Forty-nine plays

Aloha,

Time for some basketball education. Could the basketball junkies please breakdown how a team has 49 plays? Are their seven basic plays and each one has an option depending upon what the defense does? Or are there truly 49 plays, each one different than any other? Or does that include offense, defense, transition and situational? If UA is currently at 49, what is their total play count?

GHG!

I would guess plays are planned, but reactions are not.

Aloha,

I brought this up because UA has at least 49 plays. That is truly mind blowing for me. I had no idea. I am really interested to know more.

GHG!

I have no first hand knowledge, but I do know that most “plays” have several options depending on what the defense does. Is each one of those a play? I don’t know. There are probably several inbound “plays” so I can see how the number goes up pretty quickly, but still, when I heard him say “49” I sure did a double take. Perhaps that is a common number?

Break it down like this, and it does not seem quite so mind-blowing:

7 inbound plays under your own basket
7 sideline inbound plays on your own end
7 man-to-man motion plays
7 zone buster plays
7 zone press plays
7 2-man game plays (pick & roll, pick & pop, etc.)
7 triangle offense plays

I just made this up without knowing the actual playbook, but was just thinking about how breaking it down into categories helps ease some of the complication.

1 Like

I don’t know if fast breaks are considered plays - fast breaks on made/missed FT’s and made/missed shots from the floor. Especially the missed shots from FT line and floor as there are specific actions and positions taken on those to beat the defense down the floor when possible.

I think the way it’s broken down by ramblinrazorwreck in different situations explains it well, but there are some situational plays that he missed. I know there are about five plays off of free throw situations. I’m sure there are plays against fullcourt press and man-to-man press. Not hard to get to 49 in my opinion. You could have a large number off of pick-and-roll situations.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.