Feel the Rhythm - Va Tech

http://www.arkansasfight.com/2016/12/30 … ginia-tech

Trent Wooldridge does an excellent job every week with his write ups, but in this edition he was really able to articulate some things that I have been unable to do. Clearly, he is much more gifted.

I found this portion to sum up my feelings pretty well.

[quote]Coach Bielema, your team incurred 12 penalties last night to the tune of 75 yards. They gave the ball away four times. How does that align with your Five Edges philosophy?

Coach Bielema, you coached an outgoing senior and team leader that was busted for shoplifting from the sponsor of the football game he was about to play in, who had already given him $450 in goods. Would you call that behavior common or #UNCOMMON?

Coach Bielema, you coached an outgoing senior and team leader that was ejected from the game for spitting at an opposing player. Would you call that behavior common or #UNCOMMON?

The thing about marketing character is that character doesn’t put any points on the scoreboard or notches in the win column, and (this is the important part) IS NOT EXCLUSIVE TO YOUR TEAM. Dozens of other programs compete with character without marketing or seeking to capitalize on it, and more than a few manage to win more than Arkansas is winning while they’re at it.

When puritanical work ethic is the largest arrow in your quiver, and you get outworked, outcoached, and outclassed in front of the world multiple times in one season, you deserve every derisive smirk, every snarky comment, and every whimsical nickname that comes your way. You can console yourself with the millions you made this season.
[/quote]

Boom!

[/quote]

For about the millionth time, of course character isn’t exclusive to his team. And, on a 100 + man roster there are going to be some bad apples or good people who do dumb things.

It is an overall objective. Try and get good football players who are also good people. It is a recruiting approach designed to make the program more attractive to players at a time that they need absolutely every positive they can get.

And, yet, AGAIN it is one of the main things people continue to complain about.

It really amazes me. I get that when you hold yourself out to be better in an area (in this instance finding, signing and developing good people who are good football players) you are going to get slammed when things don’t go well.

But, it’s hilarious to me that our own fans don’t see it for what it is–an overall idea/goal (recruit good people and players) that is used as a marketing tool–nothing more, nothing less.

You recruit better by winning more. But, before you do that you have to figure out ways to get players to help you do that.

The same people who complain non-stop about his recruiting also complain about the Uncommon stuff-which is designed to help recruiting.

I guess he’s just supposed to do nothing different in recruiting and hope that better players magically start turning down the blue bloods and pick us.

For about the millionth time, of course character isn’t exclusive to his team. And, on a 100 + man roster there are going to be some bad apples or good people who do dumb things.

It is an overall objective. Try and get good football players who are also good people. It is a recruiting approach designed to make the program more attractive to players at a time that they need absolutely every positive they can get.

And, yet, AGAIN it is one of the main things people continue to complain about.

It really amazes me. I get that when you hold yourself out to be better in an area (in this instance finding, signing and developing good people who are good football players) you are going to get slammed when things don’t go well.

But, it’s hilarious to me that our own fans don’t see it for what it is–an overall idea/goal (recruit good people and players) that is used as a marketing tool–nothing more, nothing less.

You recruit better by winning more. But, before you do that you have to figure out ways to get players to help you do that.

The same people who complain non-stop about his recruiting also complain about the Uncommon stuff-which is designed to help recruiting.

I guess he’s just supposed to do nothing different in recruiting and hope that better players magically start turning down the blue bloods and pick us.
[/quote]

If #Uncommon is intended to help recruiting it’s time to explore new marketing slogans. Recruiting is the same as it’s been for four years.

As should come as no surprise I disagree with you and your disdain for the uncommon mantra. It likely was never intended to be the singular hook in recruiting, but part of an overall strategy. I find it curious because some individuals through their individual action are given the clout to counteract the acievements of so many others. Did we not have the highest number of graduate patche’s of any SEC program ( I know we were tied with another program), hasn’t our APR and GPA steadily gone up. I know these “uncommon” accomplishments are unimportant to some, likely some of the same who find Sprinkle’s and Morgan’s recent accomplishments so important!

I like the recent recruiting, myself. People still are complaining about a team that lacked enough contribution from 2012-13.

These are all great accomplishments that should be applauded. My gripe comes with the notion that we have a monopoly on good character kids and that because we do have good character kids that we will win more football games. I’ve never seen a correlation between GPA and volunteer efforts and wins.

