Great article

I am posting a link to an article in SEC Country. I agree with every word of this article. I am sure that will get me roasted on this board. So be it. I think it deserves to be posted and read. I didn’t write the article. But I do agree. And so do many of my friends.

<LINK_TEXT text=“https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/ark … other-year”>https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-and-jeff-long-may-keep-bret-bielema-on-as-coach-another-year</LINK_TEXT>

Further proof that regardless of the issue, Bolin is going to be a contrarian. And, that’s fine. He is what he is.

Well, if he stays he is gonna have to make changes to his offense. The offense is too predictable and I believe that is another reason why they have been struggling. Nick Saban realized that he had to change his offensive philosophy and Bielema needs to realize this too. I don’t know if JL can ignore that abysmal 10 - 26 conference record, but if so Bielema better open up that offense because he will most definitely be on a red hot seat next year.

I agree that he had been stubborn this year. The few times they had it going or got big stops or turnovers, he went conservative and missed opportunities. The TAMU game was the glaring example.

But, I disagree that he needs to change his philosophy. In 2015, the offense was very creative and multiple.

The difference is that they can’t run block or pass block this year. That makes them looks more predictable. What’s predictable is that they are inept because they aren’t blocking anyone and are committing lots of penalties.

Matter of opinion as to whether or not it’s a great article. It is a rational and sensible defense of the Bielema regime. That is why for the most part it will fall on deaf ears. Many casual non-ticket purchasing fans, season ticket holders, and donors of various levels feel like they aren’t getting the most value for their investment, be it monetary or simply emotional. All they know about the Bielema regime is that after 5 years, the product on the field does not appear to be much different than the product on the field in year 1. They don’t want to hear any type of rational defense at this point, they simply want change.

College coaches at the highest level for the past several years have become nothing more than enormously paid mercenaries who are brought into programs to attempt to provide satisfactory levels of entertainment, (winning), for the customers, (fans). If the coaches can sustain the desired level of entertainment, they get to stay and earn more money, which in turn brings more money into the program. They are only loyal to the school which they are presently employed at because it provides them with the opportunity to earn a very nice living while attempting to further their career success. Sounds like most employee/business settings, right? The key difference is that it is the entertainment business.

We as Razorback fans want to think that our coaches are “one of us”. We want to identify with them personally, and we want them to reciprocate. But unless their last name is Broyles, Hatfield, or Nutt, that simply is not the case. Frank Broyles became endeared to this state because he grew to know this state and it’s people. He knew what the fans wanted and needed, and for the most part he did an excellent job of providing it either through coaching or administrating. Ken Hatfield was emotionally invested in this state, and that fueled his desire to succeed for not only himself, but the fans as well. Houston Nutt came with similar characteristics. We enjoyed various levels of success under both. However in the end, we “ate our own” in both cases. Houston did more to separate himself from the fans than Ken did. Lou Holtz and Bobby Petrino provided much success as well, however they both fall into the mercenary category.

It should also be mentioned that coaches are teachers that have an opportunity to have a very positive influence on their athletes that will last a lifetime. But even the poorest X’s and O’s coaches can still be decent people with the ability to influence. However if they don’t win, then they lose that opportunity.

By all accounts, Bielema has done a lot of things right in the “off the field” categories with respect to the players. That alone seems to be a rare commodity these days. However, for various reasons, in year 5 he has not seemed to instill the confidence that he can produce the necessary wins in this conference to satisfy the levels of success desired by a large number of fans.

We don’t really know how the rest of the season will play out, and ultimately what will happen with Bielema after it’s over. Coaches are fully aware of the arena in which they operate, as are Athletic Directors.

In the event that we have an opening following the season, will we go the mercenary route, or will we look to someone that is emotionally invested in becoming the Head Coach of the Arkansas Razorbacks?

Everyone is entitled to your own opinion.

The man has had 5 years… He inherited a team that was not void of talent. He recruited a pretty good class, right off the bat… Alex Collins and Denver /Dan , AJ and the stud JUCO LBer… But it’s the misses in recruiting, based on his Ast Coaching hires that have caused all this.

We should not still be trotting out on the Field #28… That is it in a nutshell , he can not fix a glaring issue…

He hired Anderson, and Rory… And the results of the effort from both will cost him his job.

