General Board question . . . avatar size

So, I haven’t used my longtime avatar since we moved to the new board. I had tried to upload it shortly after the move, but it was too big. Since I had not played around with reducing image resolution, I just delayed it “for another day”.

For whatever reason, that day arrived today when I decided to work on it over lunch. I tried my existing avatar again, and received the information I was looking for - the max size is 6 kb (I had forgotten what it was). So, I used a tool to reduce my avatar to just below that threshold. Problem is, now that I’ve uploaded it, you can’t really tell what it is (unless you remember it from before - then, it looks like a blurry version of that).

What’s the deal with the skimpy 6kb limit? I’ve checked around on some other boards (not just sports boards) and found it is not unusual to find limits of 25, 50 or 100 Kb. I have not found a single one (in, admittedly, limited searching) that has a limit under 15 kb. I will say that I have had no problem loading my standard avatar on the other boards I frequent.

I am aware of the issue; the larger the size, the more storage and longer to bring each page up. But size is all relative. 6kb sounds like a lot, but it’s actually a VERY small number when you’re talking about avatars.

How about a limit of 25kb?

Dave, I’m checking on this.

Wizard…what resizing tool are you using?

Never mind . . . was able to get help from someone else, and got a better resolution (using resizeimage.net). Looks OK now.

[quote=“WizardofhOgZ”]

Never mind . . . was able to get help from someone else, and got a better resolution (using resizeimage.net). Looks OK now.

[/quote]I usually just decrease the quality rather than the size of the image.

[quote=“BaumbasticHawg”]

What do you mean by decreasing quality?

[quote=“Rzbackangler”]

[quote=“BaumbasticHawg”]

What do you mean by decreasing quality?

[/quote]In Photoshop you can control the quality of the image. If I save an image as a .JPG, one of the last options is the quality of the image. By setting it very low, less storage is required.

[quote=“BaumbasticHawg”]

Got it…I was trying to do it on my IPad. Now, I’ll do on my PC where I have photoshop elements. Thanks