Helmets

Watching Gators tonite. Notice that players wear different helmets. Some high tech and some old school. Who makes decision what helmets they wear. Player reference or executive decision?

Players pick. They all feel a little different.

But, I wouldn’t call any of these old school, they are all pretty new, the Speeds are the oldest ones that I’ve seen on the field, but they are just really solid helmets. Came out when I was in highschool.

I’ve been wondering if any of the Hogs are using the new Vicis helmets, which got 5 stars in Virginia Tech’s helmet testing and was the top-rated model in the NFL-NFLPA helmet testing.

The NFL list had the Schutt F7 LTD as the #2 model and the Riddell Precision models at #3 and #4. I don’t know if we use the Schutt either. Virginia Tech gave the Schutt its top rating and several other models also got 5 stars.

Another new helmet brand is Xenith and a couple of their models also got 5 stars at VT.

Vicis helmets are $950 each. The Schutt F7 is $975 and the Riddell Precision is a whopping $1,700. Riddell uses scans of the player’s head to completely custom fit each Precision helmet to the player, but it was only #5 on the Virginia Tech list. Xenith is only $289. You talk about a couple hundred helmets at $900+ a pop, you’re getting into real money even for an SEC program.

This may explain why we are not using the Xenith helmets.

https://thomasjhenrylaw.com/blog/produc … l-helmets/

Looks like these were kids models, not the high end ones a college program would buy, but yeah that’s not a good sign.