Familiar Scene

I thought North Carolina was gift wrapped game. First, Meeks touched his hand out of bounds with one hand with the ball against his body before a jump ball was ruled late in the game. Twice UNC players cleared arms away with off hands going up with the ball in the other hand on made inside shots, clear offensive fouls. A UNC defender pushed Gonzaga’s ace all the way across the lane before he turned his ankle in final minute. That was a foul not called. This is enough to turn a tight game and it did. Sad to watch.

I saw that in real time too - before the replay, which confirmed it 100%.

For those reading who may not be following what we’re talking about, there was a scramble under the N Carolina basket with just under a minute left to play in last night’s Championship game, with UNC up 1 point. Eventually, Kennedy Meeks came up with the ball and was tied up while he was sitting on the floor. Problem is, while he was scrambling for the ball, he had one hand palm-down out of bounds while he was touching the ball. The ball was in-bounds, but that doesn’t matter in this situation. Just as in Football, if the live ball comes in contact with a player who has any of his body parts out of bounds, the ball is out of bounds and awarded to the other team.

Based on the alternating possession rule, UNC kept the ball and went on to score a basket with 27 seconds left for a 3 point margin. A huge play that neither the referees, nor the TV crew ever mentioned - even as they watched and commented on multiple replays to of the play. The play was not dissimilar to the charge/walk that was NOT called on UNC with about a minutes to go in our game with them, which led to a basket that gave them a 3 point lead late. Similar impact on the game.

To be sure, there were many bad calls in that game. On both sides. But those late in the game end up deciding the issue. And it’s odd that those calls all seem to have had a Carolina blue hue to them this post-season. We were unfortunate enough to have been in their path (yet again).

I am glad you mentioned the offensive fouls. They were clear but unmentioned on the telecast.

When you compare those to the 4th foul on Collins–an offensive touch foul posting up before the ball even really got into the front court (and a 5th on a cheap push right after he had been pushed on the same blockout) it kinda makes you sick.

I was texting with friends at half and we agreed that the refs would do their unlevel best to foul out the Gonzaga bigs.

I’ve noticed the major sports networks are starting to cover WWE wrasslin as if it is a mainstream, actual sport that isn’t pre-determined.

The more I watch college hoops the less I think such equal coverage of the WWE seems fitting.

In the name of “freedom of movement” (how does calling a ton of fouls foster more flow?) the college game is protecting its brand-name teams.

I’m sick of it but I look around and see some of our own fans bending over backward to justify/deny things that are as plain as day.

Jerry Tipton, who covers Kentucky, had a nice tweet about all of this: https://twitter.com/NotJerryTipton/stat … 40/photo/1

'82: Brown passes to the wrong team

'93: Webber calls TO

'05: AFAM

'09: AFAM

'17: Refs

Better to be lucky & crooked than good, I guess.

Jerry Tipton, who covers Kentucky, had a nice tweet about all of this:

https://twitter.com/NotJerryTipton

Not Jerry Tipton‏ @NotJerryTipton

'82: Brown passes to the wrong team

'93: Webber calls TO

'05: AFAM

'09: AFAM

'17: Refs

Better to be lucky & crooked than good, I guess.

The thing I don’t get was why none of the announcers saw any of those plays. They all should be removed from doing the title game. Poorly done.

That’s a parody account. That’s not Jerry Tipton.

Believe me they did. For this particular game they were probably told not to offer any negative critiquing of officials in order to push focus on the player’s performance.

The solution being social media has given a voice to millions and when the same opinion is being driven nationwide by sport’s columnists on USA Today, ESPN, Foxsports, Paul Finebaun, NBA players tweeting in disgust etc… that the ref’s blew so many called too many touch fouls and missed calls that it soured the game and the entertainment value was drastically deluded.

Oddly enough the attention given to the Tarheels have many (especially recruits & ACC rivals) refocusing their attention on the NCAA punishment that awaits that storied program.

What killed me was Carroll traveling late in the game(again) and not getting called for it while Gonzaga gets called for traveling the next time down the floor.

The flagrant one on the big center was also pretty silly, and was a big turning point in the game.

Clay, is this a conspiracy? Do the officials have secret meetings and decide who will be the victor beforehand?

