Football and basketball rankings question

Baylor I think is currently ranked #1 in men’s basketball and #2 in women’s basketball and their football team was at one point ranked in the top 5 (before their two losses to Oklahoma and their bowl loss).

I am pretty sure UConn has had both their men’s and women’s basketball teams win National Championships in the same year, but their football team would not have been highly ranked at all.

So are there any other schools that had their football team, men’s basketball team, and women’s basketball team all ranked in the top 5 in the same year? And what is the highest combination finish for a school’s football and basketball teams?

Same for Arkansas, what is the highest combo highest rank we have ever had for all 3 teams in the same year? And the highest combo finish for all 3 teams? I would guess we’d have to go back to the Nolan era or perhaps even the Sutton era.

I’m thinking 88-89-90 for AR, I remember the Lady Backs made a FF around that time, the men made a FF around that time, and Ken Hatfield had us in the Cotton Bowl. The only other year close was 78, but I don’t know if the women played basketball that year (can’t find any Lady Back stats prior to 80)

Ladybacks made the FF in '98, not '88. They did reach their first Elite Eight in '90.

The 78-79 years were best for football and basketball. Then you could add in men’s baseball for a more relevant finish than women’s basketball. Outside of Tennessee, not many women’s teams on the radar in college basketball in those days.

I think the best year for Arkansas had to be 1989-90 when the football team won the SWC, the men’s basketball team went to the Final Four and the women’s team went to the Elite Eight. All of those teams were ranked in the final AP poll.

The only school to ever win a football and men’s basketball national championship in the same academic year was Florida in 2006-07.

Here are some notable three-sport years:

• Georgia in 1982-83 when the football team won 11 games and both basketball teams played in the Final Four. The final AP finishes were 4 (football), 18 (men) and 8 (women).

• Oklahoma in 2001-02 when the football team won 11 games and both basketball teams played in the Final Four. The final AP finishes were 6, 3 and 2.

• Texas in 2002-03 when the football team won 11 games and both basketball teams played in the Final Four. The final AP finishes were 6, 5 and 5.

• LSU in 2005-06 when the football team won 11 games and both basketball teams played in the Final Four. Their final AP finishes were 6, 19 and 5.

• Louisville in 2012-13 when the football team won 11 games and both basketball teams played in the Final Four, with the men winning the national championship. Their final rankings were 13, 2 and 16.

It’s worth noting that the final AP basketball polls are released after the NCAA Tournament field is announced, not after the conclusion of the games. The final coaches’ poll is released at the end of the season, following the national championship game.

It’s also worth nothing that Texas and Louisville baseball teams also made the College World Series in those years noted.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.