Fans Can Make This Rebuild Even Worse

The Hogs did not have any official visitors at the game today although they did have some unofficial visitors. What they saw from the fans could not have impressed them.
You can say Arkansas has the best fans in the country, but the behavior today is counter productive to the effort of recruiting their way out of this mess. Fans say they want great recruiting class, but why would a kid want to come here and be abused by the fans.
There is no doubt this is frustrating. Coach Morris has to sell a product that at first may not live up to his sales pitch. Fans need to understand what is going on here and be supportive. If they can’t do that they should stay home. That would be better for this team moving forward than coming to a stadium and booing a group of kids who are at the very least trying as hard as they can to be the best that they can. Many are not achieving that, but it is the coaches jobs to coach them out of this and the fans need to understand that and support it. If they cannot then they need to jump off the band wagon until the team wins again.
This season is going to be painful. It is going to get worse before it gets better. That is almost certain. So if you can’t handle that without booing and bad mouthing everyone involved then stay home. Otherwise, come, support and say you stuck with this team through the worst of times and now you are reaping the rewards when the turnaround comes.

I’ll be there for all but one of the remaining home games and won’t boo, but I won’t criticize those that do. This has become a multi million dollar business and its funded in large part by Arkansans who are asked to pay their hard earned dollars for tickets and donations.

They have been pretty dang resilient given the poor product on display for the past seven years.

That said, people are fed up and pissed… can you blame them?

Chad is paying for the sins of his predecessor. Unfortunate for him, but such is the reality of coaching in the SEC. Upside - you will be very wealthy. Downside - you are expected to win and do so quickly.

I really put in a lot of thought, I don’t think CCM is the guy but here is my thought of what we may need to try:

It’s start all over time. If CCM wants to be here after this season, I’d stop with this offense now. Right now. It will not work. Not right now anyway. “I” formation, pistol, and even wildhog should be utilized. WE HAVE TALENT. Get the O lineman back to their comfort zone. Stop the square peg/round hole disaster. There has to be a balance.

He talks about looking in the mirror and all that - well your career is at a big crossroads. Either adapt(which you said you could), and show your team that they are capable of competing. Give them some confidence. Do what we do best, which is run the ball, Play action, things that they were able to do all of last year. There is plenty of game tape.

Defensively, JC was brought in here to fix things. The same goes for him. Man coverage was so bad. Fix it. Find a balance.

It has to be not so forced. It’s looked forced all year, all the way from the spring game.

Close the practice sessions. Circle the wagons and listen to the players. They will tell you what they are capable of, and give you that. They have to take ownership of part of this. They seem like they aren’t feeling it or listening. Again, back to the coach.

STOP BLAMING CBB. CCM was brought in here and told them he could use these players to make it work. He wanted this job, and said he could do it. It is time to get it done. There has to be an answer. And the answer isn’t to be waiting for 3 years to get “his own players”. That’s a cop out. Players make plays. Put them in a place that they can make plays. Stop making it so difficult.

This is not SMU or High School. But if he continues to force the type of coaching style and preparation to the team and fans, he will find himself back there. 1-11 or 2-12 will get him sent packing. Stop thinking he won’t get fired after one season. Getting embarrassed on ESPN and made to be a joke is not good. Empty stadiums and boos reverberate all the way to the BOT. Don’t kid yourselves. This is big business. It’s about wins. And image.

You keep saying in caps WE HAVE TALENT. Rather than TYPING THIS IN ALL CAPS PLEASE TELL US WHO THE REALLY GOOD TO GREAT PLAYERS ARE ON THIS TEAM?

Which teams in the SEC do you think Arkansas has more talent than?

If this team is so talented why did they go 4-8 last year and beat the worst team in the Sunbelt by one point?

It is way too early to say CCM is not the guy but we can all agree he has not been the guy we were hoping/expecting in the last 2 games. I do agree with your points though, the coaches have to put the players in the best possible position to win, the fans don’t care if it is RPO or Power I play action.

It looks like the Hogs are heading to a 2 or 3 win season but from this fans perspective, I am looking to see some improvement throughout the season. That is the mark of a well coached team but there is no way that there will be a head coaching move at the end of the year…well, i guess i should never say never. :shock:

I have watched the I formation not work here my entire life. I have seen us line up in every formation known to man and run the I formation out of them. Camo forms of The I formation. They havnt worked either.

Next

Coaching has to come into play somewhere there is a reason why they get paid the big bucks… We have more than enough talent to beat the two teams we lost to this year and you know it… What happened on that field this season especially yesterday was just bad COACHING

It would be better for the program, IMO, for fans to stay home and save their money rather than go to the game and boo. Sorry. Just because fan’s have the right to boo doesn’t mean they should, or that its helpful.

You want the Hogs to get better. Don’t do stuff that hurts recruiting. Pretty simple if you ask me. HS kids probably understnd the stands aren’t full because a team is losing. Its harder to explain “the crown boos players here.”

And yes, I understand fans were probably booing the decision to play Kelly. But if Bob Holt thought they were booing Cole and asked that question…what do you think Cole thought.

