Dumbest 4th down call...

It has become pervasive on the board. JacksonReid and several others including this guy do it quite a bit. Real tough guys.

I was in agreement to go for it, but not that play. That’s a 50/50 play at best.

The problem, worse call, was the 3 rd down call with Nance in the Wildcat. Why not run the ball two times to pick up those three yards??

My only problem was having Pettway in the game. Not hating on him but his at best our 5th best receiver.

Give Martin that shot.

Bret quit after State scored the go ahead TD. We had 13 seconds on the clock and TO’s left and the lateral BS was inept at best.

These players deserve more IMO

Northeast, well said. You wrote what most on this board
feel. I wonder if it is merely a reflection of pathetic
immaturity or actually indicative of a deeper issue.

There are folks on this board that I would not knowingly
and voluntarily sit down at a table with. Boorish is the
word that comes to mind.

It wasn’t just the fourth down call. It was the entire last series. Very good field position with a little over 3 1/2 minutes remaining. We use 20 - 25 seconds of clock, burn a timeout because we are out of control, and turn the ball over on downs. Horrible play calling and even worse clock management. Bielema simply must go. The sooner, the better. What a disaster this season has been.

I’m nowhere near qualified to be an AD and it’s a good thing. I was watching with my Dad today and I told him if I were the AD and down on the sideline I probably would have sent CBB to the shower at that point. It was a terrible decision to go for it with a the time and field position. Pin them back and make them go 80 yards It’s the high percentage play. I’m a really crappy golfer because I seldom want the high percentage play - I grab my driver too often. I think I can cut the corner. That’s what going for it then was. Pin them back. Play the clock. Put the pressure on them. You’re at home so go for overtime. I understand we have a lot of injuries but terrible decision. I understand there’s only 1 game left but CBB is NOT putting our players in the best chance to win. Period.

The play call was even worse. Low percentage play with an unproven player. Give us a play with a check down. Give AA an option. Yes, I understand the receiver gave up on the route but play the percentages. A check down play to Austin Cantrell would have been good.

Dump the ball off to Williams. Anything but a deep ball that AA has been unable to complete. The 3rd down play set that one up. Wasn’t that a good play to put a fork on your own rear end. Enos has turned out to be a joke calling plays. CBB and Enos are good guys but not good coaches.
Pay the man to leave and send him packing.

Nominated for Post of the Year.

NEA proving once again why he’s probably the best poster on this board.

I approve of the decision. I disagree with the play called.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12167#p86585

Totally agree with decision to go for it. Have no problem with us playing to win. I thought the call was fine too. We did those plays several times earlier in Beliema’s tenure here and they worked. If that one works we put ourselves in a position to win.

What no one is mentioning is that even if we punted there and stopped them in regulaton, our prize would have been overtime… and the way things were trending in this game and based on our OT history with BB… I’ll take my chances with a 4th and 3 and try for the win.

Don’t remember hearing too many people bitching when we went 2 in OT against ole miss and won it… but if that had failed the exact same arguments would have been made.

And as an aside… Enos doesn’t suddenly suck as a playcaller. NOBODY could make plays work behind our pathetic OL -probably the worst I’ve ever seen at AR. Austin Allen doesn’t suck, our backs don’t suck and Enos doesn’t suck. Our OL SUCKS, has since the beginning of the year (so no “injuries” excuse) and that is one of the biggest reasons why this season has fallen apart. Apparently “doing it the right way” doesn’t involve building a solid OL.

I have no problem going for it from a staff point of view, they all know without winning the last two games there is virtually no chance of being retained. Since they decided earlier in the week that “going for it on fourth down” was in the cards, then the play design should have matched up better with the circumstances if good coaching was involved. They didn’t need to go long and increase the percentage of failure, but should have given AA a couple options on shorter pass routes. A first down runs the clock forcing MS time outs and even if they didn’t get another first down would have a much better chance of winning. Planning a play days in advance sure didn’t seem very well thought out which sadly isn’t shocking.

[quote=“Hogsrus”]
I have no problem going for it from a staff point of view, they all know without winning the last two games there is virtually no chance of being retained. Since they decided earlier in the week that “going for it on fourth down” was in the cards, then the play design should have matched up better with the circumstances if good coaching was involved. They didn’t need to go long and increase the percentage of failure, but should have given AA a couple options on shorter pass routes. A first down runs the clock forcing MS time outs and even if they didn’t get another first down would have a much better chance of winning. Planning a play days in advance sure didn’t seem very well thought out which sadly isn’t shocking.
[/quote]Exactly.

Again, it wasn’t the decision to go, per se; it was the play called given down, distance, personnel available and game situation.

It was a win-or-lose call. No argument from anyone there. It was going to end the game one way or another. You just decide when and where. When I look at that play, I have to put everything together. You were gifted 21 points. You don’t have the line to execute back-to-back plays in the running game to get two yards. Remember it was third-and-2. They ran a sweep with Nance on third down. Got nothing, and injured Nance. They couldn’t get it on fourth down, either.

Eventually, you have to decide when you are going to go for two plays to get two yards. The offensive line wasn’t good enough to do it. It probably wouldn’t be good enough in OT, either. So your defense couldn’t stop a fourth-and-2 in the next MSU possession. MSU could make 2 yards on fourth down with the game on the line and Arkansas couldn’t.

I remember another third-and-2 play in the game. Ty Storey came in for a sweep. The line missed a stunt or couldn’t physically contain it. Again, it comes down to the line. I wouldn’t pick Ty Storey to make that play, but that’s another deal altogether.

That’s it in a tight little package.

we have had trouble completing the long pas all year

What about the QB roll out, pass back to the TE, or do you think they would have defended it. Seems to be the only play that always works for us.

I was raised watching Don Shula. He was a coach who rarely took a chance. You always knew what the Dolphins would do in any of those types of situations. I guarantee you he would have kicked on fourth down in that instance every time-100%! There was no reason to do or die there. There was lots of game left and overtime was just a couple of minutes away. There were several bad calls during this game. I like these coaches but these stupid play calls have to end. This is not the first time. When I lived in Illinois on the Wisconsin border the rap on Bielema was his end of the game calls and time management. I see that now.

That’s why I wanted to go for it. I had no confidence we could win in OT. MSU was stronger than we were. We’d been stopped for essentially no gain on the two plays we ran following that weird fumble we recovered at or inside the one yard line. Fortunately, the second “no gain” was enough gain to get us the TD. There was just over three minutes to go in the game. I felt we needed either a TD or to control the clock long enough to get into decent FG range to have a chance. We had to score with very little time left on the clock, especially if we only got a FG. Had we scored a TD immediately, MSU would’ve had time to score again, but they’d have had to do in 3 mins or so.

It’s one thing to talk about punting & playing for OT, but the coaches obviously thought our chances weren’t good if we did that. I agree with them.

I second this a million times over!!!