Fire Away

Information has been difficult to come by today, but I know you all have questions you want answered. So if you have one about the search, ask here and I’ll do my best to answer based on the information I have available. If I don’t know an answer, I’ll let you know that, too.

Was CBS’ report accurate?

Will the Gus bus be parked in Alabama next year?

Is Wally and Schaap rumor likely

As far as you know is Kiffin even in the conversation?

On the salary (7 years, around $50 million), that falls in line with the kind of figure I think it will take to lure away a coach. The market value for a good SEC coach just went above $6 million this off-season and it’s going to take a long-term commitment to get a coach out of a better situation. See the Jimbo Fisher/Texas A&M deal.

Too soon to say, in my opinion.

I assume you are referencing whether a coach will be introduced Tuesday. I don’t know.

I believe Arkansas has a recruiting weekend set up to begin Friday. I think someone needs to be in place by then.

Who has actually interviewed for head coach?

So you (and I’m sure all of your colleagues) have been working the phones today and information has been hard to come by. National guys like Sallee are throwing out salary numbers and end of day deadlines.

Doesn’t that seem a little odd?

I think Sexton is playing them like a fiddle. What better way to get Auburn to pony up than close deadlines and dollar amounts?

So…I guess my question would be, do you buy any of the stuff coming from nation media guys?

I guess anything can happen, but paying a football coach over $7 million in our state would be a tough sell. No matter who it is. On top of that all the buyouts that still have to be paid? What about the salaries for Gus to put together a good staff? I’m not buying any of it.

As far as I know, he is not. That doesn’t mean he is not being considered.

I do not know. I expect Malzahn, or at least his representatives, will have conversations with Arkansas people today or tomorrow.

New rumor saying Gus has a midnight deadline from AR, so from your statement, that’s false?

There are wealthy individuals in our state who want Malzahn to come back to Arkansas and are willing to help pay for it.

As for buying talk of national media folks, I think it depends on the individual. Some have better track records of being correct than others. You can’t lump all media together. No different than what happened here on Thursday when some said Arkansas was hiring an AD, and others - us included - said it was too soon to say that. A lot of misinformation comes out this year, in part because too many try to report minute-by-minute information, which is subject to change.

Who is calling the shots on these hires?

Do you think the BOT is involved in the decision?

I did not say anything about that being false. I do not know if that is the case.

The board will be involved because it must approve contracts. As to whether it will be involved in other ways, I’m not sure.

Who is the 2nd choice after Gus…Norvell or Venables?

What’s plan B and C Matt ?
I’m hoping Gus don’t come.

It’s now being floated that outside of the long term, large contract that arkansas is also willing to help pay for top notch assistants, and recruiters.

Heard anything more detailed about that?