Hawgball

That run that Gafford, Bailey, Hall, Jones, and Macon put on in the first half was an old-timey, 40-minutes-of-heck defensive run. I don’t recall having the four athletic, young guys on the court at the same time this season very often. That lineup was golden tonight.

Interesting developments:

1. 7 assists by Macon to 1 TO. Great floor game tonight. He spread the wealth. He left some treys in the bank for the Golfers. We’ll need him to do his thing to beat Minnesota.

2. Hall looked comfortable shooting from deep. As outstanding as he is on D, that’s a huge plus if he provides a few jumpers and drives.

3. Barford was Barford.

4. Gafford played great defense with only 2 PFs. He did a nice job of sealing the defense that was cheating to the perimeter to get easy buckets. Trey got one of those, too. Should help spacing.

5. C.J. may be the best scorer coming off the bench in the SEC. Instant O and was part of a great defensive lineup tonight.

6. Cook did a lot of nice dirty work in first game back. His return makes foul trouble for Gafford and Thompson less scary.

7. Gabe continues to impress with variety when he gets minutes.

My buddy and I watching the game called it “the spider men” lineup. All those five have long arms that stretch below the knee (seems like it anyway) and seem to swallow the ball handlers. And four of them are long in height as well, quick on their feet and jump like a pro stick. Not sure if even Nolan had such a lineup on the court.

Gafford = Freak. Runs like a deer.
Hall = Freak. Longest arms I’ve ever seen. Patrick Ewingesque.
Bailey = Freak. Quick/high leaper. Still a ways to go in his development.
Jones = Pogo stick hops, textbook jumper.

Hall is ahead of the trajectory of Qualls at a similar time. Those 3’s he hit were legit and looked natural. Once he “figures” it out he is going to be a monster. Just look at the improvement that CJ Jones made from year 1 to 2.

As good as Hall is and will be, Javon Franklin was the better player when they played each other last year in the HS Championships. Can’t wait for him to get out of JC and come to the Hill.

When Hall gets down in defensive position with those arms spread, he’s very difficult to dribble around. He also seems to take pride in being a dedicated defender, which is refreshing. On O he sometimes makes frosh decisions as far as picking his spots on drives. He’s so good on D that CMA will probably give him allowances, and he’s had some impressive drives when he has an open path to the basket. His shot looks solid.

I agree that he is ahead of Qualls. Qualls was never this good on the defensive end period. His shot needs less work than Qualls did as a frosh. If he improves at the rate that Qualls did, he’s got next level potential.

“As good as Hall is and will be, Javon Franklin was the better player when they played each other last year in the HS Championships. Can’t wait for him to get out of JC and come to the Hill.”

I agree with this. Franklin was the best player on the floor and if he can make it to the UA will be a good one. I believe Hall was/is ahead of Javon as a perimeter player though. Javon was so athletic in the paint, he didn’t need to be a perimeter player. I suspect he’ll have to transition to a 3/4 player at the D1 level though.

Regarding Franklin, it is a matter of whether we have a schollie for him. If Mike calls him with an offer, he will commit before Mike hangs up. He desperately wants to be a Hog. I hope his dreams are fulfilled.