First pitch

I have been asked to throw out first pitch tonight. It’s likely going to be a lob. I hope Bubba Carpenter does not check spin rate or velo. That would be funny.

5 Likes

You going overhand or underhand? Watch out for the rotator cuff, Be sure to warm up.

1 Like

What a well deserved honor. Wish I could see it live.

1 Like

I fear my rotator cuff was messed up at age 17. Reinjured again playing church league softball in Tulsa. They put me at shortstop. Mistake. I did OK, but a few of those throws did hurt.

SilverlakeHog can probably recall some softball games between the sports staff of the World and Tribune. Interesting. I could still throw OK in those games. But something happened when I started playing in a competitive church league at about age 28. My shoulder got progressively worse.

Nothing bothers me on under hand tosses. I can spin a football underhanded and get it to where I want, but not overhand. I have no trouble with golf or fly casting.

And, it may not be altogether a shoulder issue. I have herniated discs at C2, C3 and C4. I have some band stretches or pulls that are supposed to be done regularly. When I start to feel numbness in my right index finger, I get after that band and I’m fine.

I expect a 93 mph fastball right over the heart of the plate. Anything less & wouldn’t let you throw another pitch. :grinning:

1 Like

I will do my best. I could throw it on a line from catcher to second base at Lamar Porter Field at age 15. It’s been all downhill since.

2 Likes

Be sure to find a place to throw plenty of warm-ups. I find it takes at least 8 or 10 to get the distance down when I haven’t thrown a ball in a while.

I doubt I throw any warmups – unless someone tells me I should and gives me a spot to do it. If it bounces, it bounces. The worst the count can be is 1-0.

My goal is to throw one of those un-hittable pitches like Kopps. It may not be catchable, either.

2 Likes

If they have the ump from last night, you could hit the ballgirl and he would call it a strike.

Either way, I’ll be there cheering you on Clay.

2 Likes

Look forward to it!

1 Like

If I do hit someone, it won’t hurt.

2 Likes

No I want to see you bring the heat Clay!!

1 Like

I’m hoping a video gets captured somewhere.

1 Like

Surely Matt will be on top of that…

1 Like

I love it. Enjoy the moment.

I’m having visions of Nuke LaLoosh beaning the mascot. Look out, Ribby!

1 Like

My cap for tonight. Old school.

3 Likes

Where can we get one of those, Clay? That’s sweet!

Was made special for a birthday party. I don’t know if they are on the market. I was given the cap.

1 Like

My warmup ball. It’s only baseball at Sarah’s house. Todd Butler gave it to her in Omaha. Todd is one of my closest friends and has learned to be a great fly fisher. He will visit me soon.

3 Likes