Dudley question and comment

Our football coach is making changes with his staff based on what happen this year. I see both our football and basketball coaches in similar positions in terms of wins and loses and fans reactions… I personally want them to stay, at the very least, another year. The question is do you think that Coach Anderson will look at his situation and make some big change like Coach B has? If he does think changes need to be made, what would they be?. I am pulling for us to win out in basketball, win the SEC tournament, and go deep in the Big Dance.

I would bet that coach MA will NOT let any of his coachs go…They just sit there on their chairs looking content even when the score is showing the Razorbacks are down 15–20 points …???

I didn’t think he would make changes last year and he did with the move down of Matt Zimmerman - who took a $80,000 pay cut in salary as well as some other bonus opportunities - and the elevation of Scotty Thurman.

So I will no longer say never obviously.

I guess Coach Watkins could be a candidate to retire as he would be entering his 40th year of coaching and Manny is a senior, but I have heard nothing to indicate that.

So my answer would be - possibly, but I don’t know that it is probable still

Mike probably is as loyal as any coach to his staff. TJ Cleveland and Matt Zimmerman have been with him since his first day at UAB, and and Jeff Daniels and Melvin Watkins has been with him since his first day at Missouri. Scotty Thurman has been with him since his first day here.

Serious question. Is that kind of loyalty a good thing in the coaching profession? That is a question not a comment.

Serious answer

Most successful coaches are loyal to those around them, but also make changes as their assistants move up the ranks to head coaching jobs.

Coach Watkins, who was head coach at Charlotte and Texas A&M, is likely at his last stop.

Coach Cleveland has had some interview for other jobs, but has yet to land one

Coach Thurman is new to the game obviously

What is interesting to me is that our assistant football coaches appear, or are rumored to be, coveted by other programs. We are told that this a good and healthy thing and that it means we have smart guys on staff.

Why do we never hear about our assistant basketball coaches rumored to be coveted by other jobs?

Just answered that above.

I have heard from people that Thurman has been the key improvement in our recruiting. Dudley do you feel like they are correct?

I don’t know Dudley’s answer, but the name Watkins keeps popping up with the 17-18 players

No, it was Melvin Watkins putting in the work with the Arkansas Hawks early and Mike Anderson finishing.

To this point, Brachen Hazen is Scotty’s lone recruit, but I am sure there will be plenty more

Simply as a fan to me, a coach that is not winning as he and fans thinks he should and makes big changes to right the ship, buys time with fans. I am not saying what changes need to be made if any. I am not that smart or close enough to the situation or make the big bucks to suggest any. I just hope we win out.

That is good to know because some of our fans are ready to get rid of assistants. smh

[quote=“DudleyDawson”]
I didn’t think he would make changes last year and he did with the move down of Matt Zimmerman - who took a $80,000 pay cut in salary as well as some other bonus opportunities - and the elevation of Scotty Thurman.

Dudley: Was any of that $80,000 made up by being paid for doing color commentary on Arkansas radio broadcasts? I have to think he did not do that for free.