Exciting offense but how the defense?

Aloha,

Great to hear about the offense…reminds me of CBP and FTS (Feed the Studs) and CBB pro style offense when they first came aboard. However, personally, I am concerned about two things…dominating linemen (OL and DL) and a mean, nasty defense. I prefer a Big 12 offense, SEC defense and NFL kicking game.

Is there anything in CM background/ history to give us hope about the future of UA’s defense and kicking game?

GHG!

No worries. Coach Morris is going to hire the best DC in the country.

There is actually a couple very, very good DC’s that would be cheaper than the one most think. But we will see. Been looking a lot at DC’s.

Based on his comments at the press conference today, it won’t be Venables. It seems that there is a lot of mutual respect between Swinney and Morris. I don’t think Morris is going to try to raid Swinney’s staff. He said that he has a short list, which makes me wonder why he said that he is going to hire the best DC in the country. Is he just going to claim whomever he hires is the best DC in the country?

I’m not sure everyone in the world would agree that BV is the best DC in the country. So, I do think it’s debatable on who the best DC is. And, I don’t think he eliminated BV in his presser. He said, DS “wouldn’t really like that”. But, let’s just wait a few a days and see who he hires and debate whether he’s the best. Bama has an opening now that will need to be filled.

I think for anyone to be labeled the best coordinator is debatable. When he said that he was going to hire the best DC in the country, that would lead one to assume he has a specific person in mind and labeling him as such isn’t the worst idea for a number of reasons, provided the person to whom he is referring is someone everyone can at least agree is a great DC. I don’t know why he would say that if he doesn’t have a specific person in mind that he feels confident in hiring.

I haven’t gone back to rewatch his response about Venables, but when I watched it live I came away thinking he wasn’t sure how to answer the question. I certainly didn’t think he responded in a way that suggested he wouldn’t dare try to do that. Quite the opposite.

I said this in another thread, but I’ll say it again, watch the press conference again, especially that part. He may say something, but it may not be what you think. Watch his expressions at that point and during the rest of the Q&A. He has a different demeanor

I said this in another thread, but I’ll say it again, watch the press conference again, especially that part. He may say something, but it may not be what you think. Watch his expressions at that point and during the rest of the Q&A. He has a different demeanor[/quote

Venables would obviously be a great coup, just don’t see it. There are a number of people that would qualify as a great DC. I just hope he can hire someone that has a track record of running great defenses and we all can come away feeling good about the future possibilities on that side of the ball.

Oh, I don’t disagree about the multiple DC’s out there, heck, Washington has a Top 10 Defense in every category except pass and they are Top 20 in it. Their DC only makes $600,000. A lot cheaper than BV, also look at UTSA, Fresno St, both DC’s have Top 10 D’s.

Appearances are that money is not going to keep CCM from hiring a tp notch DC. One that excites recruits.

It very well could have been coach speak, but he may have gotten caught up in the moment and called the person he has in mind the best in the country. I won’t hold him to that, but I do expect him to hire a very good coordinator and will give him great brownie points if he comes away with BV or someone of that nature.

I would not be a bit surprised if money to pay his assistants was a significant part of his contract. As a leader, you are only as good as the staff that supports you.