Feeling Great

I am not going to provide all of the details. I will state simply that everyone should have a regular colonoscopy. I went a little long between them. I may not have gotten the latest one without some issues.

My first was 10 years ago and did produce some pre-cancerous polyps. I had another one two years later that was clean. I didn’t follow instructions, to get another one five years later. I did have it Monday – eight years later – because of some issues that cropped up about three weeks ago. I think the news is good. There were more polyps and a touch of diverticulitis. I changed my diet a little over two weeks ago that has started my weight downwards. I’ve lost about 12 pounds.

The main thing I’ve done is eliminate a lot of fried foods and switched to water as my main fluid. Lots of water. It’s amazing how much that helps you in all areas. I am now starting a more aggressive exercise program, mainly a lot of walking.

I wouldn’t say I’ve ever been really over weight, but I probably am headed back to a more slender look of the past. If I have to get new clothes, great.

Follow the guidelines for good health when you are over 50. Do what the doctors tell you and maybe you can avoid what just happened to me. It’s a little scary.

My wife, the retired health teacher, nods her head in agreement with the doctor who tells me what a healthy diet looks like. She’s been advocating that for a good bit of time. Drink more water, exercise and lay off the fried stuff. She hasn’t eaten fried foods in about 40 years.

…I am of a similar age going through a similar process. I call it the “if it tastes good spit it out” diet. I can take or leave sweets without a problem but I dearly love and crave greasy, salty, fatty, foods. You give me a choice between chocolate cake and a polish sausage and I would always go for the sausage. After a couple of stents ten years ago, my cardiologist told me I had to go on a 30 grams of fat per day diet. I asked him how long, six months, a year? He said just as long as you want to live. Getting old is not for sissies. :x

What I was told, switch to this diet until two weeks after I die.

Glad to hear Clay.

My wife and I are on a plant based diet. We cheat here or there, but not much.

She recently had a physical and her blood work dramatically improved. I had my mine today so I’m anxious to see the results.

Studies show the plant based diet can reverse heart disease and other illnesses.

Wonder why God gave us incisors then? :smiley:

Seriously, I’m glad everyone is doing better. I try to make some changes as well. I’m still going to have a burger every couple of weeks and a steak about as often. But, I’m trying to eat more chicken and fish. I was told to shop on the outside sections of the grocery store and avoid all the processed foods in the middle aisles.

You’re absolutely right about water. I very rarely drink sodas, occasionally drink iced tea. It’s mostly water, milk, and a beer with most of the emphasis on water. It is amazing how much better you feel completely hydrated.

Fantastic message, Clay.

That is great news and a great message.

I was in Grad School at UT (spit) and was struggling (I thought) adapting my pick-up basketball games to the August Austin heat. Indoors was almost as bad as playing at the park. A friend in the program noted I had complained about the taste of my apartment’s water supply. I got a filter for the tap and doubled my water intake.

I peed a lot until I adjusted, and if it wasn’t a treat from the little brewery in Shiner, TX, I was on water only for about a month. I actually gained weight (water weight) but had an immediate burst on the court, no fatigue issues, and quit having nagging muscle issues. I have been a true-believer of the “drink more water” mantra ever since.

When I get my parents on vacation and can help guide them away from soft drinks they start feeling better. They have a shoddy water supply at home and the filter just doesn’t ge it done so Sprite and Diet Pepsi ge consumed more than they should. But, we vacation in two weeks and I’ll be in the “more water” kick for them.

Congrats Clay, and good luck to Richard on your blood work. To all - be healthy (the world needs as many Razorback fans as possible).

Mine is scheduled next month

There is nothing go lightly about go lightly

I’ve had a few colonoscopies. The last one was a couple of years ago. I was having some issues and my biggest concern was colon cancer. Turns out I have crohn’s disease. I was actually relieved to discover it was crohn’s and not cancer. I have a mild case of crohns and has been easily kept under control with medication.

A disease is unnatural.

Great news. Good for everyone.

In the past, almost 2 years I’ve eaten for fish and chicken than I’ve eaten in my life.

On the list was a colonoscopy, but due to the prostate issue nobody wanted to do that at that time.

The last time I had one was years ago and they prepped me and I was on my side ready to go. Well they forgot about me and I was just about ready to pull all that stuff off of me as I was just about to pass out. Not I have no idea how it is done today but I’ve not been back. My regular doctor wanted me to have one until the prostate cancer popped up. I’m still on a 3 month PSA test. So I’m not sure what I’m going to do.

Good for Clay and everyone that has spoken up!