Again, high GPAs and volunteer efforts are to be applauded, praised and things to be proud of. I haven’t seen the data that it gives us, or anyone, a schematic advantage.

For the One Million and first time–no one–not one person–is sayinf it gives us a schematic advantage.

It is an idea about (in general) what kind of kids they want to recruit and, an attempt (with varying degrees of success) to recruit good football players and get more interest from good football players and their parents.

That’s it. That’s all.

So, if it helps get is one more football player than if we hadn’t used it, it helps us schematically from the standpoint that we have a better player or players.

You get that, I’m sure.

[quote=“hog2009”]

These are all great accomplishments that should be applauded. My gripe comes with the notion that we have a monopoly on good character kids and that because we do have good character kids that we will win more football games. I’ve never seen a correlation between GPA and volunteer efforts and wins.

Again, high GPAs and volunteer efforts are to be applauded, praised and things to be proud of. I haven’t seen the data that it gives us, or anyone, a schematic advantage.
[/quote]I cannot prove that those accomplishments directly or even indirectly link to wins, but if the old recruiting adage is that you recruit the recruit’s Mother, does it hurt in having a reputation of helping the young man develop as a man and leave with a degree? I know this may not be the driver for the high profile kid, where it is not unusual they are seen as provider who needs to move through the process and to the league quickly.

[quote=“KeithGuthrie”]

[quote=“hog2009”]

[/quote]I cannot prove that those accomplishments directly or even indirectly link to wins, but if the old recruiting adage is that you recruit the recruit’s Mother, does it hurt in having a reputation of helping the young man develop as a man and leave with a degree? I know this may not be the driver for the high profile kid, where it is not unusual they are seen as provider who needs to move through the process and to the league quickly.
[/quote]I wouldn’t venture to guess what helps or hurts with recruiting.

Based on on field results, not sure our coaching staff does either. Maybe it’s time to change tactics?

[quote=“hog2009”]

[quote=“KeithGuthrie”]

My bad, obviously the attempt to have discussion did not fit your agenda.

Of course it is a schematic advantage.

1. smarter players can learn more. Beat someone by being smarter, right?
  2. you are likely recruiting players with appreciation of the bigger picture (life after football). Or, at least the families do.
  3. it allows you to focus on players who fit your ideals - quit chasing problems early in the process

How much of an advantage? None, if you don’t win those recruiting battles. None, if you don’t allow that philosophy to produce a 4th- or 5th-year player (by bailing on the philosophy and/or the coach)

Then we are doing a poor job of winning those recruiting battles.

[quote=“hog2009”]

[quote=“KeithGuthrie”]

I think you and JacksonReid should get together and come up with a new recruiting idea/slogan/plan. You both criticize the #uncommon one, so give us something better. JacksonRied wants to bring in Row the Boat, but I don’t think that’s any better than #Uncommon. What is your idea for going out and getting top players to come to Arkansas?

This is circular and inane and one of the main reasons these boards are pointless, anymore. Everyone has to be right.

You just can’t admit that someone else makes a valid point or that, although you have some valid gripes, some of it is just immaturity and “gotcha” internet message board stuff.

You gripe about something trivial. People explain the obvious–which is that it’s a harmless, although admittedly banal marketing tool that may have some value, but probably not a huge benefit.

That’s hard to deny, so you ignore that and revert to some trite complaining about the recruiting, because again, it’s a message board so you have to be right.

Honestly, if you have a problem with the staff trying to find good people who are also good football players and in doing so using a catchphrase (something that Jacksonreid’s hero, PJ Fleck does nonstop) then you’re just griping to gripe and there’s no point in even engaging in any kind of discussion or debate.

[quote=“Hollywoodbeachhog”]

Not blowing 17 point halftime leads to the worst team in the SEC on CBS and not blowing 24 point halftime leads in your bowl game when your the only game on TV at the time. 9-4 may just sit better with a recruit than 7-6.

Recruiting is about the same as it has been for the last 20 years. Uncommon, common or otherwise.

I’ll hold any comments/response for this Woolridge guy for about 15 years and see how that southpaw ace is doing in the Major Leagues then.

Hog 2009, Think you went off your meds again?