Early confusion about defense

I’ve read many different stories about spring practice, and I’ve seen different reporters place a wide variety of different players at various positions in Arkansas’s front seven.

One story in the Demozette said Randy Ramsey and Michael Taylor were playing the same position, the Hog OLB. All the other stories said Ramsey was at Razor and Taylor was at Hog.

Similar confusion about who is playing defensive end. Any clarification on position assignments would be appreciated.

Bielema had mentioned that Mike Taylor and Randy Ramsey would play the same spot. But when they went on the field, it did not appear to be the case. But in individual drills that are not team oriented, sometimes it’s difficult to tell. Players said they are playing opposite sides. I didn’t see enough to be sure. Remember, the early part of practice is not team oriented, but just individual work. They would be together in that, rolling through a line.

Bielema had mentioned that Mike Taylor and Randy Ramsey would play the same spot. But when they went on the field, it did not appear to be the case. But in individual drills that are not team oriented, sometimes it’s difficult to tell. Players said they are playing opposite sides. I didn’t see enough to be sure. Remember, the early part of practice is not team oriented, but just individual work. They would be together in that, rolling through a line. Originally, Bielema said Taylor, Ramsey and Karl Roesler would play that heavy outside linebacker spot. Roesler is now working in the front three as a defensive end. He could get some work at the heavy end/OLB spot, according to several players.

To be honest, there will be some cross training because there are some packages that won’t be base 3-4 and require that some of the same type of players be on the field together. There may be times they align in what looks like the same 4-3 as last year, based on offensive personnel.

Randy Ramsey is playing the strong side or the outside linebacker spot that would normally be the SAM. It’s a position that is close to what he played last year. In fact, Paul Rhoads said today that the position is very much akin to what he was playing when he was the SAM starter to end the year. So he is playing a different position than Mike Taylor, the heavy D-end in the two-point stance. Alex Jean-Baptiste is playing behind Taylor.