Expect to see Cole and the 'Steamboat' package moving forward

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017 … here-stay/”>http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/sep/25/steamboat-here-stay/</LINK_TEXT>

How long until we see " Riverboat Gambler" added to the tag?

It was about time to change the red zone and they did. This is the most improved part to this game. Wonder why it took so long beating thier heads against the wall to open it up.

Maybe this will encourage them to step out with more boldness with different packages of attack on both sides of the ball !! WPS

The Steamboat wont be a secret any more.
So look for the Space Shuttle next, instead of running & plunging ahead - Kelly slings it 60-70 yards to Jordan Jones running at Mach 1 speed.

Jones fails to complete deep routes you need to hit him with the ball quick and let him turn the jets on.

Kelley needs to get a lot of snaps before next year. Is this year over? Very likely

While I agree that Cole needs to get experience and will have his package of plays expanded, it would not be fair to the seniors on this team to just throw in the towel after the third game of the season.

They have been in this spot before and have figured things out before. They deserve a chance to try and do it again.

Because it is their team.

I completely do not understand this point of view, that we should give up on the last three-fourths of this season to get ready for next year. You may not be suggesting that we bench AA and start the Steamboat, but there are those who think so.

[quote=“SwineFusion”]

I completely do not understand this point of view, that we should give up on the last three-fourths of this season to get ready for next year. You may not be suggesting that we bench AA and start the Steamboat, but there are those who think so.
[/quote] you’re right: I’m not suggesting he replace AA. I’m also not saying we should give up on the rest of the season but, if you’re honest, you’ll admit our goal now should not be a big bowl but any bowl. Using Kelley more( up to a third of the snaps) gives us a needed run option at the QB position behind a patchwork ineffective O line that cannot protect the QB. That keeps AA from getting hit on every frigging passing down. If we persist in playing him 95% of downs he won’t last the season. Then we’ll have to throw Kelley/ Story into the fray. That would be disaster. And yes, I think it’s valuable to have a QB with MEANINGFUL SEC experience starting next year

[quote=“fatback”]

I think you’ll see CK getting reps in the Steamboat package for the rest of the year. Beyond that, maybe, maybe not, unless the O-line shortcomings put AA on the DL. But if we get into November and we’re 3-5 or 2-6, yeah CK may start getting a lot more snaps in our full offense. However, just because CK is a big boy does not make him immune to getting hurt if he has to play a lot and the line doesn’t get its act together.

BB has talked frequently about 1-0, winning today. That’s what the rest of the season has to be. Beat NMSU. Beat the Chickens. Try to survive Alabama. I think Auburn is seriously beatable and LSU somewhat beatable. OM. Coastal. Misery. Maybe we can find five wins out of that and get to that bowl.

The way I would do it would be to gradually expand Kelley’s role in the short yardage package. I’m talking about more use of the passing game. As that happens, maybe you give him a series or two. That’s what I believe will happen. If he doesn’t handle it well, then you can do less, not more. As long as he’s progressing, then it’s OK to give him a little more.

One of the issues right now is that the receivers are just getting the right mesh with Austin. They are new to each other. I don’t think making a lot of changes at QB in the base offense is exactly the best way to go. But I do think you can add to the short yardage package with Cole.

I think you worry about splitting the practice time too much between QBs and WRs. That’s always a tough spot in season because you are working against a new defense every week and the ones need as many reps against the scout looks as possible.

[quote=“ClayHenry”]
The way I would do it would be to gradually expand Kelley’s role in the short yardage package. I’m talking about more use of the passing game. As that happens, maybe you give him a series or two. That’s what I believe will happen. If he doesn’t handle it well, then you can do less, not more. As long as he’s progressing, then it’s OK to give him a little more.

One of the issues right now is that the receivers are just getting the right mesh with Austin. They are new to each other. I don’t think making a lot of changes at QB in the base offense is exactly the best way to go. But I do think you can add to the short yardage package with Cole.

I think you worry about splitting the practice time too much between QBs and WRs. That’s always a tough spot in season because you are working against a new defense every week and the ones need as many reps against the scout looks as possible.
[/quote]All of this, and then “sprinkle” in a little H2-O (pun intended), and we’re going to have a pretty diverse and productive offense going down the stretch in the second half of the season. That is - IF we can avoid any crippling injuries (especially in the OL).

[quote=“WizardofhOgZ”]

[quote=“ClayHenry”]

[/quote]All of this, and then “sprinkle” in a little H2-O (pun intended), and we’re going to have a pretty diverse and productive offense going down the stretch in the second half of the season. That is - IF we can avoid any crippling more injuries (especially in the OL).
[/quote] FIFY