Are they being paid off?

Do officials not know all close calls are replayed and scrutinized by millions of tv watchers?

Why do we get so wrapped up in our sports teams if officials determine every outcome?

I don’t know about conspiracy. But it was bad officiating. And, they did have a lot to do with who won. Those three should not get to call again.

Are the officials in the NCAA hired as a team or as individuals? If they are individuals who have not worked together, then no matter how high they are graded, they may not work well together as a team. If you hire as a team that has worked together all year, then it might be that the better team member can help the worse of the three. But officiating as a whole is not very good. It is really sad that in the title game they called a foul on average of every 55 seconds or so. The fourth foul on Collins was an absolute nothing offensive foul. He had to sit for 8 minutes through the middle of the second half, completely taking the Zags’ biggest strength (their two bigs) away from them.

They are hired as individuals. But, often times they have worked together.

Aloha,

As I previously stated, the officials throughout the tournament held the door open for UNC’s wins. Most alarmingly against UA, UK and Gonzaga. Just horrendous officiating.

GHG!

I saw that too. I laughed in told my wife that the walk call on the Zags was a make up call for missing the walk on UNC!

I wasn’t even sure the Zag player walked. Not saying he did or didn’t, but it wasn’t nearly as bad as the UNC player.

One of the most poorly called finals I can remember.

I dislike Few and wish both teams could have lost. It was
a brutal heavy weight type of game, and it appears that
walking as a penalty is being actively overlooked.

I think Roy and the Tarheels should be worried. It is my memory is that most teams under NCAA investigation get extra heat if they win big based on cheating.

This is my own private Hell. I’ve been stewing about this for probably 20 years or so.

When I watch a game - a game I have some interest in - I’m consumed by it. I can’t help but notice every little thing. I don’t consider myself anything special, but after 60 years of watching football, basketball and baseball I suppose anyone should have picked up some things. However, nothing most other fans who have also been watching a long time haven’t also picked up, as far as I know.

So I’m there on my sofa, watching a game and I see a play like the one we’re discussing. In real time, I see what has happened, and have an expectation of what the result will be based on that long-term experience of observing games. When the outcome is different - i.e., wrong - it blows my mind when NO ONE on the telecast EVEN NOTICES THAT THERE IS AN ISSUE THAT NEEDS TO BE DISCUSSED/REVIEWED! Usually, there are totally oblivious to the issue.

At some point - because of a stoppage of play - these geniuses eventually become aware that there is SOMETHING going on. That’s when the real fun begins, because the talking heads feel the need to interject all sorts of theories as to why play has stopped. I guess they are afraid that waiting until someone tells them (instead of floating idiotic/unrelated theories) will expose them for the uniformed dolts they are. Some of these guys will go into intricate detail (although, totally incorrect!) about what they “saw”. Many times, of course, no one - announcers or officials - see anything at all, and play just continues without comment.

There was a play very similar to the Meeks play this past football season - I no longer remember which teams were playing. But it involved a fumble recovery near the sidelines. The announcers spent the entirety of the replay break focusing on who had recovered the ball, totally ignoring the obvious fact that one of the guys grappling for the ball had part of his body out of bounds - which meant it was the other team’s ball. None of them ever brought up that angle, and then they acted like they knew it all along when the ref announced the obvious outcome.

At times like this, I wonder to myself . . . “I wonder what this guy (TV talent) is getting paid for this game? Maybe $10-20K? Why don’t they sack this Bozo and pay me a third of that to sit to the side and make their chiclet teeth guys look smart by letting them know what is going on?” FWIW, I DO get that doing play-by-play or commentary on a live sporting even is much more difficult than most of us realize, with all that is going on and people talking into their ear all the time, etc. But someone has to be watching the action and keeping track of what is going on. And, with all the replays, and High Def pictures, there really is no excuse for this kind of incompetence.

Aloha Wiz,

Agree 100% on your 20 years of hell! I too wonder why the announcers hardly ever state or go into detail about a bad call or bad officiating. They just ignore it. Don’t know if that is an agreement between the NCAA and the television companies, company policy, producer’s policy or just bad commentary. I have often thought what I would say if I was in there shoes. I think Charles Barkley’s style of holding nothing back endears him to a lot of his fans.