I have had three and the bad part on each was the prep the day before. The actual procedures went well for me, so there may be hope of the same for you if you have the right Doctor and Anesthesiologist. I will say that the stuff they had me drink has gotten a little better, but still bad, each time. My Mother ignored the warning signs that she needed a colonoscopy for years. When she finally had it done, the cancer had spread from the colon cancer to her liver and lungs where it was inoperable by then for her. They dealt with the colon cancer completely, but the spinoffs from it going uncorrected for so long eventually killed her. Hope you get yours checked out soon. JMVHO

I am on a three year cycle given my history… As others have written, the prep is no fun, but the procedure itself is no problem. Probably saved my life. Don’t put it off.

Don, I thought about you as I was worrying about what might be going on. Mike Irwin has had some real issues and encouraged me to go straight to the doctor when I told him my symptoms. I did.

Glad you’re doing better and living healthier. As a waterholic I know the benefits of making H2O your go to beverage. Wish I could get my dad and oldest son to do the same. Waterholics don’t get constipated. Ever. Keep it moving and you avoid a lot of other problems.

Curious about your age. I am 66 and usually require 2-3 urination runs during each night’s sleep and I am on medication for my enlarged prostate. I am wondering if greater water consumption would help or hurt that problem?

Good thread and feedback from all.

It sounds like many of us are in the same boat. It is very important to pay attention to your body and how you feel.

I’ll share something that recently happened to me, but it is heart related.

On April 13th, my wife and I were traveling to a reunion of my 1972 State Championship baseball team up North. We were flying American Airlines from Little Rock and had a final connection in Charlotte, NC. When we landed in Charlotte from Dallas, we only had about 20 minutes to get to the next gate, which was probably about a half mile walk. Usually, when my wife and I are walking, she complains I’m going too fast (I’m 6’2" and she is 5’2"). This time, I remember I was having trouble keeping up with her. I was getting winded. We made it to the gate and I remember getting in line for the flight. The next thing I remember is being on an ambulance speeding to the hospital. I was conscious enough to realize what was happening, but that is not a good feeling. I knew I must have had a heart attack. I blacked out and later woke up in the ER. They called me the Miracle Man. While I was in there, the organ donor crew called the ER and they had to tell them “He is not deceased”.

Now, what happened at the airport, I only know because my wife witnessed the whole thing (God bless her!). She said I told her to get in line, then I collapsed. I went into cardiac arrest. There was no pain involved. She said there were two passengers in line that stepped up and recognized what was happening. One was an American Airlines pilot that was on our flight. They started CPR and sent for a defibrillator, which airports have. They worked on me for about 5 minutes and my heart was stopped. They showed up with the defibrillator and my wife said they cut off my shirt. She said American Airlines employees had formed a wall around me, I was purple, my wife thought I was dead. When they applied the paddles, my wife said I came a foot off the floor, my eyes opened, and I took a big breath. About that time, the Ambulance showed up. I ended up with two stents to open blocked arteries which I didn’t know I had. My doctor told me my heart was back to 100%. That is amazing. I learned there is not a way to detect blocked heart arteries without going in and injecting the dye and look at it. You can have a perfect EKG, and have a heart attack the next day. The only pain I have had is my ribs. The CPR cracked every rib, which I was told is because “they did it right”.

There are many other details, but the bottom line: God gave me a second chance. And, I know it. Pay attention to signals from your body, and pay attention when the Man Upstairs tries to talk to you.

Thanks for all the shares.

Pause to take stock and pay attention to your body talk.

Life is so very precious and we are fragile.

And again from the Polish poet and Nobel Laureate, Wislawa Szymborska.
From ‘Nothing Twice’

Nothing can ever happen twice.
In consequence, the sorry fact is
that we arrive here improvised
and leave without the chance to practice…

You can’t repeat the class in summer:
this course is only offered once.

Why do we treat the fleeting day
with so much needless fear and sorrow?
It’s in its nature not to stay:
Today is always gone tomorrow.

A rose indeed.

Hogmodo I’m 59 and I do pee a lot. Helps if I can get in a good workout and sweat a lot.

Water has replaced other fluids, no doubt not as healthy as water. I still go the same number of times. I’m 62 – almost 63. So I have two trips a night to empty my bladder. There have been some nights of late with only one trip. That probably has to do with less pressure on the bladder after dropping quite a few pounds. That was one thing my GP told me was going to happen as I lost weight. He said there is just more room in my gut. I know that has to be true.

Well now that makes sense. Maybe instead of being fat but fit, I should try being fit but not as fat. I’d love to go from being a two tripper to a one tripper. My problem is that my dad and I have very different nutritional needs and I’m responsible for feeding both of us. I’m doing pretty well at adding weight to him, while failing miserably at taking it off of me.