Favorite TV Shows...

Well, we have favorite movies…gotta do this one, too.

1. Rockford Files
  2. Seinfeld
  3. Wonder Years
  4. The Fugitive
  5. Curb Your Enthusiasm
  6. Twilight Zone
  7. Everybody Loves Raymond
  8. The Andy Griffith Show
  9. Wonderful World of Disney
    10.Leave it to Beaver
  10. X-Files
  11. Married with Children

Steinfeld was a great show. I also like watching old reruns of All In The Family. Archie Bunker could have been a poster child for the not political correct. :lol:

I think for me, I have to break this down into “Classic” TV series, and more modern ones - because they are very dissimilar to each other in many significant ways.

Again, in no particular order . . .

[color=#4000FF]“Classic TV”[/color]

Dallas - It probably makes a difference, for me, in that I was living in Dallas when this series hit and was hot. Actually pulled into a gas station where they were filming a scene one day. I used to love it when JR would box Cliff Barnes’ ears around, figuratively speaking. Poor Cliff never caught on.

Gomer Pyle, USMC - Sergeant Carter, Gomer, Duke, etc. Some good comic writing.

Streets of San Francisco - a very young Michael Douglass, and one of my all-time favorite actors, Karl Malden

Mary Tyler Moore - Mary, Lou, Ted, Phyllis, Rhoda, Sue Ann (Betty White) . . . one of the greatest collections of actors ever on any series.

Ed Sullivan Show - just for the sheer variety of acts, but primarily because it was THE place to catch the new, up-and-coming rock stars of the day (Beatles, Stones, Doors, etc.)

Man from U.N.C.L.E. - I was just the right age to be intrigued by Napoleon Solo and Ilya Kuryakin in this James Bond knock-off.

Twilight Zone - Masterful tales of suspense and Fantasy as interpreted by Rod Serling, who was way ahead of his time.

Seinfeld - Best comedy show on TV, even through today, IMO. Cast perfectly!

[color=#4000FF]“Streaming Era”[/color]

Mad Men - This show, aside from having some wonderful story-lines, transports me back to the early 60’s like a time machine. It just FEELS like those years used to feel, in real time.

Breaking Bad
- Already acclaimed as perhaps the best TV series ever, it should be no surprise to see this on any list of superlatives.

Better Call Saul
- one of the very, very few “Spin offs” that is about as good as the original is was spawned from.

Rectify - Way, way off-the-radar series (from, of all places, the Sundance Channel) about a character wrongly (or, was it?) convicted of a serious crime in his teens, whose conviction is over-turned several years later. The show is about his attempt to re-acclimate to life, the significant changes that have occurred in the interim, and the reaction of the community to him “coming home”. Beautifully and deftly acted, with great nuance and subtle plot twists. This is like a wonderful wine - to be enjoyed at it’s own pace, with “sips” instead of gulps. Some will find it too slow moving, but those that stay with it will be rewarded with an unusually satisfying experience.

The Americans - Recently concluded drama from the Cold War era. Did a wonderful job of keeping the suspense on edge throughout - although I must admit that the grand finale was a little disappointing; at least, for me. But the 5 season ride was a very satisfying journey.

Damages - First rate series that has an over-arching plot line across all seasons, as well as completely resolved plot lines within each season. Just when you think you’ve got something figured out - it changes. Top notch suspense.

I’ll just go with Rachael. Just have to see what the truth is. (>;

WKRP in Cincinnati
Lou Grant
Mary Tyler Moore
Everybody Loves Raymond
Most anything on I.D.
In the Heat of the Night
Blue Bloods
SWAT (the old series, though I do like the new series as well)
Hawai’i Five-O (the old series only)
Rockford Files
Sanford and Son
All in the Family
The Partridge Family (when I was a child; pretty lame watching it now)
Barney Miller

MASH
Hawaii 5-0
Perry Mason
Dallas
Seinfeld
Peyton Place
Gunsmoke - Pointless/Useless information. I made the transition with James Arness from radio to TV. Not many were successful. He was!

Newer:
Breaking Bad
Sons of Anarchy
The Americans
Better Call Saul
Justified
Game of Thrones
Westworld
Sopranos
King of the Hill
Archer

Older:
Man from U.N.C.L.E.
Twilight Zone
Outer Limits
Gunsmoke
Rat Patrol
Combat

1. Gunsmoke
  2. Perry Mason
  3. Rockford Files
  4. NCIS
  5. Law and Order
  6. Justified
  7. Blue Bloods
  8. Bull
  9. Longmire
  10. MASH

Currently:

1. Forged in Fire
  2. Vikings
  3. Flea Market Flip
  4. Game of Thrones

Old Timers:

1. MASH
  2. WKRP in Cincinatti
  3. Seinfield
  4. Andy Griffith

Man, I forgot about the Sopranos. It may be TV at its finest.

Hogan’s Heros
WKRP
Blue Bloods
Big Bang Theory
How I Met Your Mother (with the statement being that they RUINED the show with the final episode. I will not watch the reruns)
Magnum PI (original)
NCIS

Hunting Hitler…compelling evidence
American Ripper…premise that Jack The Ripper was an American
Blue Bloods
Mission:Impossible
Gunsmoke
Black Sheep Squadron(uncle was mechanic for Pappy Boyington’s outfit)
Austin City Limits

Umm, I hate to say this, but James Arness was not on the Gunsmoke radio series. It was William Conrad. I know that one Wikipedia article says that Arness was on radio, but that is wrong. This Wikipedia article correctly distinguishes between the radio and TV casts.

BTW, Doc Adams was played on radio by Howard McNear, later known as Floyd the Barber on the Andy Griffith Show.

I have been listening to old Gun Smoke radio shows on XM. To me the William Conrad Marshall Dillon and the James Arness Marshall Dillon were vastly different! I liked William Conrad a LOT but he was not as good a Dillon as Arness.

50s to 70s:
Have Gun Will Travel
Rawhide

70s to 90s:
Hill Street Blues

21st century:
Justified
NCIS
Blue Bloods
Chicago PD
Ray Donovan

Justified was the best series ever. The last year and a half wasn’t quite up to par after Elmore Leonard died. He had input into just about every episode up until he died. No one was better in developing characters than Elmore.

Thanks Baum and Greg for straightening me out. At my age I sometime manufacture my own realities and view facts as necessary nusiance.

I had forgotten about Hill Street Blues… LOVED that show… definitely should’ve been in my list. Loved Justified as well… great show.

Don’t feel bad, and don’t feel like the lone ranger. I’ve told the story for years of being at the game when Roberto Clemente broke Bob Gibson’s leg with a line drive off of Gibby’s leg. All of that is true, but as I remembered it, Gibby tried to warm up and was fine until he threw his first pitch for real. Except that is not what happened. Gibson actually pitched several more live pitches. I did get the basics right.

I clearly remembered being at the Hog/SMU game that was the last game before SMU got the death penalty. Remembered a lot of details. But then I realized that the game was in Dallas and I wasn’t there. Sigh.

Binge watched Rectify this past summer - FANTASTIC viewing experience