Fishing

1 Like

Stealth is my fishing buddy.

You should paint the boots on your waders bright yellow. That’s the secret here.

I go drab. Stealth all the way. Friends don’t let friends wear neon in the river.

1 Like

The fish would think Clay’s waders are power bait.:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

That bird is a far better fisherman than Clay or anyone else. for else, fishing is fun and relaxing or whatever. For that bird, it is deadly serious. Catch fish and eat. Don’t catch fish and starve. That will get your attention fast.

Ah, ditch the polarized shades :dark_sunglasses: … a bell rings :bell:… get some wings! :angel:

We can go to Catfish Hole.

Can’t get great catfish in Chattanooga. We miss the Catfish Hole.

We are having a fish fry Monday at my in-laws house. They’ve been catching crappie in the Upper Ouachita just south of the Ark state line in some small oxbows off the river. Fresh crappie are the best eating and this guy can cook them right! Mouth watering as I type this.

2 Likes

Oh boy. Great eating. Best fish in our parts crappie and walleye.

1 Like

My Dad and Brother have been catching crappie in Arkansas county up until deer season. I hope to bring some back to Austin…and that is location specific as I will get on where they caught them!

1 Like

There are all sorts of little nooks and crannies in Arkansas County to catch crappie. I found out that when Jean Ann’s Uncle Don Horton took me fishing. We took a boat down the White River a few miles. Parked the boat. Carried two ice chests with ice 800 yards through the woods. Found another boat (with no motor) tied to a tree in a small lake that was once part of the White River. We paddled it around for six hours and filled up two ice chests with crappie. Then carried them back to the boat on the White River. It was an exceptional day. The trick was that it was the pre-dawn hours as we carried the ice chests to the boat in the little lake. We had flashlights tied strapped to our noggins.

2 Likes

A new place in Rogers I need to try, out of Benton, Eat My Catfish. Gulf shrimp, U.S. farm-raised catfish, crawfish tail po’boy, and chicken tenders. I picked up a menu, looks good.

Best place in Rogers to eat catfish is Catfish John’s. Has been for years.

My brother keeps a couple of small boats in some places like that and they are a bunch of fun to fish when the water starts to fall out of the Mississippi. I am lucky enough to have grown up fishing all over the White River Refuge and areas surrounding it.

My favorite fishing hole back home is Indian Bay an old White river channel in East Arkansas. Many days in my childhood and teens spent there. Lots of gar and snakes there too. Big gar.

Love Indian Bay. One of my favorite all time Duck hunting memories is running up Indian Bay in a boat while it was snowing. It was magical.

1 Like

Caught a lot of bass there. My uncle would drop me and my cousins off at daylight in his john boat with a 10 horse Elgin and trolling motor. We would fish all day and he’d pick us up after work. Prior to him getting a trolling motor I was in charge of stir paddling in the front. Those dang gar would hit my paddle and scare the daylights out of me. We did that the first week in June for years from age 12 to 18. Great, great memories. Tragically when I was 19 and my oldest cousin was 18 he had a heart attack on the steps of Phillips Community College and died. Not sure any of us ever got over his death.

2 Likes

Stir paddling? We called that sculling. I still do it on the White River. Not really the ideal way to handle a boat in moving water. But sometimes it’s alright.

1 Like