Elite players skipping bowls

…is ruining the bowl games. NOT the playoff.
I don’t know the solution…unless there is some sort of agreement in scholarships to players that articulates they must stay through the bowl. But this is nuts.

I they don’t get this sorted the bowls WILL die away eventually…who wants to watch a bowl with the best players sitting out?

It seems to me that bowl games (except the playoffs) are not of huge interest except to ESPN. I’ve been shocked at the empty stadiums in the games I’ve watched. Last night a couple of ESPN commentators predicted that the number of kids sitting out would only continue to climb. Next year they said probably 40 would sit out bowl games.

Money rules today. And players don’t want to risk injuries. Welcome to 2019.

I understand the risk of injury, but what about the risk in the 12th game of the season or the 11th? If your team is already locked out of the bowl season or the conference title and there’s nothing to play for, what about the sixth game of the season? I know that’s a little hyperbole, but I liked what they said of Devin White; he could have skipped the bowl game like Gready did, but wanted to play because he loves his teammates. He’s a likely top-5 pick, had a lot to lose but made his choice. I wish he’d been a Hog, but he had a marvelous career at LSU.

I think as long as you are still technically on scholarship & have not graduated yet (early). You should be obligated to play thru the last game (Bowl game or otherwise).

I’d say pull their scholarships but most of them have finished the semester and most likely would not go back anyway. If they wanted to finish school they surely could get a big loan with their draft status.

I doubt any of us have been in their shoes. That is life-changing money that many of them are staring down. I can’t fault them for protecting their interests.

Everyone points to Jaylon Smith’s injury in the bowl game and how he has bounced back and succeeded with the Cowboys. He’ll get a big paycheck in a year or two, but that first paycheck he missed will never be replaced.

Correct, I think I heard yesterday when they were talking about this that he had a insurance policy which paid aprox 700,000 but being dropped draft spots cost him millions

The Northwestern QB, who already had one knee injury, got a big scare in their bowl game the other night.

I don’t blame guys who are going into the draft a bit for skipping bowl games that have no bearing on crowning a national champion. The also-ran bowl system is great for teams to develop underclassmen, sometimes gives the team/fans a nice trip, and gives ESPN a lot of programming.

For the guys who are probable high draft choices, those bowls have a lot of downside (injury risk, getting healthy after season, delay hiring agent/advance money, delay in starting combine workout schedule) versus the good things about playing in the game. For these elite level guys, they are turning pro long before the draft-they are getting advances from their agent, and in some cases maybe some endorsement money while they train. In a very real sense for those players its the equivalent of quitting school to start a job.

It’s a very personal decision, and some of these guys are taking an awful financial risk to play in these bowl games.

It won’t be long before we see the playoffs & NC games minus the best players eligible for the draft then. Especially if the play off system is expanded to 8 or more teams.
As soon as some top draft eligible players get hurt in the playoffs & they see players who skipped the secondary bowl games move up ahead of them in the draft. Also less time to train & prepare for combines & pro days compared to guys who skipped bowl games.
Money will supersede any college/coach loyalty & the prestige of a NC.

Sports agents are the best hypnotists where $ is involved, because it affects their bottom line as well.

Whether we “blame the kids” for skipping bowls or not, I repeat…if something is not done to alter the trend this will kill the bowls. Bowls will become “developmental games” for the following season, with draft eligible players skipping. This will happen IMO. The door has been cracked and its about to be flung wide open.

I don’t understand why its expected that a kid stay and play the last regular season game (which are meaningless as often as they are meaningful), but its ok to skip the bowl game.

And I remind folks that disagree with my perspective, I deal with talented college kids with huge egos every day. But, kids will do what they are obligated to do. If they are obligated to play the bowls, they will. But if it becomes the “in” thing for elite players to skip…well…say goodbye bowls. Hello developmental games. Except playoff games of course.

[quote=“Hogmaestro”]

Whether we “blame the kids” for skipping bowls or not, I repeat…if something is not done to alter the trend this will kill the bowls. Bowls will become “developmental games” for the following season, with draft eligible players skipping. This will happen IMO. The door has been cracked and its about to be flung wide open.

I don’t understand why its expected that a kid stay and play the last regular season game (which are meaningless as often as they are meaningful), but its ok to skip the bowl game.

And I remind folks that disagree with my perspective, I deal with talented college kids with huge egos every day. But, kids will do what they are obligated to do. If they are obligated to play the bowls, they will. But if it becomes the “in” thing for elite players to skip…well…say goodbye bowls. Hello developmental games. Except playoff games of course.

[/quote]I’m not so sure the playoff games will be exempted. If the players feel they are at a disadvantage playing in the playoffs, they may begin to skip them, too.

“Money will supersede any college/coach loyalty & the prestige of a NC” just as head coaching money has superseded loyalty to players in many programs. The erosion of college football as the erosion in Washington politics has everything to do with the desire for individual gain and nothing to do with what’s best for a program or our country. I’m not lumping all players or politicians together which would be unfair to some really good people but as a whole we have problems.With out college football there is no NFL unless they have a developmental league which at this time is college football, Change is coming where the superstar players will probably not play in NC games which will further enhance Alabama’s chance of becoming more dominant than now due to depth of talent. They could have their starting QB decide to sit out and could very well win another NC this year and would probably be the only team that could pull that off right now. Having said all that it’s great to see Agim coming back ! WPS

Yesterday I had this discussion with a group of buddies. The consensus was that the typical HC could not demand loyalty because they come and go for big $$. And for sure now it’s all about the money. Just the way things have progressed.

They could always make the bowl game the first game of the next season.

Then most of those sitting out would be in the NFL and the team makeups would be totally reshaped. I don’t know what is worse, sitting out as a player or playing with the intent of avoiding an injury. The good news is the blue bloods typically have more players to lose than us mortals.

People, come on. One or two players on a few teams skipping a bowl game is not going to destroy the bowl system. It’s doing a good job of destroying itself because there are too many of them pitting mediocre teams. It’s no different than if the same key players missed the game because they twisted a knee in the last regular season game. And there are not players skipping en masse in any event.

The worst thing that ever happened to college football was the invention of television.

Colleges and the NCAA are making huge dollars out of the major bowls and the 3 championship games. Let them pay for the insurance policies to cover the first NFL contract for those players expected to go in the 1st round of the draft. Have the NCAA ($billion organization) split the bill with the colleges.

I heard this argument on ESPN last week. The issue with this scenario is top end insurance for players pays $700,000 compared to the millions a first round pick receives in guaranteed money. Still a gamble to risk injury.

Aside from extra practice time and the swag that the players get, the bowls are meaningless.