First anniversary of NIL

ESPN takes a look at perspective around the NCAA, quoting, among others, Hog gymnastics coach Jordyn Wieber, who turned pro after the Olympics rather than turn down money and be able to compete in college. Her experience has allowed her to advise her gymnasts. Story also notes that UA was the first school to hire a full-time staff dealing only with NIL issues.

And Jay Bilas discusses why NIL is a good thing and what needs to happen from here. Jay’s opinions can be controversial, to be sure, but he is also an attorney and can assess the legal landscape.

I have one question which is simply__If a collegiate playetr makes good money, why should he get a free education? The scholarship to some of these young guys/gals is pocket change.

Exactly why is that a problem, Bob? A music scholarship recipient can play in a band or produce solo music and get paid and nobody cares.

1 Like

Actually I feel no one knows what this will eventually do overall, but I fear the worst.
But the whole deal about scholarships in general is to help students pay for thier education. I fear in sports it will go well beyond that and just be another business.
And TV I feel is the main problem.

I hope I am wrong, but will most likely not be around long enough to see the final concept.

College sports has been just another business since the Supreme Court opened the TV floodgates in 1984. You’re about 38 years too late. Every time you turn on the TV or log in to see a streaming Hog game, you are participating in that business. A business where the people who actually do the work couldn’t get paid. Nobody buys season tickets to watch Muss or Sam or Saban coach.

I cannot disagree.

It’s because, as you said, nobody cares. The difference between the recruiting of the top level of athletes and the top level of musicians is night and day. Schools fight over top level athletes, with the exception of a few prodigies, musicians compete for spots at schools.

NIL isn’t going away. It’s a new business model and that’s that but I never saw the kids as victims like many people have over the years. Should have the NCAA allowed more money towards them in the past? Yes, but an education, housing, food along with top-notch training facilities and all the other perks ain’t cheap and isn’t victimhood.

3 Likes

Good point. It’s not.

But being forced to receive compensation below market value is incredibly un-American. Finally college athletes are able to capitalize on their market value and receive monetary compensation from an entity willing to pay them, not unlike I do in my job.

I love America.

Will agree to disagree.

There should not be any market value for an amateur college athlete.

But there is.

How much money was Darren McFadden or Corliss Williamson worth for the UA?

With what? That college athletes don’t have value? That America is built on capitalism and the free market? Do you not love America Richard?

I didn’t say the players shouldn’t be compensated more but I’m just saying they were never victims.

Many kids who never would’ve had a chance to get a college degree have the piece of paper because they were on scholarship. Many of lives were changed because of that. They also were able to develop contacts while in college that helped them after football.

If kids managed their money. they often were able to send money home. Schools should’ve been able to do more for kids when in need but the NCAA didn’t allow.

I said NIL is here to stay. I’m saying they aren’t victims like so many have said in the past.

Yeah I never said that either

If Capitalism is the main factor why is prostitution illegal?

Great question. Shouldn’t be IMO. Creating black markets increases dangerousness.

So you’re comparing NIL to streetwalkers? Back away from the keyboard, Bob.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.