fans. That doesn’t mean in-season firings are wrong; it all depends upon the circumstances. Usually, how the season plays out will make the decision–whatever it is–easier to make.

The fire-CBB crowd will find their voice will be even stronger if the season ends 3-9, 4-8 or, perhaps, even 5-7. That same voice may not be as strong at 6-6 and certainly not at the unlikely 7-5 mark. Time, as it should, will tell.

I’ve always thought it was best to wait until the season’s end to make a decision. Athletic directors often say that to the infuriation of fans, but they know that a knee-jerk reaction to losses are often unfair to the coaches, their families, the players and even the fans. That doesn’t mean in-season firings are wrong; it all depends upon the circumstances. Usually, how the season plays out will make the decision–whatever it is–easier to make.

The fire-CBB crowd will find their voice will be even stronger if the season ends 3-9, 4-8 or, perhaps, even 5-7. That same voice may not be as strong at 6-6 and certainly not at the unlikely 7-5 mark. Time, as it should, will tell.

There is a subgroup of our fans that not only want to throw out the bathwater, they want to throw out the baby, then the bathtub, and burn down the house too. And they don’t necessarily want to wait for the baby to finish his bath before doing all this. (I refer to firing BB and/or the staff, firing JL, permanently benching AA and a few other players, etc., etc.) They’re frustrated, I get that, but there is definitely such a thing as an overreaction. And you sure hear a lot of them calling Bo and posting on the Lounge. Not so much on this side, but the sentiment is still here.

It’s the first week of November. Still a third of the season to go. Frank Broyles said people remember what happens in November for a reason. We could still finish 7-5, same as last year. Improbable, but not impossible, and the taste in our mouths would be a lot better with five straight wins than with blowing a 17-point lead at Misery to get to 7-5 a year ago. Or we could finish 3-9. Also improbable. Or anywhere in between. Obviously, the impetus for change, in whatever form, will be greater as the number on the left side of that hyphen gets smaller. But we don’t have any idea what that final number will be. Let’s see what that number is before defenestrating bathwater, babies, etc.

does JL put his job on the line to give coach year 6

?

( assuming we dont win out)

it is an interesting question and i believe the point of the OP

i dont know. i really dont.
make no mistake… it is a risk.
probably ( for him) a bigger risk than finding a new coach

That’s what I’m thinking.

I think you might’ve been the only one to read the post how I meant it.
Still some good insights though.

That’s what I’m thinking.

I think you might’ve been the only one to read the post how I meant it.
Still some good insights though.

“The situation is fluid.”

Could add the view AFTER the season to many changes coming as in FB head coaches.

Might sound crazy BUT I think we would be wrong to get in a bidding war, just to drive up the cost of a new head coach.

I like the Iowa State coach. Now if we try that move it’s a safe bet a few of the SEC West schools or wherever could outbid up.

Anybody ever think of the MILLIONS this is going to cost?

OPM means it doesn’t matter. The siren call
of the millennial generation.

I hope like crazy the Hogs win out and we are 7-5, but that would not change my mind at all about whether Bielema should be retained. He has been here 5 years and has yet to win more than 7 regular season wins. He is what his record is at this point.

I understand we have recruiting limitations because of our small in state talent base. I get that we are going to have some 6 or 7 win seasons. We are going to have a losing season from time to time, but I don’t think it is unreasonable to expect a coach to be able to have at least one 9 or 10 win regular season every 4 or 5 years. Bielema hasn’t even had an 8 win regular season.

For the last several years, I have heard a lot of fans say wait until next year and we should have a big year. Then the next year comes and Bielema shows once again that he can’t get off to a good start and we play a bend but don’t break defense that gives up a ton of yards and points.