From Dudley: Arkansas recruiting JC big man Cooper

Here you go:

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018 … pical-one/

We have the slots. Get him and Hog tie him! WPS!

Comments: Now this is a “What If” story line, if I ever seen one. Cooper playing along side of Gafford, and Henderson to boot, are you kidding me. Don’t forget Chaney and Gabe. Bailey will continue to develop his perimeter game and the rest of players are icing on the cake. Two quality bigs priceless…Scottie if you can pull this one off going up against the growing competition you have arrived, you clearly understand, and have mastered the recruiting game :smiley:

Comments: Now this is a “What If” story line, if I ever seen one. Cooper playing along side of Gafford, and Henderson to boot, are you kidding me. Don’t forget Chaney and Gabe. Bailey will continue to develop his perimeter game and the rest of players are icing on the cake. Two quality bigs priceless…Scottie if you can pull this one off going up against the growing competition you have arrived, you clearly understand, and have mastered the recruiting game :smiley:

Dunno if it will happen, but it’s certainly intriguing.

Would be perfect fit. Great trade off. Just what we need.

After looking at this guys film more i really see this guy another Arlando Cook who a was highly touted and had many offers but his skills didn’t translate well to the next level. To have a 7-5 wing span and to not really play above the rim is troubling to me I would rather offer Conner Vanover than this guy. Because Conner is a better shooter if youre looking at his shooting ability and Conner is just as athletic from what I’ve seen

Comments: I thought Mike offered him a scholarship earlier back during his recruiting period , and he selected Memphis and Tubby… you know these outside or inside influences get in these kid’s ears and poison them with all kind of negativism or fears. For instance Hunter was advised to transfer to Kansas, Self will make him NBA ready, I believe Hunter saw more minutes at Arkansas than Kansas, Hazen transfer after Hannah graduated, what’s that about, and what about Clark transfer to Buttler to be groomed to play point guard in the NBA, that hasn’t happened… I can’t see any coach not taking a serious look at a seven feet guy if it comes up, what he doesn’t want to play for Penny, or is it the other way around… Tubby has been offered a head coaching position at his old college he played for, so he’s back in collegians business

I see no similarity at all to Cook.

Cooper is nothing like Cook at all, either in size or skills. He also blocked 103 shots against JC teams, which shows he can do at least one thing pretty well on defense.

I watched Conner in the semi-final of the tournament last week, and he was a defensive liability unless someone tried to shoot close to where he was standing. You can’t play a man defense against a decent college team with him in the game, unless the guy he’s guarding stays in the low post area. He also struggled on close outs when his team was in a zone, guys were stepping right around him. He seems to be a nice young man who is very tall, has a nice shooting touch on threes, and gives effort. But he’s just not good enough to play for the Hogs right now, IMO.

What film did you see? And what competition, other D-1 talent, did you see him play against when you say it? What elite athleticism did you see him possess and on what play? Please do me a favor and identify those for me

Not quite sure what you are seeing out of Connor Vanover that has him as the better prospect or fit.

And this kid plays way above the rim.

I think you may need to look around for some more film or something.

I don’t know if Arkansas is going to offer him or if he will end up at Michigan or Cincy or some other place.

But I just call you eval into question if you think Connor is the better fit than the athletic kid with the 7-5 wing span that plays above the rim offensive and defensively and races down the court.

Connor Vanover 17 of 46 from 3 this year

Courtese Cooper 14 of 42

Cooper 55.8 FG overall
Vanover 59 on 2 pts

One would be a freshman, the other a sophomore that helps split up the scholarships.

You are already going to have 7 freshmen - including Garland - on the roster next year.

I like Cooper, I saw a highlight tape of him (it was HS), but the guy caught the ball on the perimeter, used his speed to get around the guy guarding him and went to the rim. I know it was against HS competition, but that’s interesting skill set for a big man. Looking at the guys we have coming in and who we are recruiting kind of excited me. Honestly, and I know some won’t like this, but if we could get Cooper and Noel, I’d like to see CMA try Syracuse’s zone at least once with the lineup of Phillips, Noel, Cooper, Henderson, and Gafford. Offensively, Phillips, Noel, and Cooper would have advantage because of their size, and Henderson can pull guys out of the lane leaving Gafford one on one in the paint. Defensively in a 2-3 zone, you’d have two quick 6’7 guards out front and a back line of 6’9, 6’10, and 6’11 that all can recover quickly and affect shots. I’m not saying play it all the time, but I’d like to see that lineup at least once, I think it’d be very interesting.

You are right about the Syracuse zone

I for one wouldn’t like that

Dudley the film I saw the guy was going up against some puppies and I watched help shoot with a poor form so I’m shocked to know he has a forty percent stroke but hey! Nonetheless I couldn’t find film of him playing above the rim nor against decent competition please share the link here

Wouldn’t or would?

I would not want Arkansas to try and play Syracuse’s defense.

Just because a dress looks pretty on one girl doesn’t mean it looks good on all of them.

Put his name in you tube, watch his HUDL, go look at his stuff from Triton College.

I just wouldn’t ever say a kid sucks off of one film.

Would lose all credibility.

That would be like Van Buren and a rainy field making me think Darren McFadden’s 62 yards rushing was the best he could do.

Got ya