From the Auburn paper

Auburn definitely surprised me this year with how they played. I think Thompson does a good job with those guys. I Tim Hudson does a great job with their staff, I don’t think they’re going away anytime soon.

Anyone who listened to the podcast knows I thought highly of them early in the year. Whenever a team loses a lot of close games like Auburn did last year, it often wins those close games the next year if a lot of players return. Auburn was about 20 runs away from being a No. 1 or 2 seed last year, but lost a lot of one- and two-run games and missed the postseason. I thought Auburn gave Arkansas its toughest series of the year during the 2021 regular season. Those Game 2 and 3 victories were hard fought.

Butch Thompson is an underrated coach. I think he also an underrated pitching coach. Tim Hudson gets most of the credit for how well Auburn pitched this year, but Thompson is hands on with his pitchers.

It tells you a lot about the SEC West when Auburn is considered the fifth or sixth best program in the division.