Grant Morgan at Saturday's camp

I was standing near the vertical testing station. One of the other players would write down the jump and the reach of the kid and he would instantly let Grant take a look at the numbers and he would instantly come up with the vertical leap number.

Grant loves math. He was somewhat comical to see how fast he could do the math.

He plans to be orthopedic doctor.

He was one of the guys Morris would ask to say a few words to the campers. He talked up not putting limitations on yourself and also he talked highly of the family atmosphere at Arkansas.

Interesting. Forty years ago, I could do that kind of mental math. I did the stats when KATV did Hog hoops telecasts in the 78-82 era. Calculators existed then, but I found I could do shooting percentages in my head faster than with the calculator. I’d feed updates to the guy typing in the graphics (future War Memorial Stadium manager Jerry Cohen, actually) and Jerry would put 'em in and get them on the screen as we dropped back on D.

Could I do that now? Not a chance.

I’ve always had a facility for calculating in my head. My physics teacher dubbed me “radical Dave”, and it wasn’t because I was hanging out with the Weather Underground or Symbionese Liberation Party. When he was calculating equations on the chalk board, I’d do it in my head and provide the answer, often something like “4.3 radical 19” where “radical 19” is the square root of 19.

In those days, there was actually a UIL (University Interscholastic League) competition for doing computation in your head. They’d give a written test and you had to answer without doing any written work. I didn’t know anything about it until my junior year, and a couple of friends urged me to try it. Went in “cold” and finished second in our district.

I don’t know if they do that any more. In this day of the internet and apps I doubt anyone much does numbers in their heads in the younger bunch. Of course, we didn’t have those.

I was in a fast food eatery last week, made a $4.83 purchase and gave the 20 yr old something dude behind the counter a $5 bill. The idiot accidentally cleared the cash register that showed change due. Guess what, he could not make the change. I did this in my head and told him the 17 cent answer but he did not believe anyone could do that in their head. He called the mgr with her calculator to do the math. I had an advantage by hustling papers many yrs ago and you had better be able to make change in your head or you would go broke.

Lord help 'em if the power goes out.

That’s just the way this generation of kids are. My three all made straight A’s in high school and college taking calculus in both, but they need their phone to add up their score on a scorecard after 18 holes, lol.

Yeah, I use to be pretty quick in my teens and early 20’s. Not so now.

Some of my old Weingartens buddies were talking about this recently. We spent many hours in the checkstand in the 60’s and 70’s (pre scanners) at the times most of the canned goods were multiple priced. And not like 3/$1 which is easy. Figuring single prices came easy as well as figuring taxes in your head. Not to mention most transactions was cash and making change.

Things have changed. A lot.

Yeah, next time you pay cash for something that’s $5 and change, give them a $10 and a $1 and see how long it takes them to figure out you want a $5 back instead of four more singles. Even if they have the register. Another good one, I mostly work in the office reviewing drawings but occasionally have to go to a jobsite to look at something. Try to find anyone under 40 who can add and subtract fractions without a construction calculator.

I keep change on the console of my pickup truck. Lots of change. Lots of pennies. I’m always ready to get the bill to a round number to avoid taking in more pennies. Inevitably, the person at the window can’t figure it out when I hand them a dime and a couple of pennies to get it to quarters coming back. I make it game. Let them figure it. Then, after a minute of them staring at what’s in their hand, I’ll tell them: You owe me $1.50.

[quote=“ClayHenry”]

I keep change on the console of my pickup truck. Lots of change. Lots of pennies. I’m always ready to get the bill to a round number to avoid taking in more pennies. Inevitably, the person at the window can’t figure it out when I hand them a dime and a couple of pennies to get it to quarters coming back. I make it game. Let them figure it. Then, after a minute of them staring at what’s in their hand, I’ll tell them: You owe me $1.50.

[/quote]The sad part of this, is that too many people are content with not knowing what they don’t know, ie will not be motivated or challenged to correct this. I appreciate that these folks we are complaining about, are at least trying by having a job, but without better skills and the desire for better skills, their future may be pretty limited. Off my soap box, now!

After it taking 3 months to figure out how much we had to pay CBB to leave I can’t rag on a kid at a drive through fast food window who can’t make change. WPS