Dr. Fauci: Not ready for sports to resume

Basically if you can’t guarantee safety for the teams or the fans, you can’t have games, and we’re not at a point where we can test enough to guarantee that safety.

Somebody is going to step up to be the test case. I’m guessing baseball.

You may be right! I’m not sure you can maintain social distancing in baseball either! It would be safer for fans outside. Players still come into close contact with each other! Bull pen, dugout and while batting with a Cather behind the plate! It seems pretty hard to stay 6 feet apart.

Aloha,

A broken record worth playing again…life goes on. Time to put on the big boy pants and get on with life. This is not some horrible plague with a high kill rate. Protect the high risk population and get our rights, freedoms, economy and lifestyle back to normal. Unfortunately people die every day. Abortions, auto accidents, cancer, drownings, illegal drug use, etc…Time to play ball in all aspects of our lives.

2 Likes

Guy, you’ll sing an entirely different tune if your daughter winds up in ICU on a ventilator because Hawaii opened up too soon. You really want to take that chance?

1 Like

Yep, it is like DWI and other such laws. People want tougher laws until their kid has to go before the judge.

1 Like

Aloha Jeff,

Hawaii is ready to be open. The curve has been shattered. However, the Governor and his party are drunk with power and control and have no hair on their balls. The state is suffering with 37% unemployment. The tax base has been wiped out with a deficit of over $1.5B. Tourism is dead with no return to previous numbers in sight. Lives are at risk with a destroyed economy. Hawaii will lose more lives to a depression than the Wuhan Virus.

As for my daughter. Unfortunately too many of us on this board have suffered deep personal loss. Multiple times. At the age of 22 on my first deployment I had six precious Sailors of mine literally die at my feet. Both of my parents passed away by the time I was 30. I love my family as much as anyone. Life is too short and precious as it is. Can’t afford to waste it bottled up in a prison camp.

Safely protect those at the greatest risk and move on.

GHG!

1 Like

That’s just it, Guy. Nobody can predict who will have symptoms and who won’t, who will recover and who won’t. The young have less chance of getting sick, but that chance isn’t zero. You and I are about the same age. I might have no symptoms at all, you might be in ICU within six hours. Or vice versa.

This is not just a flu bug. It destroys body organs. They released the autopsy report the other day from the California woman who is now thought to be the first US fatality. The virus had destroyed her heart muscle until the heart ruptured. Sometimes it gets the lungs or the kidneys or the liver. Or multiple systems. Flu bugs don’t do that.

What social distancing has done is kept the exposure/infection rate down enough that our health care system could handle it – just barely, in NYC and Detroit, but handle it nonetheless. You lift all the restrictions, you run the risk of completely overwhelming the system, which really doesn’t have any more capacity that it did in January.

2 Likes

People die every day, we’ll not have an economy to come back to if we don’t resume some semblance of life. Take precautions for the elderly and those with underlying health issues, and let those who wish to, carry on with their life’s, Dr. Fauci said in February that we wouldn’t have to change our normal routine, now he sings a different tune. If you don’t wish to participate in sports, or attend one, stay at home, most Razorback fans know how to do that after the last three years. It’s way too early to make a definitive call, one way or the other, but my bet is we have college football for those schools choosing to this fall.

1 Like

What if you want to carry on with your life, but you have an underlying condition? Will you stay in quarantine like you should or will you complain about your liberties being taken away?

Personal choice I think… If you want to go out it’s a choice.

What is also going to be interesting is how and who is given priority for receiving the Covid vaccine once it’s proven safe, effective and available? I would think the usual suspects 1st…older folks over 64 plus those with the high risk conditions like diabetes, asthma, renal failure etc. Plus, this virus is worse on our black brethren for whatever reason…so do they get priority? These are going to be interesting ethical debates until we have plenty of vaccines.

Swine is correct about the impact on a family with a serious infection of a younger loved one. Our 1st death in our area was a 39 year old, and this virus damages cardiac and kidney cells once it slams the lungs. Lots of icu patients here have recovered mostly from the severe pulmonary issues but now are dealing with dialysis and heart failure from damages to other organs.

I’m in the skillet every day and what worries me most are the asymptotic patients that don’t know they are infecting others. I can spot the sick ones and help them with their own health and prevent them spreading it for the most part. With the asymptomatic Infected patients, the disease will have a chance to spread to those most susceptible which will then drive up hospitalization and ventilator use, limiting capacity. Are we manufacturing enough vents to handle a secondary surge, bc I’m worried this is going to happen when we open things up before the vaccines are readily available.

