Fans need to take blinders off

The hogs basketball team after Nolan was down right hard to watch under Heath and Pitiful!
Mike Anderson won at UAB and went to the Dance. He won at Missouri and went to the elite 8. He left Missouri and came to Arkansas. He has improved the talent on the team and he has won.
The recruiting class coming in next year is better than it’s been since the 90’s. Our hogs have played hard and with less talent on our roster we have the same record as Kentucky!
For all of you that don’t like Coach Mike Anderson take a hard look at the picture in front of you. We have a honest man as our coach whom has integrity and does his job the right way.
Im proud Mike Anderson came home to the hill to lead our Hogs!

What he said.

Well said—total agreement

Well said.

Hoo-ahh! or whatever you guys say.

HOOAH!!! I agree.

Well said

Well said.

I agree 100% W.P.S.

Well said and Bravo Zulu to you…That’s my old Navy roots talking :grinning:

That’s exactly where I am Army. We are a competitive program despite being at a competitive disadvantage in the sewer that is college basketball today. Imagine how well Mike would be doing if everyone was playing by the same rules, recruiting wise? I want to win more than we are now, but not at the expense of not doing things the right way. Have we ever had a coach who’s players had the level of academic success that Mike’s teams have had? I see our program getting stronger by the year. If we can just maintain the faith and not do something stupid, Arkansas basketball is going to rise to another level very soon.

For some fans it is an issue of Resources versus Decisions with Mike. Mike is improving the resources but he has made some bad decisions about how he uses the resources. These decisions are an issue that has led to glaring losses. It does not help that NR and Mike both say they don’t worry about scouting other teams because we are going to play our scheme regardless. That worked for NR when the game was different, but it is not working now to be stubbornly committed to one style/scheme. We have to use different defenses and offenses now to compete with good teams. A diverse mix of defenses would serve this roster better this year, but next year may be different if we have good guard depth to handle the fatigue of trapping man, switches and pressing.

There is no need for replacing Mike, but he does need to make changes in his schemes. Mike isn’t a sacred cow that has to melt down and have to be fired- he just needs to adapt to take us to the next level!!! Mike makes decisions about defense, substitution patterns, in game adjustments, etc that have exposed the need for him to improve in some areas. He has earned the right to some patience but that is wearing thin now so he needs to adapt and not be so stubborn about his trapping man, switches and pressing. He needs to use different defenses in addition to the trapping man, switches and pressing as a means of disruption. He should use trapping man, switches and pressing if he has the roster to play it more in the future.

I know Nolan said that (I don’t recall Mike saying it, but maybe he has). By all reports that just isn’t true or is vastly overstated. Go back and watch Nolan’s teams vs. LSU when they had Shack and tell me he didn’t scout them and play in a way to minimize Shack. He did.

I have had concerns with Mike. But this isn’t one of them.

I loved that move by NR which I think was bringing the Big O out to the perimeter so Shaq would follow him? I just want Mike to make adjustments.

I’ll accept critcism of MA, but I have a hard time accepting the idea that he isn’t a good coach. He’s obviously very good. To get into the “great” or “near great” category, he probably needs to win the NCAA or get to the Final 4 several times. However, it’s almost impossible to get a great coach or to get a coach who will continue to be great if he gets here. (Think Tubby Smith at Memphis.).

Army makes great points. We are winning & under no NCAA cloud. We might win more if MA were willing to break rules. I don’t want to win that way. I want to win more than we have, but no one can objectively look at MA’s record here and believe he’s inadequate as a coach. People who want to get rid of a coach who hasn’t gotten us to a Sweet 16 or better are unrealistic. We have a program that’s good enough to get us there or beyond. MA has created that. That’s all we have a right to expect. We can be disappointed we haven’t gotten further, but disappointment shouldn’t lead to foolishness.

Ho hum! I’ve heard that before. About 1/3rd to half of our classes are the best as was last year’s class. Kentucky may have more talent, but they are mostly one and done. After a couple of years, with two or more years extra experience, I believe our 4 star players should match up well against Kentucky’s first year 5 star players.

I don’t want to win if it takes cheating! Do it the right way. Faith my friend is all we have.
Your right about the recruiting and talent getting better. I hate to get beat at anything and I root for everything Razorback.
I look at this too. Kentucky finished with the exact same conference record and overall record as the Hogs and Greaseball had the #1 recruiting class again last year. He can only win with top talent he sure can’t coach!

Additionally, Alabama (6), Missouri (7), A&M (21) and Auburn (28) had higher ranked recruiting classes than Arkansas. Auburn is the only school that finished higher than Arkansas.

You have hit it PJ.
The team that overachieved is Tennessee
Rick Barnes did a great job this year! The hogs have been overachieved in each of Mike Anderson’s years on the hill! That’s based on recruiting rankings. I just wonder if Garland isn’t able to play will Coach go after a Big Man?

-I think some fans are emotional about Mike that they view any criticism of CMA that we are saying he is “inadequate”.
-He is a good coach but he may not be a great coach in some fans eyes.
-Mike is very stubborn about his use of NR’s style/schemes BUT it bites us in the butt at times so we lose.
-Mike is doing a great job recruiting but he also decides to use those player resources in ways that don’t align with the roster or give us an advantage against some teams.
-If you are not getting better every year you are falling behind.
-Adapting your scheme to improve your success is just as important as player talent.
-Do you think Mike should be asked to continuously improve as most of our culture does?

Just so my comments are not taken out of context or twisted by a poster, "For some fans it is an issue of Resources versus Decisions with Mike. Mike is improving the resources but he has made some bad decisions about how he uses the resources. These decisions are an issue that has led to glaring losses. It does not help that NR and Mike both say they don’t worry about scouting other teams because we are going to play our scheme regardless. That worked for NR when the game was different, but it is not working now to be stubbornly committed to one style/scheme. We have to use different defenses and offenses now to compete with good teams. A diverse mix of defenses would serve this roster better this year, but next year may be different if we have good guard depth to handle the fatigue of trapping man, switches and pressing.

[color=#FF0000]There is no need for replacing Mike, but he does need to make changes in his schemes. Mike isn’t a sacred cow that has to melt down and have to be fired- he just needs to adapt to take us to the next level!!! Mike makes decisions about defense, substitution patterns, in game adjustments, etc that have exposed the need for him to improve in some areas. [/color]He has earned the right to some patience but that is wearing thin now so he needs to adapt and not be so stubborn about his trapping man, switches and pressing. He needs to use different defenses in addition to the trapping man, switches and pressing as a means of disruption. He should use trapping man, switches and pressing if he has the roster to play it more in the future.