Emmit Gooden update...

Caught up with him to see if he had signed anywhere. He has not.

Emmit did say he got a call from the Arkansas coaches before the dead period started and they noted they still had interest in him

As a junior college prospect, he has until Jan. 15 to sign with someone.

Emmit has taken trips to Arizona State and Memphis lately and says he is continuing to look at both Pac 12 and SEC schools.

The word is that he lacks the courses necessary to be eligible at an SEC school.

So there’s that. We’ll see.

I’m always curious about a statement like this. You were talking directly to him and he did not specifically mention that he lacked courses for the SEC? I’m sure you asked him directly about his courses. How did he respond?

My sources obviously tell me he doesn’t have what he needs to be eligible to be at and SEC school.

He tells me he is good to go in Jan.

I believe the former more than I do the latter.

The fact that he has visited any more SEC schools gives some credence to that.

The eligibility issue is the same for the SEC or PAC 12. I believe this to be correct. There’s no separate standard from one conference to another.
If Emmit Gooden doesn’t meet the standard he won’t be cleared by the NCAA!
I wish the young man well and had hopes of him being a hog!

I disagree Army, there is different standards. A few years ago, we had a JUCO recruit that had committed that couldn’t come because of an online math class. At that time I was still In the Army and knew I was getting out, so I was working on my degree for the civilian life. I took the EXACT class this kid took, and members of the OU and Texas football teams were in the class (it was a school called CTC, you should have heard of it). I recognized the names on the class roster and we had to do an introduction to the rest of the class, and they were actually the players.

Now, I’ve since got my Masters and am currently working on my Doctorate at Missery, they’ve never once told me I need to retake that class. I’ve also never asked, but it is interesting

Yes, there is. There are two courses - a math one and a science one - that the SEC requires above the normal NCAA requirements.

It all goes back to Mississippi State basketball player Dontae Jones - who once got 36 hours in a summer.

Well I put that blame on the old staff. They could have looked at transcripts and had him take both courses.

Maybe he took them but didn’t get a transferable grade??

There’s a lot of things for which you can blame the old staff, but for a young man not to prepare himself at a juco for the SEC isn’t one of them. He was not their first juco player and all the others got themselves ready for the SEC (whether they could play or not), so that would suggest they had informed him of what needed to be done. He apparently didn’t get it done.

That Dontae Jones had a voracious appetite for learning. His academic acrobatics from that long ago summer may never again be equaled. Commissioner Sankey really should look into starting an award in his honor. The Dontae Jones award for most hours passed in a single semester. Maybe our own Baz could design the trophy.

[quote=“eaglehog5”]

That Dontae Jones had a voracious appetite for learning. His academic acrobatics from that long ago summer may never again be equaled. Commissioner Sankey really should look into starting an award in his honor. The Dontae Jones award for most hours passed in a single semester. Maybe our own Baz could design the trophy.

[/quote]That trophy could be in the shape of the state of Mississippi.