Dudley - CJ Jones

Dudley,

When you wake up tomorrow…,please give us some “reference points” on CJ. Since none of us have seen him as a Hog, who does he remind you of? Former Razorback or any player for that matter. Glad you got to go. Appreciate the reporting.

In no way am I saying he is any where near the player he will become, but his game reminds me of Kobe in terms of his ability to quickly get to a spot, create his own shot and just the smoothness.

Again, not ready to just go nuts yet, but he was so smooth yesterday and looks like an absolute steal.

It appears he’s a natural scorer. If he has a 3-point stroke like some say, he’s going to be a factor sooner or later. I like guys who can shoot.

What ex-Hog does his game remind you of?

Sounds like he may have a little Boot Sr. in him.

With a few more pounds he would be similar in size to Huery and Day. He also seems to have the potential for an all-court game like those two, not to put those kinds of expectations on him yet.

Wow, a combo of Huery and Day would be Amazing.

It’s going to be sooner rather than later, Clay. Remember too my response to your post praising Adrio Bailey’s athleticism by pointing out that Jones belonged in any discussion of athleticism on this team. Finally, in my early post which recorded over 2600 views I remember calling attention to Jones’ exceptional defensive footwork, pointing out that Coach A was urging him to even greater defensive pressure, to which CJ quickly responded.
So here’s a player who, in the first three weeks as a Razorback has already received praise on this board as a scoprer, a 3-point shooter, a rebounder (by Coach A), an athlete, a defender and a player who quickly responds to coaching. It’s going to be great fun to watch this gifted young player grow into all that praise. Stay humble, CJ, and you are going to have a stellar career as a Hog.

I remember either someone had posted this from watching practice or it was a comment from a coach that CJ’s ball handling needed to be improved before he gets significant PT. Was that you that had mentioned that? Regardless, what was your take on his ball handling skills?

It’s not his greatest strength by any means, but I don’t think it will keep him off the court by any means, in view of his many gifts.

CJ has only had 1 TO in 16 minutes so far, which is better than a lot of his teammates.

I remember either someone had posted this from watching practice or it was a comment from a coach that CJ’s ball handling needed to be improved before he gets significant PT. Was that you that had mentioned that? Regardless, what was your take on his ball handling skills?

It’s not his greatest strength by any means, but I don’t think it will keep him off the court by any means, in view of his many gifts.

I believe that comment came from JC during the Hawgs practices, in preparation of the Spain basketball tour.

I’ve heard a lot of people do the Bailey/Qualls comparison. But IMO, from the practice reports you guys have given and from a skillset point of view CJ Jones seems like a better Qualls comparison. 6’5 guard, that’s really athletic, can shoot the ball, but needs to work on his ball handling. That sounds like Michael Qualls to me. Looks like Jones may be a better shooter than Qualls was as a freshman, but let’s not forget Qualls was a 35% 3 point shooter his sophomore year and 33% his junior year.

Bailey on the other hand reminds me more of Alandise Harris, which surprisingly I’ve never heard anyone compare him to. They have about the same build, both of them are primarily 4s, but can play the 3 in a big lineup. Bailey may be a bit more athletic, but Harris was no slouch either, he could jump out of the gym as well. He was more deceptively athletic.

I know that’s a bit off subject, but the talks of Jones ball handling made me think of Qualls and the similarities that him and Jones share.

If Jones can provide points, defense, and boards from the perimeter off the bench, he doesn’t need Chris-Paul-handle to yield quality minutes. He just can’t negate the positive by gushing TOs.

I think CJ is going to be a significant contributor off the bench for Arkansas this year.

Although Coach Anderson is certainly not locked into a starting five yet, he clearly likes Kingsley, Hannahs, Macon, Barford and Thomas as a starting five now.

The only thing CJ needs to do better to me is learn more discretion on his shot. He fired up 12 shots in 15 minutes yesterday. Got to learn to make the extra pass to a teammate that would have even a better look.

CJ’s game kind of reminds of Will Barton for the Denver Nuggets, for those of you who watch a lot of NBA. Both are 6-5/6-6, long and wiry. Both are athletic and above average to good shooters with smooth shots with the ability to get hot.

Last year was Barton’s first in a big-minutes role and he averaged 14.4 points and 5.8 rebounds. Kind of tailed off after the all-star break, but was in the 6th Man of the Year hunt for a while.

I’ve written several times now how about high I am on CJ’s potential just because of his skillset/gifts. I think he has the highest ceiling on the team, but I thought he’d mostly sit this year because of the experience ahead of him and the rawness of some parts of his game. Small sample size, but obviously I was wrong about his role this year if he can carry over his performances back to the states.

It’s interesting that, before I’d ever seen this year’s team, someone who would know told me they thought he had the best NBA upside on the roster but that he might redshirt or barely play with everything ahead of him. I imagine they want to retract the second part of that statement now while fully emphasizing the first.

He has a chance to be special.

I for one am glad that CJ is coming in looking for and firing up shots. That is better than coming in timid. That is one thing I liked about Anthlon Bell and as a freshman. The coach will get him to be more selective as he plays more. It. Is lot easier from the coaching standpoint to do that than the other way. Case in point is Madracus Wade.

Agree

It appears when the lights come on CJ shines the brightest, oh I remember CNR use to say Todd Day practices were okay but when game night roll around Todd would really show out, another formal hawgballer that always played an outstanding game was Scotty.

Dudley and Jimmy,

Is CJ Jones a legit 6’5? I’ve seen somewhere else he was more like 6’3. Just wondering. very excited about his development over the next few years.