Game 3 Updates

Arkansas is down 3-0 after two innings in Sunday’s finale of the series with Rhode Island. Josh Alberius has given up some line shots, including a no-doubt home run by Justin Jewell. It was Jewell’s first hit of the season (in just 12 at bats). Arkansas has gone quietly in the first two innings against righthander Matt Murphy. Dominic Fletcher and Carson Shaddy both hit balls to near the warning track, but were just long outs.

The teams did not play Saturday because of weather. The tarp was on the last 48 hours and that was a good plan since Fayetteville got about two inches of snow. They got the field ready to play quickly today and I think the teams held batting practice in the indoor facility.

Through six, Rhode Island is still up 3-0. They have outhit the Hogs, 7-3. Kevin Kopps is pitching for the Hogs now, following starter Josh Alberius.

I don’t think Alberius will be the starter on Sunday in SEC games. That will be Dominic Taccolini. Taccolini started the midweek game on Tuesday and was solid. I don’t think they wanted to bring him back on four days rest. He’ll probably through a bit early in this week, but not a high number of pitches.

Arkansas had a mild threat in the eighth with a pair of one-out walks to Spanberger and Bonfield. But Koch and Fletcher both popped out to end the frame. It’s still 3-0 Rhode Island through eight.

Arkansas went 1-2-3 in the ninth as reliever Tyler Barss got the final five outs for the Rams. Rhode Island wins,3-0.