Another issue is the physical and psychological toll a secondary surge will have on healthcare workers. You non medical folks have no idea what kind of background stress we work under each day in dealing with this mess. It’s heartwrenching at times and is exhausting, with all the extra precautions we operate under daily. Our people are plain tired right now, dealing with this for the past 5-6 weeks.

Just my two cents and perspective.

1 Like

This…

I’m SOOOOO disappointed in the “open it up NOW” group. I won’t go into detail, but I’m hurting significantly from the economic impact of this pandemic. I’m NOT one who is comfortable and can sit and watch this thing from my living room while having all of my needs met. In other words, I still need to work and have an income, and this is really a tough time for me…as it is for many.

Still, I can’t rationalize opening things up on the basis of economic need. My heart goes out to those who will/have lose/lost their jobs and my lose their businesses. But it goes out more to someone who was not irresponsible (partying over spring break even as we already knew we needed to be social distancing), but caught COVID from someone who irresponsibly congregated with others without wearing a mask,probably making fun of us “idiots” who are begging people to exercise some self-discipline and delay the self-gratification of resuming social and business activities just because they WANT things to be different than they are.

I have an idea…let’s go find expansive swatches of land in Montana…Colorado…Oregon…West Virginia…Louisiana…Pennsylvania…and throw up some tents, supply them with food and water, clothing, etc. let ANYONE who wants to enter them and walk around naked rubbing up to each other, if they wish. With one caveat…IF they enter, they CANNOT leave for 2 years. And then let the rest of us show some self-control, wait and be directed by science and testing, and only resume more social activities when things TRULY and significantly improve, and we have a reliable vaccine.

At 2 years, they can come out…but ONLY if they agree to follow whatever the law of the land is about COVID at THAT time.

Right now, I feel like the guy who’s pulled over by the side of the road in the middle of a once-in-a-lifetime ice-storm, while everybody else is driving 70 miles an hour on bald tires. I’m just praying the idiots don’t lose control and slide into me. I can only control MY car…but I don’t have faith in many of the others to exercise good judgement in theirs.

3 Likes

Friend in Houston had open heart surgery today to repair damage to a heart valve caused by covid. He was otherwise healthy. Prior to this, the family were strong advocates of reopening all businesses & ending the lockdown. That viewpoint is now changed after nearly losing a family member to covid.

We can wait a few more weeks to contain & eradicate this virus so we don’t relapse & lose more friends & family.

2 Likes

Swine, the bleeding hearts of this world aren’t the only people who value life. I know that may well be a shock to you.
A risk free life is not possible and no amount of government can change that.

Play ball.

1 Like

If theres no feasible solution for every fan to be tested the rational choice (if you will in this case) would be to test the players only and watch from home. This predicament will NOT be fun whichever side the ball falls on.

We won’t contain, nor eradicate the virus in a few weeks, that’s a fact. If that’s your end goal before returning to normal, and so far, none of the “opening” up rollbacks have come close the normal, then you may never see that day.

1 Like

And yet I’m quite certain you depend heavily on many governments to shield you from various risks every day. Financial, medical, legal, injury risks. All of it. And yet folks like you love the “government, get out of my life” drumbeat.

There’s a fine line between not wrecking the economy and saving hundreds of thousands of lives. Reckless, thoughtless action is not needed now. And, BTW, the use of “bleeding heart” is so 1960s…

2 Likes

Some parts of the world have all but eliminated the virus thru isolation & containment. We may not fully rid ourselves of the virus, but hopefully warmer weather & some level of isolation will minimize it to being irrelevant - same as with the flu.

ut & aTm have announced that they will be open for Fall classes. However, they will immediately close if any renewed COVID cases on campus due to limited on campus healthcare facilities, to protect the students & teachers, & the legal liablility.

I’d like to personally thank you hogdr for being on the front lines of this deadly pandemic. It’s folks like you that are the real hero’s in our world today. One of our best friends back home in Arkansas works at the UA Med Center in LR. She deals with infected people regularly. We pray and worry about her daily. She (like you) goes about her duties with courage but naturally is worried about her health. The stress is something many of us can’t understand.

We’ve hunkered down as instructed to protect us and others. Of coarse we’re retired and can do that without loss.

Just know we appreciate you and the others on the front line of this pandemic. Thank you sir!

2 Likes