We could bring him back for two more years, and it would not matter. That’s right, you could give him two more recruiting classes, two more off season conditioning sessions and allow him to make changes to the staff, yet again and it would not matter.

I remember seeing Rory sitting with the staff last signing day… And I thought why? He is clearly gone, but are head coach would not fire him… That is not SEC! In the SEC they will drink your blood… Well we need to be more like “they”…

It does not matter to me if we make a change or not …I will still cheer for the Razorbacks… My opinion is that our current coach is not SEC… And no other SEC program would put up with the results we have… When Jack Crow makes a statement of “does Arkansas just want to be mediocre” and it has validity based on hard data… That’s a problem!

Gaux Hogs

The article has merit

There are some very good points in this article, but it totally ignores the severe cracks in the foundation of Bret Bielema’s system: “the weak last year and no better this year offensive line.” That is the foundation of Bret Bielema’s offensive system. If that line had improved, as everyone expected with the returnees, then this article would be solid. We have had devastating injuries, but, until Ragnow’s injury in the last game, none of them were excuses for the weak line play. No matter how Long or anyone else wants to spin it, this football program is not headed in the right direction. Winning 4 out of the next 5 might save CBB. Less than that, I don’t see him surviving. JMVVVVHO.

I think the article makes good points. As Hogmodo points out, however, is that the O-line has been bad for both last year & this one. That’s been one area that’s bothered me. On the other hand, Mike Irwin said something on TV a couple of days ago that brings me back to something I’ve said many times: the coaches have more info than we do. Apparently there have been a lot of small injuries that have afflicted various linemen throughout the year (more than usual) that have affected their practice time & playing ability. Seems to me that goes to depth. We’re not deep in the o-line.

The question we all want to know is whether CBB knows that & is the man to fix it or are we better off starting over. I know many on here (and many whose opinion I respect) think the answer is to start over. If JL decides that, I won’t quarrel with it. However, if he gives CBB one more year, I won’t quarrel with that, either. I, for one, don’t think a new coach will make immediate improvements. He might be better in the long run, but not soon. I think CBB is more likely to bring immediate improvement, but perhaps not as much in the long run. That’s one reason I’d be content with him getting another year. I suspect & have heard it said, he knows he hasn’t recruited enough o-linemen to get us the depth we need. If that is a problem & he recognizes it, I see no reason to believe he can’t learn from his mistake.

I don’t pretend to know as much of the technical & intricate parts of football as many on this board. I tend to look at the bottom line & decide how many factors affected it. Like Bolin, I don’t believe it’s fair to talk about CBB’s total W-L record here because I don’t hold him responsible at all for the first year. I do hold him responsible for the past 2-3 years, but even while doing so, I also know there are some things no coach can control.

This weeks game is probably do or die for CBB. If we lose, he’s probably done. If we win, the door is still open. Either way, I hope we win. Ole Miss, a team I loathe, is toast for a while anyway. I don’t want to see them lower our program to their level.

I doubt the article will change anybody’s minds. Those who want him fired will remain steadfast in that desire, and those who don’t will remain loyal to him. I’ll understand if JL cuts ties this year, but I’d like to see if he can fix the issues. Don’t know that he can and don’t believe he should be given more than one more year to do so. There’s much to fix in one year, so he might deem it smart to move on. I like CBB. He seems like a good man, but he’s a good man in a business that demands more W’s than L’s.

Why would you think posting the article would get you roasted?

Maybe because I posted it in another thread yesterday and they got upset?

That article had some truths and untruths in it. The North End Zone was going to be done no matter who the coach was. Coach Bielema had very little to do with that.

Coach Bielema has been here for 5 long years. As another poster said “3 mediocre years sandwiched between 2 horrible years” is not a reason to bring him back. Does anyone have confidence he can build the program to a level we fans will be proud of? He has had 5 years, and this is the worst team he has fielded, in terms of overall squad talent. An SEC record of 10-26. That is pathetic. He has been paid $20,000,000 with a $5,000,000-$10,000,000 buyout to be added to that number when he is fired or negotiates a buyout. Come on, people. He was well paid for a job he did not do particularly well. If he was president of a large publicly-traded company, the stockholders would demand he be replaced just like the fans are demanding it here and now.