Facilities Question.

We always seem to hear about how surprised out of state recruits are with the facilities once they get on campus. Was Morris surprised too?

JCS

Great question. Been seeing some ESPN personnel talking about how much better the facilities at aTm, AUB, and several other places are compared to AR.

In MOST (not all, but most) cases, those are assumptive takes from talking heads who have not been to or seen in person what ALL of those schools have. In particular, most of them have not been in Fayetteville in 20 years, if ever.

That said, probably the “weakest link” in our cavalcade of spectacular facilities - relatively speaking - is our Football stadium . . simply because at about 76K (after improvements), it’s 10-15K under the average for all 14 schools. However, it is nicer in many ways than a lot of the bigger stadiums (Tennessee and LSU come to mind; not sure about Florida). Alabama, Auburn, Georgia and (I assume) A&M probably are better all the way around (I have not been to a game in College station in 25 years, so I’m assuming the massive remodeling they did a few years ago greatly improved it - and it was nice when I was there).

But when you add in the covered practice facility, the massive weight room, the new Football Operations Building and the new Jones Academic Center, the AGGREGATE football facilities are right up there with just about anyone (again, once the NEZ project is done, with new game day dressing rooms and offices for the Athletic Dept).

And, of course, when you include Basketball, Baseball, Track (Indoor and Outdoor), Golf (the Blessings), Softball and the Bev Lewis Center - we take a back seat to no one, all things considered (IMO).

Oh, don’t get me wrong, I have seen enough recruits speak about our facilities compared to those other schools. I have no doubt that those talking heads have never seen our facilities. However, they are saying it based off assumptions. I would love to hear what Morris said about them.

From what I have read on the SMU message boards, their lack of an Indoor Facility has been a point of frustration for coaches and fans for some time. I don’t know how we compare to Clemson, but I am sure he will revel in what he has now compared to SMU.

I’m curious when the last time was you went to LSU’s football stadium. I agree that Arkansas’ stadium is nicer than Tennessee, but LSU has put a lot of money into its stadium the last 10 years. I think it was one of the most modern and best in the conference now. The only ones that I think are comparable are at Texas A&M and Alabama.

Most of the big SEC stadiums look old once you’re inside. Some look old on the outside, too. Auburn and Georgia are a couple that come to mind.

Matt, have you toured A&M’s stadium since the renovation? Looking at videos of the outside, it seems very impressive with its outside walls, corner patios, and massive number of seats. I am just wondering if it is equally impressive inside?

Nothing other than virtual tours. The stadium renovation included new seats, suites, concourses, bathrooms, concession stands, etc.

[quote=“MattJones”]

I’m curious when the last time was you went to LSU’s football stadium. I agree that Arkansas’ stadium is nicer than Tennessee, but LSU has put a lot of money into its stadium the last 10 years. I think it was one of the most modern and best in the conference now. The only ones that I think are comparable are at Texas A&M and Alabama.

Most of the big SEC stadiums look old once you’re inside. Some look old on the outside, too. Auburn and Georgia are a couple that come to mind.
[/quote]It’s been about 15 years (during the Matt Jones era). Perhaps they have upgraded it (I was of the opinion that Louisiana was in a bad situation with state revenue and that upgrades had been put on hold for that reason, but I was apparently mistaken). But I am speaking to the feeling sitting inside the stadium, not the luxury suites or concourses. It just felt old and kind of rickety; big - but not as impressive as I’d anticipated. Tennessee, you have to have a shoe horn to get into your seats - they cram them in so that you’re VERY cozy with your neighbors on either side (which is good if you’ve got a hot date . . . not so good if you’re sitting next to Lulu and Junior - see below).

I haven’t seen or heard anything the national people have said about Arkansas’ facilities. I can just go by what so many have told me.

A parent of a kid not committed to Arkansas said the Hogs were up there with the best. I hear from some that Bama and A&M have the best.

Another parent who has visited numerous schools said Arkansas was in the top three of what they’ve seen.

Another said Arkansas was better than Texas, TCU, UCLA, Stanford and others. He said the only thing that Texas was outstanding at was the locker room.

Seeing statements from recruits that have been posted on here, seems like aTm, Bama, Oregon, and AR are always mentioned in the same breath. I know Jimmy was in Oregon last week, did he see their facilities?

Don’t know about Jimmy, but a few years ago while at The Opening, I was able to go with a high school coach and get total access to Oregon’s facilities. They’re definitely up there with the best. Phil Knight has his own locker in the locker room. We were able to see their recruiting room and Knight has a spot at the table. Arkansas’ weight room is probably a little more impressive.

Oregon’s media room is off the charts. They have a parking deck under the facility.

The Swamp and Sanford in Athens are big and loud but not modern at all.

assume the new sections (suites) have nice facilities. The lower concourse(s) have old concessions and bathrooms.

We need a good video of our facilities and drone aerial footage as well. There are way too many kids that won’t consider even looking at us because they believe the negative recruiting against us. It is sad how marginal our image marketing is on the website.

[quote=“Bayouhog”]
assume the new sections (suites) have nice facilities.[b:2jejaqzc][i:2jejaqzc][color=#BF0000:2jejaqzc] The lower concourse(s) have old concessions and bathrooms.[/color:2jejaqzc][/i:2jejaqzc][/b:2jejaqzc][/quote:2jejaqzc]This is consistent with my recollection . . . kind of like a bigger WMS.