As for scrapping the offense…seriously? You can’t scrap an offense midseason. They can simplify. But we can’t block the power or the counter or the iso…plays they ran last year and that we again ran last week and yesterday…albeit out of the gun. But the blocking assignments were definitely those plays. Yes, we have added the zone read, which Cole can’t run. But the power stuff is there and we can’t execute it. That’s not scheme.

I agree we have enough talent to beat CSU. Not North Texas.

Their front seven overmatched our OL

Their QB is far better than any of ours

Their receivers were better than our DBs.

It’s gets so increasingly frustrating to hear the “self-righteous” fans lecture others, telling them they shouldn’t boo at a college football game. As if the fans, rather than the lack of a visible plan for the future, will impact a recruits decision.

1. this coaching staff deserved to be boo’d all the way out of the stadium yesterday.

2. very few, if any fans, were booing a player.

3. it’s a multimillion dollar sport that is becoming more and more and expensive.

4. I won’t boo anyone, not even a professional team. It’s not who I am. Although I will boo an opposing team.

5. this program has much much much bigger issues than fans who boo coaches.

Here’s to better days ahead! #onceahogalwaysahog

It’s not a question of whether the program has more problems than booing fans or fans who leave early. Obviously it does. However, as fans we can only do so much. The question is whether we want to do our small part to help the rebuilding effort or whether we want to feel gratified by booing. Nothing good comes of the booing. Does anyone think this makes a player or coach try harder? Does anyone think it impresses a recruit?

If a fan wants to boo our own players or coaches, I suppose its his right. However, I just don’t think the person who does it is a very good fan. I think they’re hurting the program. Maybe not as badly as some other things hurt it, but still hurting it.

[quote=“GeauxHogs”]

It’s gets so increasingly frustrating to hear the “self-righteous” fans lecture others, telling them they shouldn’t boo at a college football game. As if the fans, rather than the lack of a visible plan for the future, will impact a recruits decision.

1. this coaching staff deserved to be boo’d all the way out of the stadium yesterday.

2. very few, if any fans, were booing a player.

3. it’s a multimillion dollar sport that is becoming more and more and expensive.

4. I won’t boo anyone, not even a professional team. It’s not who I am. Although I will boo an opposing team.

5. this program has much much much bigger issues than fans who boo coaches.

Here’s to better days ahead! #onceahogalwaysahog

[/quote]As unhappy as I was at the game. I will not boo a college program with 18, 19, 20, kids who might mistakenly think it was directed toward them, especially if there are recruits in the stadium. Do you think this would be a formula for success? It has nothing to do with being" self righteous"

Booing empowers fans who are sick and tired of the sheer embarrassment. I will never be critical of any fan that boos nowadays. It is deserved, regardless of whom it is directed at. If Cole Kelley wants to play major college QB and not get booed, then don’t make boneheaded plays and throw picks. It’s on you, dude. Some of those throws showed no regard at all for protecting the football. No regard for the team.

I won’t boo and would prefer it not happen. But this football program is such a complete disaster, the booing is well deserved. Very well deserved.

You self righteous people lecturing others not to boo are ridiculous. Arkansas fans are good fans. They deserve a helluva lot better than what they are getting. Let them boo regardless of whatever slight impact it might have on recruiting.

So go ahead and boo even if recruits are there with parents and be dammed if it has any effect on the future of the program? Sheer Brilliance.

I don’t boo and never have - that said, I expect recruits and their parents are far more concerned about a CUSA team running roughshod in a half empty stadium than they are a few boo birds.

What he said.

I didn’t boo. I wanted to. If I had it would have been directly at the coaching staff.

Maybe we should get rid of all message boards that discuss our disgust with the program since it’s highky likely recruits or their parents or friends are reading them. I mean where does it end. Do we just put on a smiley face and talk only positive all the time, no matter where we are so as to no be labeled as harming the image of Razorback football. My opinion unlike yours is that recruits are more focused on what the coaches are doing rather than what the fans are doing.

I didn’t say recruits are more focused on fans rather than the coaches. I said fans have limited impact, but whatever impact fans have can be positive or negative. Neither did I say fans should never criticize or discuss issues. I said they shouldn’t boo their own players.

Do I prefer positivity on message boards to negativity? Not necessarily. Days like today are understandably negative. However, it’s a matter of degree & a matter of reasonableness. It’s “negative” but reasonable to say the coaches didn’t have the team ready or that we’re devoid of talent or things along those lines. It is totally unreasonable 3 games into a regime to be calling for a coaching change as some are. Let’s not act as though we were a 10-2 team last year that suddenly became awful with a coaching change. We were 4-8 last year & looked awful in many of those games. And last year we had an experienced QB.

Your “where does it end” question ought to be clear to anyone. It should end when it goes from reasonable criticism to things like booing, calling players or coaches stupid names, and other juvenile tantrum-like posts.

This was a hard one to watch. To all of the fans that can’t watch, I understand. Until CM gets a SEC competitive roster It will remain hard to watch, especially against this level of should win teams. It is obvious that the talent level is a long way off given the whipping we have taken these past two weeks. But, look at the lineup, especially the bigs on both sides. We just gotta recruit our way out of this situation. As painful as it is, I will keep watching, the kids are giving their best it is just not very good.