DT a major concern for this defense

I love our secondary and we are good enough at LB and DE I think but the glaring weakness is DT where unless Ferrell is a huge surprise I see nobody that is a true SEC DT and capable of stopping teams from running right us and making us use LB stunts to stop it and that is not good.
I see us having to slant and move around some but I just don’t see enough lead in the Pencil for any of them to handle the SEC OL, We are getting there with the Ferrell and Williams type recruits so in time we will be fine but this yr it may be tough to keep teams from running right us. Chavis is a great coach and I’m sure he is aware of this and will do his best to cover it up and hopefully he can because I see us as being very capable everywhere else.

I think they will move Agim around during the game from interior to exterior. Dorian Gerald and Agim should require double teams that provide more 1 on 1 blocking in the interior. We didn’t have that last year especially after some injuries. I think that we have quality depth in the interior, but not high quality like we need. We will use more press coverage instead of the 7-10 yard cushion that we used last year. The QB could get rid of the ball so quick he never had to hold the ball long enough for our rush to get to him.

I think we will surely have to mix and match and move around.I just don’t see the manpower to stand up in the trenches against these SEC OL…I may be wrong and will be glad to be but it looks like the weak link on this defense as it stands now.

Who would be your interior starters?

Not the person you asked, but, ideally, Capps and Guidry. Guidry seems to have too big a frame to not be an interior guy. However, I realize Agim and “_____” give us our best duo inside. People may not believe in this DL group, but I believe in our DL coaches and, more importantly, Chief. We’ll get there.

These guys have played enough but were coached to hold a gap. Will they be better in Chief’s scheme? Chief will tweak the scheme to get the most out of them.
Capps at 301 lbs
Guidry at 304
Marshall at 307
TJ Smith at 306

Wild Cards?
Armon Watts at 311 did not play much but has great size
Deion Malone at 291 - don’t laugh too hard but he looked pretty decent in the spring game. He could be a good part of a 3 deep rotation at the 2 interior spots.

I agree with you on the top four. They have the size needed in my opinion. They have all had some significant snaps in SEC games. Coaching and scheme could make them solid on the interior.

At some point I see Marshall being a very good tackle in the SEC. A bell cow type.

that’s my point there are no difference makers in there no matter who it is.I think Smith and Marshall possibly start unless Ferrell comes in and surprises but we have no bell cows in there right now and I think Teams will try to exploit that.

[quote=“MountainHawg”]

Not the person you asked, but, ideally, Capps and Guidry. Guidry seems to have too big a frame to not be an interior guy. However, I realize Agim and “_____” give us our best duo inside. People may not believe in this DL group, but I believe in our DL coaches and, more importantly, Chief. We’ll get there.

[/quote] i agree with you about the coaching

I agree that DL is my biggest concern on team.

Got to stop the run.

Hopefully we have enough to do it