Dodging Bullets Down Here

COVID 19 is obviously ramping up in Louisiana, and other places for that matter. My family and I are being careful with a personal notes:

1. My 83 yo father in law just got out of rehab after having TWO different strokes 4&5 weeks ago. Rehab was on lock down where my wife couldn’t see him for the last two weeks, which was gut wrenching. I did not try to see him bc I’ve been seeing patients in our parking lot with COVID. Now he’s back home and doing well thank the Lord!

2. 4 of my colleagues and good friends here have it (two FPs, one surgeon and one OB/Gyn) but luckily all mild symptoms and not in the hospital. One of them(not realizing he was sick…thought his allergies we flared up early in his illness) likely gave it to one of our neighbors, who is now on the vent. And her 80 something husband starting to show signs. So this is how it spreads and scares us healthcare folks. It has strained the other docs that cover for these guys, plus their patients that have been exposed and need testing.

3. I think it’s obvious this hit Louisiana hardest early bc of Mardis Gras. Several of these docs I mentioned above attended Mardis Gras parties in New Orleans and then spread it to each other…they eat lunch EVERY day together at our local hospital. New Orleans’ hospitals are overwhelmed right now, so the government is setting up COVID hospital at the convention center and asking retired docs and nurses to help staff it, plus using medical residents at LSU and Tulane.

4. My opinion is the next month will tell the tale for the rest of the state of LA. Will our surge in Monroe and rest of the state be as bad as NOLA? I’m hoping and thinking maybe not bc of mitigation strategies implemented early up here, that maybe enough to keep our area hospitals from being overwhelmed like NOLA. Our hospital currently has about 14 patients suspected of it in ICU…couple of their tests are back + but all clinically look the same.

5. I also don’t think this is over…we need those vaccines developed and implemented ASAP bc this thing is likely here to stay like Polio and needs vaccinations en mass to protect us. I also think there will be research in those among us who have been infected and are now immune to COVID…pulling blood from these individuals and developing antibody therapy against it for the rest of us. This is very promising in my opinion if it can be ramped up quickly as I suspect it will.

6. This crisis should remind us all that our country should become independent of other countries making our medical supplies and such. We’ve got to put incentives in place to have meds, supplies, vents and ALL our healthcare stuff right here in the USA! That may cost us all a little more money month to month when we need it, but depending on Asian countries to make supplies is not optimal, when a lot of these places are hotspots for these novel new infectious diseases every few years(not to mention the political side of it). We have capacity and intellect in this country to do it, so let’s figure out a way for these companies to bring those manufacturing jobs home! So many newer icu meds are on back order that we need to manage these vent patients.

Sorry for the long rant…I have also been checking on Arkansas stats for COVID. Looks like it’s a few weeks behind LA so we’ll know more by early May. I hope I’m wrong but I don’t see football this fall, unless we have a research/treatment breakthrough this summer.

9 Likes

Thanks to you hogdr and all the other health care professionals for your tireless work with this pandemic.

You folks are our hero’s.

Prayers…

Add my thanks for the front line people. The Atlanta area is pretty active also, but our house is on six acres. No problem keeping a disstance.

The sad thing to me is how ill prepared we were, as a nation.

God bless you and keep you safe, as well as your family. Thanks for the update on the Monroe area. My 95-year-old uncle is sheltering in his home on Bayou Desiard, alone except for his round-the-clock caregivers, and is in very fragile health.

Thank you for your thoughts @hogdr. Your last point is especially important. Some global things are of value, but being able to survive may depend upon having what is needed in our country.

I’m glad that your father-in-law is doing well. I hope your colleagues get through this with no ill effects. Goodness, this is tough on everyone. Keep taking care of yourself.

Read a story on ESPN.com yesterday by their college sports writer Ross Dellenger, who used to be an LSU beat writer. His grandfather is in the hospital in Louisiana after a stroke, but the family can’t come visit him because of COVID-19.

Our daughter was born March 17. I left the hospital a few times before we were discharged to get food and check on our son. Every time I came back there was a new layer of protocol to get back into the hospital. At that time, Washington Regional was allowing one designated visitor per patient; not sure if it has changed since. This is a really tough time for anyone who has family in the hospital.

Appreciate your input Brother…this is a very strange time and a very strange disease capable of killing people but yet most people have very mild symptoms that don’t even require going to the hospital. Mortality rate is around 1% but definitely disease that has to be contained before it really gets out of control. Hopefully in the next few months we will get it under control

Not sure where you get 1% from.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

That is what I would call a complete report.

Talking about in the US is around 1%

I’m with you. Hard to see games this fall.

Doc - I believe you, Wiz, and Richard have it right. i just don’t see football this fall and maybe not basketball. I don’t live in your area, but do appreciate your efforts for folks in your community. I will pray for you and your family’s good health and for your continued efforts in fighting this dreaded disease.

Those are deaths per reported cases, not the mortality rate. We don’t yet have the correct defined population, which would be required to calculate the mortality rate. Who knows how many people have the virus, but don’t bother to get tested because they either A) didn’t have tests available, or B) didn’t have any symptoms and thus no reason to go to the doctor to get tested.

Doc, thanks for your informative post, but especially for the service that you are currently providing to mankind! Certainly the New Orleans area is a major “hotspot” for COVID-19, with the steepest slope of new infections in the nation. Cannot even imagine what you and your colleagues are going through. Hopefully the current suggested/mandated social isolation (distancing) will turn this thing around in the next couple of weeks.

Doc, when you get a chance, can you tell me if you think some random statistical testing would be a smart thing to do? Right now, we are only testing those presenting symptoms. It seems we could get a better idea of the risks if we sampled the total population of the country, across all groups; old, young, region, etc…

I think we will all know by watching what MLB does, they play we play,they don’t we don’t. I think doctors and everybody’s kind of guessing because nobody has seen this virus handle the heat and humidity but if that does not tremendously slow down this virus as it has with all other similar viruses, then you might as well go ahead and cancel all sports until the vaccine is in place
I personally don’t see how anty virus can handle the heat humidity, especially south Mississippi Alabama and Louisiana. I live about an hour from the gulf coast and it is absolutely brutal and Alabama Auburn Mississippi State and LSU are all within three or four hours of the Gulf, I really can’t see the nation being locked down for the rest of the year but we must do what we must do to defeat this demon. God is in control

I sure do agree with you Youda! I lived in Mississippi almost three years about 2-1/2 hours north of New Orleans and you didn’t want to go outside in July and August unless necessary!

1 Like

There is no proof that heat will slow it down. Australia has it. They are in summer.

2 Likes

Actually most things like that prefer an incubator.