Expectations for poor, good, and really good season.....................

…and, of course, this is just one fan’s opinion:

1. Poor season would be losing to Colorado State, beating the rest of the “rent-a-wins” but only beating Ole Miss during the rest of the year. That would be 4-8, same as last year, and would be a rocky start for the new staff.
  2. Good season would be winning all of the non-conference games and winning two of the SEC games, probably Ole Miss and Vanderbilt. That would put us at 6-6, probably tied for fourth in the West and going to a bowl and would be a good start with program definitely headed in the right direction.
  3. Really good season would be winning all of the non-conference games, beating Ole Miss and Vandy, and then winning the last two games of the year against MissState and Missouri. 8-4 and going to a good bowl, probably tied for third in the West. Fantastic start for CCM.
  4. Great season would be upsetting A&M and then do the rest of the really good season scenario. How huge would it be for A&M grad Morris and former A&M DC Chavis to stop our losing streak against the Aggies?

:sunglasses:

I agree with all of this except I believe LSU at home is a better opportunity for win than either Missouri or Miss St.

I fully expect this to be Orgeron’s last year in Baton Rouge.

I don’t see us winning any SEC game. I think the Colorado St game is a toss up.

Turn things around, even if it’s the slightest of turns and if would be a really good season. We have all heard the saying, “things will get worse before it gets better”, if he can get things going without having that season where things get worse it will give us “hope” for the future. I think he has give us his all so far and we have to give him time and bite our tongue, both of those tend to be hard to do in rough stretches of a season and there will be rough stretches. Poor to me would be not seeing improvement, Good would be seeing improvement on both sides of the ball in all aspects, Really good; pushing some of the good teams and making it a challenge for the other team to win ! Wins would be great but before we earn wins we have to earn some respect. I know these are low expectations but Rome wasn’t built in a night and niether will this team be, patinence will be a virtue. WPS

[quote=“LongTimeHog”]

I don’t see us winning any SEC game. I think the Colorado St game is a toss up.

[/quote]good chance of beating vandy and ole miss

It will be a poor season if the O-Line doesn’t show improvement and we don’t have a QB that steps forward with the new offense. When I say poor, i mean 3-9 to 5-7.
A good season would mean the QB does emerge and O-Line progresses and we end up 6-6 to 7-5.
A real good season would be we end up at least 8-4 which means we win all of the non-conference games and beat Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Missouri and then pick off either A&M, LSU or Miss St.
I believe the defense will be improved this season, but it will need the offense to stay on the field long enough so they don’t get worn down in the 2nd half of games?
Bottom line, their are so many unknowns to think our Hogs will do any better than .500 on the season.

Go Hogs!

Good points, Dfarris. I am hoping for lightening in a bottle
kind of season. 6-6 minimum, with 8-4 if all goes well.

I agree totally very good assessments

My repeat in my words of what you said is simply s nuance

Bad is being totally embarrassed and loosing!

Winning is being competive and the team that beats you openly confess they paid for the victory - they do t want a rematch

Good is 6 wins and a bowl win

Great is over 6 wins and a bowl win

Good is seeing a team that doesn’t fold in the fourth quarter either winning or losing and has an attitude while playing the game that borders on nasty. Great is seeing the offense progress in the new system in every game and a real feeling with the team and fans the corner is turned and the learning curve shows results. Great is a defense that actually stops the other team several times a game and puts us in a position to win. Bad is getting hammered 30 plus points by the blue bloods and the team/fans see it coming in the first quarter.

I don’t think I have enough information yet to know. What we saw in the spring isn’t what this team will be in the fall. It all hinges on QB. I do think the Hogs will beat Colorado State and win the other nonconference. I think Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Vandy and LSU are beatable. I didn’t say Arkansas should beat them, but only that they could.

We were beaten badly several times last year, like a rented mule. A good year to me would be to show competitiveness in every game a win a couple of the close ones

The expectations never change. The bar of expectation isn’t a knuckleball. For me the season will be viewed as a whole body of work upon completion. How close we are to the bar or how far we are from it will determine a lot. Plus the intangible of directional appearance. Which way are we going if we don’t reach the bar.

I don’t want to make any expectations until the last week or so before the opening game. It all comes down to the QB for me to establish expectations.

Yep - I agree with the old saying if you don’t have a QB then you don’t have anything.

[quote=“JacksonReid”]

Yep - I agree with the old saying if you don’t have a QB then you don’t have anything.

[/quote]w

After CK ran the Steamboat, he was the most popular player on the team. Now, all of a sudden he’s forgotten everything about being a QB and shouldn’t be in Fayetteville. Some people…(not specifically directed toward you Jackson)

[quote=“HogQ”]

Cole is going to be ok on planned runs, but I am very concerned about his lack of quickness to side step a rush. He is especially weak at running away from the rush. Hiatt and Aune may be the only 2 capable of out running the rush.

[quote=“HogQ”]

The steamboat package was a nice change of pace, but I was never impressed with Kelly as a QB.A statue in the pocket with accuracy issues.

This upcoming team has enough talent to win 6 or 7 games but the million dollar question is can they put it all together to make it happen. Generally speaking your teams tend to get better as the season goes (although that rarely happened with last staff) on provided you don’t have any major injuries to key players. Your younger players tend to start playing better. Also, with our complicated new offense as the season goes on one would think the playbook starts to open up a little more as well as they continue to pick more and more up. Deep inside I just feel this staff is a couple of wins better than the last one would have been. I am going with 6 and possibly 7!

interested big time which is the way the AD needs it to be. Things do seem to be breaking the way of Coach Morris. Baseball dominates the headlines and focus, Colo State is hurt and not the recent strong or vintage teams that have been turned out of Ft Collins. Reminds me of Jim Mora reminding those reporting that they just don’t know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHipzGL4dwM

we are at the shoulda, coulda, woulda stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKhyj5Szmks

It does not feel like a good year much less a great year headed in. Good would be at least 6-6 and playing a whole game without giving up the ghost. Who leads us out of the recent quagmire? Coach or players? Our QB crop is less than that of LsU who is too tall a measuring stick for us right now. I like the MSU returners and new coach. I dont believe in Mz even though they are better newcomers to SEC football than us. Anything less than 2 wins in SEC is poor to me.

[quote=“rayzabackerII”]

interested big time which is the way the AD needs it to be. Things do seem to be breaking the way of Coach Morris. Baseball dominates the headlines and focus, Colo State is hurt and not the recent strong or vintage teams that have been turned out of Ft Collins. Reminds me of Jim Mora reminding those reporting that they just don’t know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHipzGL4dwM

we are at the shoulda, coulda, woulda stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKhyj5Szmks

It does not feel like a good year much less a great year headed in. Good would be at least 6-6 and playing a whole game without giving up the ghost. Who leads us out of the recent quagmire? Coach or players? Our QB crop is less than that of LsU who is too tall a measuring stick for us right now. I like the MSU returners and new coach. I dont believe in Mz even though they are better newcomers to SEC football than us. Anything less than 2 wins in SEC is poor to me.

We won’t know until we take the field next fall. Hopefully the first 4 games is enough to get the bugs worked out on both offense & defense without any major injuries.
Let’s just hope “all” the players are 100% bought in, and if not CCM has the will to replace the ones who aren’t even if it means giving way to talent & experience. Play the ones that are hungry & eager to learn.