For those of you who were at the game

I’m curious what you saw leading up to and during the post-game scuffle.

Dang I love muss but sheesh I sure hope we don’t play SDSU again in March. The ol’ post game L sign to the opposing fans is something that usually gets players in big trouble. But here we got our head coach doing it, absolutely nothing to gain from that. Better hope we don’t see them again for a long time. But I do reckon there must be a lot more to this story and I hope some more first hand accounts come out today about what exactly went down for things to boil over this badly

1 Like

The L sign was in response to their fans saying F… You to our head coach. So maybe SDS should think twice about seeing us again in March.

2 Likes

I didn’t see it. Had to get out of there to airport. Home now or at least dia

Yeah, our locker room was on the opposite lend of the gym from the majority of Hog fans, when the players didn’t come back over to the fan section, we left. We knew from the breakfast meeting, that they were going to quickly head back to the hotel, shower, and get on their charter flight back to XNA. I will say that SDS fans hate Muss from his days at Nevada, and I guess, SDU.

2 Likes

I didn’t see anything especially chippy in overtime between the teams that would lead to this. If this was all provoked by muss responding to a belligerent fan (as the San Diego newspaper is reporting), does he not remember how pissed he was that a ref chose to engage with some belligerent hog fan the night before instead of just doing their job? Fans are gonna be fans. Yes you are held to a different standard of behavior when you are on the clock doing your job being paid millions to represent the university than if you’re a dude on vacation that just lost more money than you probably should have on the game at ceasers sports book after paying hundreds more dollars for a ticket to the game. Does that excuse the fan behavior? Some things just shouldn’t be be said in anger ever, but I’m not throwing stones at a hog fan for anything they yelled at the refs during the creighton game. And I don’t know what was yelled at mussleman but you at least got to just finish the handshake line before engaging in that stuff and not be flashing L signs in the face of the other teams star player and screaming go F yourself. I can’t imagine if say Calipari did that in the handshake line in nick smiths face with hog fans involved. Lord knows people on this board have yelled plenty from the bleachers to calipari. Mussleman is a great coach, a great Razorback, but everything he does isn’t beyond reproach. Maybe if he wins a national championship then he can have a free pass for life, but the Maui invitational third place game? Come on. We ain’t going back to Maui for a looong time

4 Likes

I totally want to play and beat them again. And then rub their faces in it. Those Aztec fans are jerks. Having to be held back trying to attack an assistant coach from the opposing team? Come on. I’m sure there was plenty of trash talking on both sides, but you’ve got to restrain yourself better than that. Really poor sportsmanship displayed by many of the SDSU fans last night.

3 Likes

Let’s not forget the SDSU coach was talking trash to one of our players during the game. This is much ado about nothing. I lived in SD for years and trust me, those fans can be really annoying. Should Muss have flashed the L sign? Nope, but a lot of things that happened shouldn’t have happened.

Seems like we fans can find something to complain about no matter what. Our privilege as fans but to whine about our coach being fiery and competitive isn’t something I’d change; it’s been a pleasant change.

4 Likes

Justifying bad behavior by pointing out bad behavior doesn’t fly. And the L symbol is somehow reprehensible when called the F word? Enough with the moral grandstanding.

3 Likes

I imagine Danyelle will get it sorted out.

4 Likes

I wasn’t there. All facts, as accurate as possible, need to be known before judgement is made, but…this is not the kind of news I want to hear from our coaches and/or players. Hopefully Mr. Yurachek will share some words of wisdom with Coach regarding restraint. I love his energy, but keep it smart.

2 Likes

Everything scuffle related happened at our dressing room entrance. Their fans came to our dressing room entrance. Their fans, one I saw personally, was removed from the arena by 2 police officers.

I think one area of improvement for this Tourn going forward has to be better officiating and better control by the officials. The refs were horrible.

On the good side, it’s a small tight gym, with fans packed on top of each other and even mixed with each other. It makes for an electric atmosphere whoever the teams are. In this particular case there was pre hate for our coach, and some history. Their fans were typical fans as they kicked our butt most of the game, up until we tied and then won it.

Then they went ballistic,

We got totally hosed in our second game and weren’t happy about it. But we didn’t attack them in the handcshake line or storm their dressing room.

5 Likes

Hunter tweeted the “3 blind mice” poster during the Creighton game. I doubt he’ll say anything about restraint to Muss.

2 Likes

There is no excuse for a coach who demands discipline from his players to behave in reaction to frustrated fans as Muss did. Tuesday night he behaved in a childless manner that distracted from the uphill battle of his players against the challenge of horrible calls. Last night he was aware of the taunting between the SDSU coach and Brazile before he walked down for the obligatory handshake. This was a Bruce Pearl reaction that might have been replaced by a walk-away reaction or perhaps a smile and wave sending the message to SDSU fans and their team, “Good game and we won!” Now we have a victory overshadowed by Muss’ reaction.

I realize my note represents a minority opinion but my Razorbacks deserve more maturity in leadership.

5 Likes

You talk about a reach with that statement. It sure as heck doesn’t overshadow that GREAT win for me. Muss’ reaction was after 2 hours of FUs and threats hurled at him. It was AFTER the game and was a harmless L sign.

2 Likes

One of the refs (last night) is a family friend. Jeb Hartness. His wife’s uncle and grandfathers owned a piece of McKee Foods (Little Debbie). Jeb is a good guy even though some of his calls were questionable. I texted his wife’s uncle this morning to say Jeb reffed our game. He asked if Jeb gave out any T’s. Their family are salt of the earth.

1 Like

Of course, I don’t know what the AD will say or not say, but I don’t see much similarity between the tweet and what happened post-game last night.

What happened post game besides an L sign by our coach, after being threatened and having FUs hurled at him for a couple of hours by the SDS fans? The initially announced scuffle between staffs was not what actually happened. A few SDS fans were actually charging our staff and an SDS assistant coach actually tried to hold one of the fans from getting to our staff.

3 Likes

Feeling a little dramatic this Thanksgiving? Go for it, I woke up this morning still fired up and proud of our Hogs

4 Likes