Formula for AR to Win

AR came out swinging against Rebels. I had detected that we were playing cautious, less confident, playing not to lose. Yesterday, AR played like the start of the season. They did not pass up any shots that were makeable. They shot 11 of 22 threes on rhythm, only one forced. Except for one lazy pass, the turnovers occurred in the flow of the game. OM played great defense, changed them often and pressed some. We handled it well. We went inside as often as we could, scored & drew fouls, that kept them unbalanced defensively and gave us open threes. Their defense could not focus on our primary three scorers, because of our bench coming alive. CJ knocked a few threes and a duce, made some contribution. I am most impressed with Hall. I watched his movements. He would go to the board after every shot. He had two offensive boards only one less than Gafford, made all his free throws and capped it with a three. He is not flashy, but make you a winner. For those who didn’t think AR played good defense, here are some things to consider. OM is an outstanding offensive team. Burnett is big and strong and can push and drive better than anyone I have seen recently (15 points). Davis, good size, quick as a cat and shoots lights out (30 points). Tyree, is fast, handles the ball well, drives and shoots as good as any guard (16 points). Stevens had 15 points, plus others. They play fast and furious and shoot the threes accurately with the blink of the eye. With this team, I don’t think we did badly. The only thing I can harp about, we gave them 12 offensive boards, I think 10 of them dropped in. We simply don’t block out people on our defensive board. On one of those drop in’s, I saw we had three defenders there, but they were pushed under the basket and blocked out; Burnett tapped it in. In conclusion, we played a winning game: We shot the rock when we had the shots, moved and attacked, went inside, made free throws, minimized giveaways, and got help from the bench. Now if we can go on the road and play fearlessly with confidence that we can win, we might turn this season around.

OM had 18 defensive rebounds and we had 21. OM had 12 offensive rebounds, we had 8. Rebounding was a wash. I think not being able to stop dribble penetration is getting our rebounders out of position, they are not even in position to block out. Then Gafford goes for the blocks rather than rebound. That contributes too. But overall, I still think rebounding was a wash.

And certainly Ole Miss did not block us out on eight rebounds. We have had big time problems in this area in other games, but not this one.

I agree we held our own on rebounding in this game. But overall we must defend and rebound our board better than we have so far. What is misleading is that offensive rebounds mean points, defensive rebounds may lead to points. We should do a better job at both ends.

There were a few live ball turnovers that were pointless. The late turnover by Macon where he threw a pass 3/4 court intended for Bardford was horrible we had the ball! The lead who cares about a fancy highlight play keep possession of the ball they would have fouled anyway!
The lazy pass that CJ made cross court for a layer to Ole Miss was just simply sloppy and he will learn from that one.
The rebounding will only get better when we have a longer team. It may have been a wash in that game but we have to start blocking out.

We don’t consistently block out and it is on the scouting report that we won’t per Miss State. Any good coach can use the rotations of our trapping defense against us, by swinging the ball around the perimeter so our back side defenders leave someone wide open in the corner or on the arc. OM had wide open 3’s all game and yes they made some with good defense in their face…but OM got some great looks because of our defense.

Every system has a weakness. Since we have a scrambling defense, it is not easy to get in a position to block out. And then our current inability to stop dribble penetration takes us out of position further.

Saying that we are not blocking out is right. And again I say that is because we are not in a position to block out. But to say that we don’t know how to block out or are taught not to block out is simply wrong.

Now there are certain players who do not do a good job even when they are in a position to block out. Trey Thompson is an example of that. His reaction to a shot going up is simply slow.

Having said that, our system wins a lot more than loses. So until it goes other way, I am sticking with it.

So far in SEC games, we have given up easy three’s and open lanes for lay-ups. We have seen no adjustments. What is the answer, I do not know. The defense has been AR’s issue that has put us in the situation we are.

[quote=“PJHawg”]

OM had 18 defensive rebounds and we had 21. OM had 12 offensive rebounds, we had 8. Rebounding was a wash. I think not being able to stop dribble penetration is getting our rebounders out of position, they are not even in position to block out. Then Gafford goes for the blocks rather than rebound. That contributes too. But overall, I still think rebounding was a wash.

And certainly Ole Miss did not block us out on eight rebounds. We have had big time problems in this area in other games, but not this one.

[/quote]Your comment about Gafford is an observation I share as well. While I don’t so much question a shot blocker like Gafford attempting to block shots, I do wonder why some who are less likely shot blockers giving up rebounding position by jumping themself out of decent rebounding position. I really believe a team who plays more conservatively, not trying to block every shot would come out ahead. Just like I think less switching and double teaming might reduce the effectiveness of three point shooting against us. I have no documented evidence, just perception, but it seems like a lot of players have their high point efforts against us and it sure seems like playing the Hogs can work wonders for scoring/shooting slumps ala Kevaughn Allen and the Davis kid from Ole Miss.